on 15 December 2017
Whilst I greatly admire Derek Jacobi as an actor, after reading this book I'm not sure I would like him as much in person, though many obviously do and it may be that the book has given me the wrong impression; I hope so.
It was interesting to read of his many successes in film and theatre and on television but it was a bit like reading a De Bretts of the acting profession. For me, the star of this show was the inimitable Maggie Smith but the rest left me cold. I found the writing on the whole, dry and verging on boring at times. I'm sure his can't have been a life devoid of humour but somehow it came across that way and I hardly think it does him justice. A curate's egg for sure.
on 10 January 2018
Derek Jacobs relates his life to Shakespeare's..' Seven Ages Of Man ' from As You Like It. as he gives a lively and interesting exposition of growing up during the Second World War and his development as an actor. An excellent read from a very talented man.
on 19 August 2016
Firstly, thank you Sir Derek Jacobi for sharing your life's journey with us. This autobiography tells of one man's struggle in doing what he does best - act! It has been an intellectual treat to follow this wonderful man's career. This must surely indicate just how great Derek is by being Knighted twice! A great read - I couldn't put the book down. May Shakespeare bow down to you, Sir. I'm sure he would definitely approve!
on 27 December 2013
This long-awaited autobiography covers the 50 years of Derek Jacobi's career as one of Britain's finest actors; what a modest and unassuming person he comes across as being. This no doubt explains why he has had a quietly meteoric career, spanning the stage- his favourite environment- film and TV. There are many films where he pops up as a small but significant character, yet he has never been the 'star'. Interesting that his 1970's TV debut in which he was richocheted to global fame in I Claudius, playing the mad, twitching and stammering emperor in the midst of decadent Roman society at its putrid height, has now gone full circle, since after many years of doing little TV work, he is now starring in two concurrent series Last Tango in Halifax and Vicious (with old friend Ian McKellen). This book is simply written in chunks, just as memories tend to present themselves; it is painfully honest and self-deprecating, moving in places and very funny. Derek is one of our great actors who has achieved success without bitchiness or self-promotion. He should be cherished both as a national icon and a very nice person.
on 19 February 2018
Exceptional good read
on 17 August 2015
Wonderful to read about my all time favourite actor. He comes from the same neck of the woods as I do. Great to rad about places I know personally. Well written and interesting.
on 2 March 2015
This is not particularly well written, but Derek Jacobi is an actor, not a writer. It really didn't matter though because it's such an interesting and amusing read I can forgive him anything. Thanks Sir! :)
on 17 November 2013
Engaging and considered; this autobiography gives a lovely insight into the character of one our greatest actors. Excellent vignettes on life in the East End, in Cambridge and during the early days of the national Theatre. It is a bit rambling, however, particularly towards the second half; so many engagements, so many events. Like life, it doesn't quite hang together coherently.
on 5 November 2015
Bought for Christmas present, but sure she will love it
on 26 November 2013
The man is an actor God. However the book was a bit lack lustre and pedestrian. I still wouldn't want to miss a single one of his acting performances though.