Orders from Berlin
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2018
I found this book interesting with a good story to it. At times it seemed to be a little long winded, but that could be down to my concentration, or slight lack of it. I will read other books by Simon Tolkien to see if I get on better with those.
on 14 October 2013
The book started off well but as it went along it was just too obvious what was going to happen next. The characters were not "360 enough" and very one-dimensional. At times it was frustrating as the plotline was so obvious but the pace moved so slowly I found myself skim reading entire chunks of it just so I could finish it.

On the positive side it's a good depiction of life in wartime London. The writer has skill which will only improve given time.
on 7 April 2013
This page turning book tells the story of one man's determination to kill Churchill no matter what the expense. However, in this case it is the expense of the life of a former high placed representative to Churchill. Assigned to the case are 2 detectives; one in a hurry to close the case, the other prepared to risk his career to find the real reason behind the murder.

This fast paced, suspenseful thriller takes the reader from the confines if Churchill 's wartime bunker, to Hitler's residence as well as the war torn destruction of London as it suffers in the Blitz.

Highly recommended for people who enjoy detective novels or WW2 based fiction.
on 2 January 2013
Presented this to my 92 year-old father and war veteran who is not a big reader of fiction of any description. I am happy to report that he could not put the book down and greatly enjoyed reading it.
on 31 August 2016
If it wasn't that I read this book on holiday, I doubt that I would have finished it, and I can't help thinking that the book is selling due to the name of the author.
The characters are only superficial and the plot unfolds in such a way that nothing is a surprise.

Unfortunately I won't be reading any more from Mr Tolkien and I would struggle to recommend it to other readers.
on 18 April 2018
Interesting
on 14 January 2018
Good read enjoyed it
on 18 September 2013
I enjoyed this book. It had a good plotline and characterisation and I particularly like the evocative depiction of wartime England. Being a 50 year old English woman, I have of course grown up with an awareness of what happened to London during the Blitz, but that has mainly been from History lessons and grainy black and white newsreels. Certain passages in this book made me a little ashamed that I had never truly appreciated the shocking conditions in which those people strove to survive.
on 11 September 2015
Hitler decides to have Churchill assassinated in the belief that Churchill's successor would sue for peace. Hitler could then focus on the invasion of Russia without fighting on two fronts. The reader learns early on the identity of the traitor in MI5 who has been ordered to carry out the assassination, and the story is routine, with little suspense.
on 24 June 2013
Part way through this, so, not sure if my review is truly fair.
So far it seems like a re write of the Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins .
I hope this is not the case & that the plot is quite different.