on 3 March 2017
I am ten years old . I would rate this at five star because my grandma bought it for my and I loved it .This is a really good book by David Walliams and I would definitely recommend this for children over 8 years old . This is also funny because dentist don't actually do this.
15 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 April 2015
This is another fantastic book from David Walliams but most definitely one of his darker works.
As mentioned in several other reviews sensitive and younger children will likely find the dentist absolutely terrifying.
I actually soldiered on through the chapter when Alfie is trapped, restrained and tortured by the dentist inwardly preying and expecting for the funny stuff to happen to balance things but it just didn't, she rips all of his teeth out with horrifically described torture instruments and he escapes with no teeth at all.
It IS a funny story (in places) with some great characters as usual, Raj the newsagent is a big favourite of ours but I would definitely NOT recommend this for kids under 10, and especially not for any kids who have the slights fear of dentists!!
We really enjoyed it and It is a good theatrical read to treat the kids to if you still enjoy reading to them as I do.
9 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2015
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Well, I have to confess, I have never really paid much attention to the multi-talented Mr. Walliams in any capacity. Some people you just don't take to for absolutely NO REASON at all - and it isn't fair, yet we're all guilty of it whether we admit to it or not, yet whilst in a book shop some time ago, I was drawn to this book which I opened and read the first few paragraphs which had me nearly collapsing to the floor in fits of hysterics, but placed it back on the shelf - and this I did on about three occasions before taking the risk and actually buying it. I wish I'd purchased it first time around! This is one of the VERY, VERY ,VERY best and FUNNIEST books I've ever read, and I've been reading a number of books for young adults and children lately, and as I haven't been well, this has been more than a real TONIC for me! There were numerous occasions when I actually laughed out loud as I read, and I don't ever recall doing that with a book - not ever! The illustrations are FABULOUS from Tony Ross - they're SO full of life, enthusiasm, and in tune with each and every character - they could have been drawn by Walliams himself they seem so accurate and authentic to the personalities!

SPOILER ALERT!

The characters in this book have SUCH substance to them; characters I will never forget and recall with much humour in `Miss Root' and `Winnie' (the social worker) in particular for as long as I live! Even the characters that played a very small part had marked differences from each other and seemed real!

When I first started the book, I really believed that with what seems rather a substantial read, could not possibly have maintained the same momentum throughout; I really felt it would have to slow down and the humour diminish somewhat with its progress - how wrong I was!! The story and narrative kept up its unique style and quality throughout, and towards the end gave that much needed excitement and unpredictability that any really good children's book of today really needs in bucket loads! There's also surprises; I thought for a long time that the social worker was in league with Miss Root!

From the amusing `KNICKERGATE' encountered with Miss Hare; the mere sight of Winnie crawling through a hole and losing her clothes on the way to reveal a bright orange bra that would hold footballs - and large pink knickers that would house kids in a small tent - to the speeding of the social worker on her moped through the school corridors during the big chase - to hearing Winnie: 'Oh my word - look at the boy's teet' - Alfie: 'my teet?' - to mention just a mere handful of hilarious gems that will have you roll around the floor with laughter in this... Sue Townsend was SPOT ON when she said Walliams' books will become classics! With just a hint of modern technology, (not over done) this story could be set in any era - which is really the secret and type of stuff that makes classics that can be enjoyed for generations! This was SUCH a delightful book and SO enjoyable to read, I was SO sad to reach the end of it - I just wanted it to go on and on and on! I just know I will read it again and again...

I'm particularly impressed to learn that this was not David Walliams' first book, and as so often with good writers, their books do not always get better, and so I see he's written several before this, and I will most certainly be purchasing them ALL - and can't wait to get my teet in to them! (no pun intended!)

Cannot praise this book enough, and if this is the same standard as Mr. Walliams has been turning out since 2008, then long may it continue - and long may he reign for giving so much laughter to kids of all ages - even ones like myself in their sixth decade!!

