on 7 September 2009
These guides have improved vastly from the Nicholson guides I originally bought in the late 70's/ early 80's. Colour OS maps help information to stand out clearly and the spiral binding means the pages you want stay open on the barge roof (wind permitting) when you are navigating (very helpfull on junctions or other places where decisions are required - and not just how much ketchup you want on your bacon butty). There are a couple of things they could be more helpful on though. Firstly, pub/ restaurant/ shops are mentioned, but a note as to which bridge is most convenient or safest to moor would be good. Similarly, notes on general safe/ secure/ legal overnight moorings, particularly in built up areas would be useful. Is all of Oxford safe or are there places to avoid ?
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 April 2017
Bought this so I could plan walking the Grand Union Path. It is a bit heavy to carry walking and found another map better however it does give you a good scale of the waterway network and ok for planning purposes. I would definitely recommend to those boating on the waterways.
on 18 April 2017
Probably the definitive canal guide but as other reviewers have commented, was also disappointed that the 2016 version missed several changes, and not recent ones either.
on 19 September 2016
This was bought as a gift for a family member, who is living on a boat , and they said it was perfect. Another friend , who has an older vresion of the same book, said it was much better than theirs and they would be borrowing it! The spiral binding is especially useful. The pictures and maps are very clear.
on 22 October 2017
I am sure that this is a great book. Having paid for the Kindle edition and downloaded it, I find that it is actually not compatible with the Kindle, nor the Kindle Cloud Viewer; it is only compatible with Amazon tablets and mobile phones. I should have delved down into to the deep details before buying. I will try reading it on my phone, but am disappointed and will probably die a horrible death as a result.
on 24 February 2013
When I bought a set of 'New Edition' Nicholsons Guides immediately they were available, I mistakenly hoped for improvements on the earlier edition, with real updates. I should have known better - information still out of date, sometimes by more than a year. Still, that's Nicholsons!
on 23 July 2017
Just returned from a week's narrowboat holiday on the South Oxford Canal having purchased this item in advance. It was excellent and indispensable showing clearly all locks, bridges, water points, winding points, pubs, places for restocking provisions, etc. Would definitely recommend.
on 17 September 2017
I was looking for a map to walk the Grand Union Canal from London to Birmingham. This book is good but I found the maps hard to read and a bit confusing. It wasnt immediately clear which way direction to follow and the symbols are quite faint. But That said it was very useful and I'm glad I had it with me.
on 1 December 2012
Being a great waterways fan, this edition is upto date & fantastic.
Hoping to visit the Olympic Park Waterways next year, & the South East, this edition is a MUST!
I have got the full Nicholson's Series now, ALL from Amazon, so that is the place to BUY.
Can't wait to explore the waterways with Nicholson's. Well done & thankyou.
on 19 May 2016
Ordered for a break in September but looks better than a Thames version we bought last year Now shows water & pump-out points & supermarket or local stores