on 30 November 2002
These books were an important part of my childhood and I've just bought this edition for my son of 3 months... I couldn't wait until he was any older because I was desperate to get back into the warm and cosy world of Brambly Hedge again. The illustrations are just perfect, you can spend hours just looking at one picture, often finding some small detail that you haven't noticed before. The stories are wonderful and deal with situations that interest even the youngest children such as a surprise birthday party, an adventure into the night, and hiding under a table piled high with food at an icy winter party! My mother read these stories to me and I'm really looking forward to be doing the same for my son.
on 19 December 2000
I first read these books when I was a child, 20 years ago, and I still enjoy them now! The pictures are a sheer joy - every time you look at them you see something new, the detail in them is amazing. The tales are delightful, original and charming - as for the characters... they're just adorable! As children's books go, Brambly Hedge is in a league of its own. WELL worth buying, these are stories you'll want to keep forever.
on 9 March 2010
Perhaps I'm borrowing words from previous reviews, but really those are two extremely apt words to describe this book. Not only are the stories perfect for reading to children, but the illustrations are superb - I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy flicking through them for my own benefit as well! I'll definitely be keeping this to pass onto grandchildren and I'm sure they'll enjoy it just as much.
on 10 August 2009
If you want a book that combines old-fashioned Childrens' story telling with delightful illustrations, this is it. My two year old loves it.

Jill, why did you stop? Please come out of retirement and give us more!
on 9 December 2014
Lovely stories with gorgeous fine detailed illustrations. A really beautiful book and one of our daughter's favourites. We must have read it 30+ times
Also really good value because contains many stories...
on 3 March 2013
I just recently found Jill Barklem's stories and was thrilled to find all of them in one book. The illustrations are marvelous.
on 18 June 2013
This is a beautifully illustrated book with stories to stimulate the imaginations of children and feed them with a banquet of tales to fill their minds with wonder. If you were brought up with stories of wild animals of Beatrix Potter and Wind in the Willows, you will love this book. It captures the wonder of what life would be like for the creature living just below the ground. They take on life like personalities and are dressed in beautiful frocks and gentlemanly suits and the attire of the old world, lace and ribbons abound! Perfect for reading to the grandchildren to settle them off before bedtime into a world of ultimate slumber, smiles on their faces and dreamy looks in their eyes. Wanting to fall asleep quickly so they can tap into the world of hedgerow creatures living in secluded tree stumps, with china adorned kitchens and pantrys, and a log fire crackling. Turn off the TV and open this great little book and you won't want to put it down, and sweet dreams to you!
on 11 September 2015
My daughter was bought this book as a gift and I must say its so beautiful. The mice live in such a wholesome little world. My little girl is completely enchanted them. She spends half her time checking out tree stumps to see if that's where Wilfred is!
on 5 February 2013
I adored these books as a child so I thought I would revisit them and I was really pleased to find all the Brambley Hedge stories in the one book, including ones I hadn't read.
The illustrations are beautiful, detailed and heart warming and the story lines sweet, imaginative and fanciful. There are ongoing themes of friendship, community spirit and sharing throughout the whole timeless collection.
I get completely absorbed into the quaint little world that the author has created. I adore these stories and will continue to enjoy them with all of the children in my life.
The book itself would be too heavy for a much younger child to hold but it makes good bed time reading and perfect for confident older readers too. I quite enjoyed having the 4 individual seasonal books when I was younger but this book makes good sense if you want to save space or take all the stories with you at once.
I am sure this will be treasured and passed down the generations in our family. If only the real world was as lovely as Brambly Hedge!
on 16 November 2013
I was so glad when I found this complete collection, and just had to buy it. I have at least 4 or 5 of the books included in here from when I was small, but they are rather sticky and well-read having enjoyed them so much at the time. The stories are lovely, and the pictures are just incredible! Every time you look at the detail in each image you can see something new. I love the simple life that the Brambly Hedge mice lead, with their joy of fine food, comfortable nests, and good company- something for me to aspire to in life!