FABULOUS STUFF & worth every single penny!! (can't believe anyone would give this less than five stars...)
4 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 October 2013
Bought by my 10 year old daughter. She's a huge David Walliams fan and has read all his other books including Ratburger and Billionaire Boy.

Demon Dentist is quite a dark tale and like all of Mr. Walliam's books his story telling is so colourful that the horrors of some of the things going on almost leap off the page right at you.

My daughter was hooked on this book from the moment she opened the cover. And she took great delight in reading to me some of the more gross or scray passages, just to see how my reaction. She loved it! And her younger brother can't wait until he can read it all by himself.

There's no doubt in my mind that David Walliams is one of the best children's authors out there today, giving us books of universal appeal and enjoyment whether you're a girl, a boy, aged 10, 20, 30, 40 or more.

Recommeded reading for child aged 8 and beyond!
8 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 October 2016
Another humorous read from Mr Walliams. Super villains and a great story plot. The illustrations really compliment the story.
5 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2017
I love all the David Walliams series , funny and slightly crazy, the Demon Dentist is no exception. I read them to my 10 year old son every night , they always keep me entertained.
The Demon Dentist is slightly darker than some of his books , with the fact the dentist being a witch who pulls all the kids teeth out but it's outrageous enough to not to be taken seriously . First class *****
2 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2017
Another great good book from David Walliams who obviously understands what children love to read.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 October 2013
After recently reading Gangsta Granny I was quite eager to read more by David Walliams. He's funny, his books have great illustrations and children absolutely LOVE them. After reading my second book, Demon Dentist, I'm not a die-hard fan but I do want to read the rest of his back catalogue - always a good sign!

Demon Dentist, for me, is even better than Gangsta Granny. It's deceptively dark, gruesome and truly frightening when you deconstruct it. It's about a demon masquerading as a crazy dentist hellbent on ripping every child's entire mouthful of teeth out, leaving disgusting, vile 'gifts' under their pillow as a treat (like badger's paws and bat's wings, for example). I'm not sure how a younger reader would take this book, so it might be best to say it's for older children, maybe 10+. The illustrations are fantastically sinister, with Tony Ross perfectly capturing the grotesque Demon Dentist and her creepy cat, Fang.

As seems to be the case with David Walliams books, or at least the two I've read, they end on quite a sad note, which I find unusual for children's books. I don't know whether he's trying to teach kids a lesson about loss and grief, or prepare them for the inevitable, but it seems out of place, especially in Demon Dentist. I felt so sorry for Alfie, and I'm sure children reading it will, in some cases, be distraught!

This is a perfect book for me, thanks to its humour, horror theme and accompanying pictures. I like my children's books to be dark and disgusting wherever possible and, thanks to my lifelong phobia of the dentist, it seems Demon Dentist was written especially for me. I'm so glad I'm above the age when teeth are wobbly and fall out, because I would not like to go to bed thinking I'll wake up to find a horde of centipedes under my pillow. I hope kids don't lose much sleep after finishing this book!
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 January 2014
This is the latest in David Walliams acclaimed novels for children, and very good it is too. His books are exceptionally popular at our school and I have several copies of them all, which are all out on loan. Demon Dentist is on the children's wish list, and one of the books I will certainly be buying for the library in the New Year. My son requested it for Christmas, and we took it on holiday with us on our New Year break, and all read it with much enjoyment.

Walliams' style is unmistakeable. He has a mischievous pen, delighting in jokes and oddness. In this book he coins lots of new words, which really should have been words all along. I was delighted to see the return of Raj, the bonkers newsagent, who pops up in his other books, and I thoroughly enjoyed the macabre supernatural twist that this book has, that makes it wonderfully different from his other works. My favourite is still Gangsta Granny, but this is of just as high a quality and will only serve to cement Walliams' reputation as a top children's author even more firmly in 2014.
on 29 September 2017
A decent read (audiobook)... but a bit scary at the beginning for the kids. But the story is quite touching regarding the boy's relationship with his father, I won't spoil it but the audiobook is pretty good as the tension builds throughout, quite a gripping yarn.
One person found this helpful