on 7 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are three types of people in the world our hero inhabits - ordinary folks, "civilians" who live much as we do; an elite class, the "Sub Rosa" who while being human, also have knowledge of and a facility with magic; and out-and-out supernatural types generally undetectable to the civilians - generally considered monsters, and surely an angel is a monster to some people? Our hero awakes in a cemetery having acquired the only key out of Hell, with a memory of a lost love and a hit list for revenge......
He has a few advantages; having survived a lengthy spell Down Under (Ha! there's never a G'day! in Hell) he's grown up quick and he's grown up mean... but the guy who put him living in Hell is still around, more powerful than ever and he's out to get 'im....
As we progress not only do we find out more about the hero and what makes him what he is... but so does he...
and why the universe is the way it is. There are throwaway things at the start that will become a lot more meaningful once you've got to the end (oh, but how obvious!)

This book is violent, and action packed. Our hero isn't given to forethought or introspection but goes in blazing.
If you are looking for a slam bang actioner - think B-movie or the more effects packed A-movies - then this book will push all your buttons and in the right order.

As a treat, having got to the end of "Sandman Slim" there's a taster from the beginning of the next epic, "Kill The Dead"....

ohhhh juicy. I'll be looking forward to it.
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On the surface Sandman Slim has the requisite requirements to be thoroughly entertaining . It has a relentlessly sardonic leading and is chock full of supernatural hellacious baddies and virulent nasties .
The plot whizzes along and is would seem all is set for a relentless thrilling slalom through the mystical underworld.
However , despite the surface plus points Sandman Slim remained for this particular reader a strangely unsatisfactory experience. The titular (anti ?) hero is pleasingly cutting, and the general tone of the novel is gratifyingly so overall, though that is not too surprising given that said person narrates in the first person. So how come I found him slightly annoying and a touch smug?
Perhaps it comes from knowing that the hero of the piece has spent an interminable time existing within the hellish confines of errrr hell , where he has proven an excellent adaptable killer and therefore when he finds himself back on earth with the rest of us mere mortals we do not get any real sense of peril. No like I say, despite the fact he is a man on a mission, and a righteous one of revenge and retribution at that , Sandman Slim is just too self-satisfied and clever by half. There is no vulnerability , no sense that he can ever be bested or put a foot wrong in a way that will cause him any great personal pain , ort that he he will ever be impaled on the horns of a moral dilemma.
That said Richard Kadrey writes the novel well and the humour is first-rate throughout which is the novels real saving grace. The plot does tend to repeat itself with endless set pieces that drop random characters into the mix. I did not read any of the extended taster of the next novel in the series as to me it is like watching an indiscriminate section of a movie.If I want to read the next novel I will read the next novel .
And having read Sandman Slim I am torn about reading the next in the series. I probably will given the chance but I doubt I would spend money on it. Sandman Slim for all his rough and ready charms is just much of a cardboard cut-out rogue. Too much anti, not enough hero.
on 20 October 2013
Random, fun, fast paced. I didn't expect much but got a whole lot. Thoroughly enjoyable and a series I'll happily continue reading.
on 13 October 2014
After reading all the Dresden File books I was looking for something to read along the same lines and found it in Sandman Slim...
on 15 August 2013
This book is well written and witty a very good read that I found very hard to put down cant wait to read the rest of the series.
on 16 April 2015
Too punk for my taste and not enough character development. Pending doesn't ring true. But great pace and hard to put down.
on 10 October 2013
This books kicks ass... Angel ass, hellion ass and whatever other ass this Kadrey dude can dream up.. It's frickin awesome!
on 11 July 2013
Bit of an oddball, but worth reading. I was gripped until I had finished it, so it certainly draws you into the story.
on 28 December 2014
Constantine in a leather jacket. Loved it from start to finish. It's whisky fuelled demon killing fun for the family
on 20 December 2012
This was such a great book, I would higly recommend it to anyone and I have already started on the second book :)