Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

What a fun read Killing Cupid is!

This is one of those books that is quite hard to say to much about as I don't want to give anything away.

I actually quite liked Alex, no idea why as he is one very deluded individual stalking his tutor, but there was just something about him that made me take to him.

The story flicks between Alex and Siobhan his tutor so it gives the reader an insight into what it is like to be a stalker as well as being stalked.

Killing Cupid takes the whole stalking theme to a totally new level and I loved it. It makes for a gripping and intense ride that chills and thrills the reader. It really wasn't what I expected at all from the description which made it stand out so much more than other books with the same theme.

Great read.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2016
I have listened to and enjoyed Edwards' and Voss' DI Lennon stories on Audible, but some titles, such as this one aren't available on that particular format. This story concerns creative writing tutor, Siobhan who attracts the interest of two of her students. Alex begins to stalk her, but as things progress, who exactly is the stalker or stalkee?

I kept thinking just how clunky the prose was and that the storyline was rather inexplicable. The 'witty asides' were also odd. I read to the end and was glad that I only paid 99p for this title on Kindle.

Hmm.
on 5 September 2013
I bought the novel as I've read the other works by Louise Voss & Mark Edward and enjoyed them. It starts off great and really captures you and you start to really fear about what the male lead character Alex is truly capable of and how far he will go in his obsession with Siobhan. Then following a heated confrontation after a funeral, where the truth all comes out and Siobhan realises that the weird things happening to her was Alex all along, you start to wonder what else is going to be dealt with in the rest of the book as your only about half way through. The book then chucks a complete spanner in the usual types of stalker story we're used to. The book struggled for a while and then pulls you back in. It was a pleasure to read something that little bit different. It makes you realise how easily someone can slip over the bounds of their usual behaviour and do things they would never normally consider. An interesting book, well worth a read.
on 18 May 2017
Had to say, for half of the book I was totally gripped and was ready to give a 5 star rating but I hate to admit this, but the second half is just ridiculous and unrealistic. It would NEVER happen. And by the time I read the ending I was baffled as to how it had come to this point. Full of holes and silliness towards the end. Such a shame as it had amazing potential.
on 17 November 2014
Had this in my kindle library since June last year and only just got round to reading it and I couldn't put it down, read it in two days.

Read a lot of books on my kindle from this author when I discovered him and read The Magpies and recently just read From the Cradle.

Couldn't stop turning the pages a very good compulsive read and also liked the little twist at the end.

Looking forward to reading more in the future and can thoroughly recommend this and many of Mark's other books too.
on 16 May 2017
I did not quite understand this book at first. It took some chapters before I had the jist of the story. Enjoyed the rest of the story especially the ending.
on 10 September 2013
...but wow. I loved this book. Started off creepy and a bit psychological but I could not put this down. The little bit of humour thrown in here and there made this book unique and I loved the way the book changed around halfway through. I won't spoil anything but it won't disappoint. Have since read two of these authors' others and am on another one.
on 18 January 2016
Really good to start, the story was intense with the girl being stalked but then got a bit silly with the stalker and the girl changing roles. A bit unbelievable. Having said that, I quite enjoyed the book.
on 9 July 2012
Killing Cupid from the Voss/Edwards writing duo is the story of wannabee writer Alex, who develops an unhealthy obsession with his tutor Siobhan, and believing he is in love begins to stalk her. Separate chapters cover Alex's viewpoint of the story and then Siobhan's as the story develops.

The thing with this novel as a single woman and a woman who lives alone, is that it does give you the actual creeps as you read it. He lurks in her house unseen, hiding in her wardrobe, he deletes an email which would positively effect her career, and buys her gifts with her own credit card. Alex is a seriously delusional human being who thinks of the day when she "invites him to move in" not as a fantasy or hope but states it in his journal as a certain fact. This is a good portrait of a stalker who in almost every case genuinely believe the object of their affection does or could welcome their attentions.

But, as Alex's behaviour pushes Siobhan to crack under the strain, her own breakdown brings about a whole new chain of events.

The central intelligence of Killing Cupid is that it takes what would commonly be known as the standard chick lit plot "boy meets girl, misunderstandings and obstacles ensue, happy ending" and perverts it making it a subversive version of that sort of novel, like a twisted reflection in a black mirror, the dark side of human emotion. It's like an anti-chick lit, chick lit, behaviours that can seem endearing in those sorts of novels, finding out where someone lives to try and "bump into them" become not the sweet fare of a Hugh Grant love story, but a woman's worst nightmare.

I also found Siobhan's initial response to Alex's withdrawal believable, what woman hasn't felt threatened when someone who said they were in love with you, seems to move on with someone you view as lesser? I think all women have felt that.

Naturally, at the extreme ends of the novel, particularly the end there is a lack of credulity, but in a way this is a necessary evil to complete the journey of the happy go lucky romcom novel through a distorted lens into a murky, seedy world of misfits and danger.

I really enjoyed this novel, the questions it posed about human responses and Alex freaked me out which he was duly supposed to do. I can think of people I know who would like this novel too, and can see why it would be popular. 9/10
on 16 May 2017