Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2012
I bought this for a ten year old, had a quick look, and did not want to put it down! This really is a lovely story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, bereavement is dealt with sensitively, and a thread of hope runs right through the story. The illustrations are beautiful, all in all an uplifting read.
on 10 May 2014
A lovely and moving story
about a young girl still grieving for her dead mother. She befriended a blind and dumb boy also a homeless man and a homeless dog. This story will appeal to all ages especially dog lovers and compassionate people. Would definitely recommend this book.
a lovely
on 27 December 2012
I thought this book was very emotional, beautiful and descriptive. I'm a dog addict and I adored the book.
There are some tipping mistakes but otherwise I really enjoyed the book! Hope to be reading more of Sarah Lean's books!
Elia (12)
London
on 10 January 2013
What a beautiful and intriguing story this is. It's a story about how a family, but especially little Cally and her dad, come to terms with the tragic loss of Cally's mum. Cally stops talking completely because no one else seems to want to talk about mum... she falls in love with a dog called Homeless, makes friends with a boy downstairs (who can neither see nor hear) and sometimes she sees her mum.
I can't begin to sum up this story in a few lines, because everything about it was just so beautifully written. I never expected things to work out the way they did, and I could hardly read the last few pages for the tears in my eyes. It's sweet, innocent, unbearably sad and yet full of hope and love at the same time. I totally recommend this book to everyone - children and adults alike.
on 12 July 2014
I had a great time reading this book. Sarah Lean has weaved a beautiful tale of friendship and turned words into pictures. When I read this, I was thinking 'They don't need to make a movie of this book, Sarah Lean has already done that.'
The main character in A Dog Called Homeless is a young girl a called Cally Louise Fisher who , as it states on the back, hasn't spoken for thirty - one days. As I was reading this, I felt that I was there the entire time, watching the story unfold.
on 20 August 2013
I really loved this book and even though there were a lot of tears, the writing and characters were beautiful. It's such a beautiful story that you'll want to read over and over again. I think this book is ideal for teenagers and adults also, don't be fooled by the many pages the book has - the print is very spaced out. I'll admit I was a bit surprised by how big the book was, even though once you've started reading it will be impossible to stop.
on 6 July 2013
I loved this book it is a bit wird but that dousnt matter to me I loved every second i read this book

would I suggest it to a friend?
yes i would because I think my friends would love this book

should you read this book?
yes I think you would but it might only apeal to a certain amount of people but i say give it a go.
p.s I am Jamses daughter sorry for the mistake infront o ogf daorghter
on 22 July 2013
A beautiful story of family, loss, and belonging that shouldn't be missed. One book that will make you re-read many times.
I just couldn't get psyched up for another dog story. However, once I began reading it I was pleasantly surprised. Touching and sweet, with a very slight touch of the supernatural. This book is good choice for those who can handle an emotional book. Cried through much of it. Great for middle-grade.
on 26 October 2012
This is a lovely book. light easy to read very touching with a heart warming ending, adult or or younger read.
on 22 April 2014
i loved this book. we are planning to use it with some reluctant readers of 11 & 12, some special needs children as well as the wider population.
I think it has all the elements to be a hit, good use of language without being too difficult, real life situations and difficulties without being too issue driven.
It is a great story and one to provoke plenty of discussion. i loved it myself.