on 17 February 2014
Sorry to be dramatic but please be sure you know what you are buying. The 5 star reviews are for the excellent BBC recording which I thought I was buying. This is NOT that recording. It's a truly awful american recording from the 1970s with cartoon style voices and I quit listening within 5 minutes. I'm hoping I can get a refund.

I know the Lord of the Rings is 5 stars and the BBC Michael Hordern et al recording is 5 stars or thereabouts but this isn't it.

Be careful, all.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 December 2014
This is a review of the Alan Lee illustrated paperback box set. It includes The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

Why you should buy this set:

- Gorgeous covers
- Well-printed maps
- Large enough to feel substantial without being obnoxiously heavy
- Alan Lee's illustrations are delightful
- Crisp text
on 17 June 2013
It is easy to see why this is one of the world's most popular books! An epic tale of friendship, love, care and devotion to a task, filled with twists and turns from start to finish.

Everyone should read this, it took me 27 years to start and I wish I had read it 10 years earlier- which would allow me 10 years more to re-read it...
on 21 September 2016
Little pricey for what it is (there are no illustrations inside by tolkien, just the book covers), but reads well, and the unfolding map in every book is both beautiful and useful. I haven't read the companion book yet, but it's a plus, and a thick one.
Always good to return to the books and give Pippin and Faramir their charisma back!.
on 22 October 2013
Went to the post office after school, and picked up these sweet books. The box was rather large, for the size of the box set, though. I totally don't mind, but I just thought that the box was a little bit too big. Not 100% necessary. OVER ALL, VERY PLEASED. THANKS.

Ought to keep me a bit occupied for the next couple of weeks, heh.
on 11 September 2013
One of my all time favourite books. A classic tale of friendship, adventure and mystery. Follows on from the Hobbit beautifully. If you have seen the films and enjoyed, read these books, it gives a better understanding of the characters and the history of the one ring! I personally have read and reread these books beyond count, spellbinding!
on 27 February 2013
My package came completely damaged and ripped ! And one of the books is also scratched and damaged ! So the three stars are for the box set not for the books cause the books are amazing ! Greatest epic fantasy ever written !!! If you are a fan of Tolikan don't try to save money and buy this cheap box set !!! Go and buy a hardcover edition !!
on 26 January 2013
I read this in my English class as an 11-year-old and have fond memories of it. As the film was coming up, I suggested to my 10-year-old son that we read it beforehand and see how the film compared. We didn't manage to read the whole thing before the film but happily it was far enough! It is a rollicking good read and my son is loving it.
on 16 January 2015
Well known and loved fantasy derived by Oxford don from Norse and Germanic traditions lost to post-reformation Britain. Now an element of modern culture worldwide through film. While Tolkien's writing can be turgid in places, the story and its scope make it worth the effort. So much more rewarding than the films, excellent though they were.
on 16 October 2012
If you are stuck for a present this year, for either Children or adults who love the spirit of Christmas, this is a winner!

I've spent the last two Christmas eve's reading letters to my Children and nephews who are absolutely enthralled.

Its also great for some inspiration if you want your Children to receive letters!