Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 July 2013
I'm not the most creative cook but I love good food and I love artistry in photography. This book combines both. The photographs are examples of very fine art and food delicious. So much so I am loathe to put this book with other cookbooks on my dresser so it's proudly displayed on my kitchen counter for all to see. I look forward to sharing the recipes over a glass of wine with my dinner guests. . It should be a collector's item in a few years from now. Wonderful.
on 4 April 2013
The Easter Bunny graced me with this and I think she is going to be a pretty happy bunny by the time I've worked through these recipies. Lovely photography and some very natty twists on old favourites as well as some refreshingly new ideas. If you arent sure whether you will like this from the reviews I suggest checking out Katie's blog, it is the best advertisement for the book you can get.
on 12 April 2013
I love this book and its been put to a lot of use since I bought it in March. Even the recipes in the breakfast section work well for supper. She has a great blog too with more of her wonderful ideas.
on 3 June 2014
This is a huge TOME, well worth buying and reading when you have quiet time.

For someone with eyesight problems, this might not be for you as some of the text is printed onto dark background photographs so you might struggle with it, but apart from that it's a stunner of a book - huge, weighty and wonderful.
on 28 January 2014
Not only is this an incredibly pretty book with fantastic photos but it also has amazing recipes. I've tried lots - the family favourite is the raspberry and chocolate meringue kisses. I've made this many times for parties and they always get an pooh! The potato garlic gratin is extremely rich but gorgeous. I've taken to occasionally doing this with slightly less cream (replaced by milk or water) for everyday meals but for a dinner party treat I still do the full cream version. The mocha chocolate mousse is to die for and the rhubarb frangipane tart is so easy but looks amazing. I cannot recommend this book enough and I can't wait for the next one.
on 3 August 2013
I pre-ordered this book based on the strength of the visuals and content on Katie's blog. I prefer cookbooks which are as visually pleasing as they are useful. I found Katie's book to be a continuation of excellence of both -- visuals and content.

I particularly appreciate the Irish/British/Australian characteristic of the recipes, with a little bit of American underpinning. This book will appeal mostly to those palates or those interested in exploring recipes which draw heavily on the dishes and ingredients most commonly found in those cuisines today: Irish brown bread with smoked salmon and wasabi cream, Katie's fish pie with crunchy bacon and leek topping, barramundi with pickled radish, green bean, and watercress salad, Vietnamese salad with crispy pork belly, mini beef and bacon Aussie meat pies, fresh crab cakes with hot-pink mayonnaise, pulled pork sandwich with apple cider slaw, beef and guinness pie. There are a lot of salads in the book as well, and many sides dishes which are quite simple and light but flavor rich. And of course there are the decadent desserts.

The photography illustrates the way in which the food is enjoyed-- abundantly, all in, nothing prissy, and no hospital corners.

I understand that Katie, previously a graphic designer, designed the book as well as shot the images, developed the recipes, and styled and wrote it all. That's a huge undertaking, and she has pulled it off seamlessly. Many creative professionals excel in photography or styling, but not both. While it is obvious that I am a fan of Katie's work, I think the other reviews which say that the text is hard to read because of the lack of contrast with the background have unfairly criticized. I've reviewed every recipe in the book to see where that happened, and it hasn't On dark backgrounds, white text has been used which clearly stands out, and on lighter backgrounds, black text has been used, again, a sharp contrast. Some people may have difficulty reading courier new, or whatever the font is, but that is quite subjective, as I am able to read the book print (and what's on this screen-- same size, similar font) without a problem.

There are tons of cookbooks out there, and the cream rises to the top. Katie's book is beautiful, the hard work shows, and the food in it is good. We all have different ovens, cook in different environments, so tinkering is inevitable (as with most cookbooks I own). What matters to me, is that these work without egregious error.

Katie deserves the highest marks, and if you have friends who like to cook, entertain, or just like beautiful books, this is the perfect gift.
on 11 February 2014
I love a recipe book that I can sit and read as well as cook from. This chef is a fantastic photographer too. I bought this as a gift, but sneakily tried out some recipes first. I'll definitely be buying one for myself. Makes a great coffee table book.
on 9 November 2013
This book is just stunning the photography is to die for. The recipes make you want to cook and bake them all. I would recommend this book and I keep telling people to buy it. Love it.
on 29 May 2013
Can I review this book without buying it? You see, I had a good look at it in a bookshop and decided that the innovations in graphic design that it uses were just too much for an old fuddy duddy like me. The likes of Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and dozens of book publishers over the years, have foolishly spent tens of millions of dollars on researching things like non-glaring but highly contrasting surfaces to maximise the legibility of text without straining the eyes of the reader. Similar amounts have been wasted on the science of complementary colour schemes and developing the best typefaces appropriate for different styles of published text. Whole volumes have been published on the fundamentals of graphic design as applied to the written word - simple ground rules that optimise the ease with which a text can be read and its information assimilated with pleasure and without error.

All this effort could have been diverted to something more useful if those involved had simply consulted the designer of this book. For here we have several different typefaces on a page, and many different colours of page background - several of which offer little contrast with the text. There is not one design scheme for the whole book, but several - often involving colour combinations distracting to this reader. The overall impression is that this is not one book but many, and it is not clear where one ends and the next begins - or why. The random use of typefaces gives the impression of naive experimentation - or pretension. I want a cookbook to present complex information in a simple way, that is clearly legible in the often awkward confines of a kitchen, and is not likely to be misread. This book fails dismally on those counts, and that is why I will not buy it.
on 20 February 2014
Perfect book, really good recipes, fantastic photos and get really fast.

Recommend this book to everyone who loves cook photos