Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 April 2017
I started reading book one as I belatedly decided to give the TV series a go. I normally like horror, crime, thriller type books and wasn't expecting to like this book set too much. How wrong I was; the characters range from likeable to hateful and anything in between, the scenery takes you away and the storytelling is addictive. The books and the programme differ in some ways but the main stories are in both and I recommend both if you enjoy delving into the minds and lives of interesting characters.
on 13 February 2013
The third book in the series brings several lines in the saga to a climax and makes this book the most exciting and enjoyable of the series so far. The writing is rich and well constructed with many twists and unexpected turns in the action and lives of the main characters. The kingdoms are still at war with many claimants to the throne and the north is stirring and moving to the wall.I haven't seen much of the TV adaptation but the book gives a better understanding of the complex nature of the plots and the background. Some people find the listing of families and many other things a bit too much and I partially agree but you they have been well throughout and sometimes off insights and humour which enrich the understanding of the main themes.
I shall travel on to book 4 with great expectations.

Robin Guy
on 17 July 2016
OMG I am hooked on Game of Thrones, I have watched the series and hate that you have to wait a whole year to see the next one. So I decided to read the books. This is brilliant, although the books and the series are set on different paths the overall background to the characters and areas in the 7 kingdoms makes much more sense to me now. Nearly finished this one and onto the next!
on 9 June 2014
Having been watching the TV show I thought it would be great to read the books and get the whole story and background- I wasn't disappointed. Martin's style is amazing and has caused many a late night since I began the series. All the usual book cliches apply- unputdownable- gripping- exciting- sad- thrilling! What a story- what a ride. This has fast become my all time favorite story and even dare I say it has knocked the master of fantasy off his top spot -Mr JRR Tolkien- simply put a masterpiece!
on 15 June 2017
The battle continues as our hero's are losing and those we hate appear to be winning but what will happen in the end.
on 10 February 2013
Just finished third book in the series, what a turn up towards the end, love the way the author, springs surprises, all of a sudden bam, another persons gone, keeps the storyline riveting , wonderful, now on to book four, awaiting season two on DVD to come out, not long now !
on 4 December 2016
Edge of seat stuff...could not put this book down....now I have to wait for next episode
on 19 October 2014
Recommended... Took me a while to realise though, as I was following the tv series too, part 1 is the plot (thereabouts) of season 3 of the show & part 2 is season 4. All the juicy action in this one!!
on 29 April 2017