Customer reviews

30-Minute Vegetarian
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 July 2012
I've hardly put this book down since I bought it. I have a number of Rose Elliot cookbooks but this has become my official favourite! I can't recall ever having a cookbook before where I felt inspired to cook quite so many of the recipes.

There seems to have been a lot of thought in the selection of the ingredients. The fresh ones are (mostly) very easy to find. And many are standard store cupboard items. It annoys me when I accumulate exotic ingredients I don't use again because idiosyncratic recipes. But no worries here.

And the recipe instructions are short and simple so you can scan read easily.

But it's the freshness, colour and texture of the recipes - with substance and crunch (which makes them great for regular meat eaters too, I think), which I love. And, in typical Rose Elliot style, she's given a lot of thought to ensuring a good balance of nutrition and protein.

For me, many of the Everyday Suppers are good enough for entertaining. I'm not so much into fancy dinners and think you can't beat simple, fab-looking, good tasting food.

I do wonder if I would manage some of the Food For Family and Friends in 30 minutes - but, as I prefer more informal entertaining, I don't suppose anyone would mind too much if I overran a bit. Having said that, some of the recipes have steps you can prepare ahead.

The book has gorgeous photos for many of the recipes.
on 6 November 2015
Simple tasty recipes. Borrowed from local library but I wanted my own book for teference
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really dont know how long Rose Elliot has been around- I seem to have grown up with her, so at least half a century and I suspect more. The book is suefully divided inot soups, snack, suppers, food for family and friends, salads, and sweet things. The illustrations are good and inspiring, but not every recipe is illustrated; this is a no-no for my wife and partly for me. I find it useful to know what you are aiming at in recipes. But I will forgive it that, for it is packed with recipes. Like the jamie oliver series, you will only do these recipes in 30 minutes if you are well organised. Nice book, inspiring- open it and you will want to try them.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
this is a really nice book even if like me you are not a veggie, the spagetti putanesca recipe is awsome and id buy it just for that . there is also a nice recipe for staples like macaroni cheese that i usually just make up but this is much better. the list of yummy foods is quite endless bhajees, raita,salads, soups, spanacopita red onion tarts ans pilaf are some of the dishes. the greatness of this book for me is in the fact that they all seem fairly simple to make and would appeal to vegetarians and non vegetarian and there are more simple recipes for the beginner cook like omletes and lentil bolognaise.
a good book for everyone!!! student would probably like it.
why not five stars??? as one of the other reveiwers said ,not enough pictures. there are a good few though but not for ever dish and even if its a small photo i eat with my eyes and i like to see it before i make it.
overall really well presented and i made my mouth water , im going to work my way through this book and make most if not all of these recipes, and i dont say that often
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
30-Minute Vegetarian is a good collection of recipes that take around 30 minutes to complete (some are a little longer, although but not by much). The book is attractive and the photography is lovely. Unfortunately not every recipe has a photograph - I prefer to see the finished product either to give me inspiration as to what to attempt and also so I can try and make my version look the same.

Each recipe has a little introductory paragraph but it really just describes the finished recipe rather than giving any cooking advice. A large number of recipes have a 'tip' at the end of the recipe which gives ideas on different ways of cooking, 'how-tos' for preparation and information such as how to freeze. It's a shame not more of the recipes have this because the information in each is very useful. There are also some 'make it vegan' suggestions for some recipes.

There are a variety of recipes and the book would be suitable for the novice cook - roast potato wedges, thai stir-fry, butternut squash soup, couscous with roast sweet potato and mexican bean salad are some examples of the easy recipes. However, even the more involved recipes are not overly difficult because they all take about 30 minutes to get on the plate.

I tend to use more spices and herbs than most of the recipes suggest but I do prefer a stronger flavour with my cooking.

Overall, recommended but to be 5 stars it needs more photographs of the finished recipes.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Apart from a short introduction and some notes for cooks, this book is crammed with 140 recipes. What is impressive is that these are real vegetarian recipes, many of which are suitable for vegans but, where they are not, useful footnotes describe how they can be modified for that purpose. What I also like is that, unlike many "vegetarian" cookbooks, it is not full of tofu and soy dishes vainly trying to emulate meat, but never succeeding.
I am not a vegetarian but, like many people, I have reduced my consumption of meat and have come to enjoy meat free meals two or three times a week. In this book, I have found enough interesting and appetising dishes to tempt me to eat more vegetables whilst ensuring that this will never become boring. Apart from main meals, there are a number of soups, starters and salads to try, and a tempting section of tasty looking deserts.
The ingredients are well listed and the cooking or preparation method clearly described, so it seems likely that the "30 minutes" claimed in the title will not be too far out. There are a number of full colour illustrations and, if I have a criticism of this book, it would be that there are not enough. This might, however, be that the missing illustrations are of the dishes I most fancy trying.
In summary, there is sufficient variety in these recipes to satisfy a diversity of tastes; I recommend it.
on 15 January 2013
This book looks and feels gorgeous - lovely quality with some mouthwatering pictures - and would make a great present for the vegetarian with limited time! However on looking more closely through the recipes I became more and more impressed and enthused.

Rose includes some classic recipes such as pasta dishes, salads and tarts - all of which look delicious - but also includes a variety of dinner party dishes that are designed to impress (can't wait to make the red onion and goat's cheese tartlets, for example)and I was delighted by the wide variety of interesting spicy or Asian dishes, which make this book an exciting culinary option.

This is a nicely planned book, with a focus on practical and quick meals, yet it makes it clear that it is possible to create some genuinely exciting veggie feasts in a short amount of time, making it a good choice for those of us who are too busy to spend hours in the kitchen. I really think Rose has produced something unusual and exciting both for her long established fans and for new converts! I would also recommend this book for the vegetarian student or young cook - lots of recipes to attract them here. Highly recommended.
on 17 July 2012
I brought this book on a whim without having seen any reviews but I'm very glad I did. I already have and regularly use the Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals, its great but falls down by being too heavily meat based - not a problem with this one!

Rose admits that a couple of the recipes stretch the "30 minutes" to their limits (so probably 45 minutes for us amateurs) but to compensate there are several that can be achieved in well under 30 minutes, or require little prep time and are then in the oven or on the stove for the rest of time.

The courgette tart is my favourite so far, very easy, very quick and absolutely delicious!
on 17 August 2014
Insufficient number of photographs. Is it that the more famous you are, the less expense you have to go to to sell a book. Found the same with Rick Stein. Thought that the almost pictureless Bean Book, etc were a thing of the past like an old Marguerite Patten book.

Back to Dorling Kindersley and Lorenz books.
on 16 January 2013
I was looking for a present for a young vegetarian man who is not exactly inspired by cooking! I was delighted with this book. It is full of recipes to appeal to all ages from curries and stir-fries to cosy warming suppers and family classics. It also has some gorgeous pictures and feels solid and good quality. My son has been really pleased with the book and actually has begun to eat better! I was genuinely surprised at how many incredible simple but exciting meals Rose Elliot has created in this book. A vast number seem to contain very few ingredients but are combinations I would not have thought of. It is clear that Rose has a knowledge of vegetarian food and possible combinations which gives her books the edge over other vegetarian recipe books.