1,546
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2011
GRRM is too clever by far in this book. The number of plot twists started to irritate me. It is fun to expect the unexpected but when your predictions are completely wrong then you have no idea what's coming next. It isn't quite non-sequitur, like Family Guy, but sometimes feels not far from it.

This book sees the introduction of the Iron Islands story thread which I really don't like or enjoy. I can't find anything likeable in those characters and I don't particularly enjoy reading about them. Part of this is because I really enjoyed the Stark's, so I feel a natural enmity here. This story thread becomes a bit more interesting in the last couple of books but I still think it could have been omitted entirely.

Enjoyable but finish it quick to get to book 3 which I think is a better read.
on 3 December 2015
Wonderful, as are all the books in the series. Can be read before, during, or after watching the marvellous TV series. There are certain differences in the story lines of the books and the TV series, so interesting to compare the two. Bought this for my son, to introduce him to the books, as he found the TV version very entertaining.
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2014
In a sense it is of course quite difficult to review the books in this series individually as they are parts of one mega long continuous narrative. However, I would say I didn't enjoy this second book quite as much as the first, and the plot seemed to be treading water in parts around the middle, though the final chapters picked up. Also some of the point of view contributions seemed superfluous, especially those of Daenarys Targaryen. There are some dramatic passages and shocking deaths or apparent deaths (no spoilers). I'll certainly continue reading the series, though feel no urge at the moment to leave gaps shorter than a few months between each one - the appendices of Houses and characters at the end of each volume are an aide memoire to the reader in catching up.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2011
If the first book in the cycle, A Game of Thrones, set new standards, a Clash of Kings raises the bar even higher. Following on from the shocking conclusion to the first book the story continues with the emergence of 3 more potential claimants to the Iron Throne,Without giving too much away the story lines started in the first book continue, with one obvious exception, and new voices are added, not all successfully. Again there is the strange mix of stories from children, and some very adult material, sex secenes (Badly written) and magic. If one thing lets the book down it is this, I believe it is about 50 pages too long. While I appreciate the skill of Mr Martin in his descriptive passages, these could easily be trimmed without losing the sense of the story, or its characters.
on 27 August 2016
Love the tv series so thought I would try the books as they are normally so much better,I wasn't disappointed.The only thing I found was that it was very in depth and had to give it a break for a few days to process everything I had read !
VINE VOICEon 8 March 2013
The book I think is very good, with only occasional lapses in readability despite the ENORMOUS length. This edition is on thin, grey paper that will turn to dust in a few years, but it was cheaper than the Kindle version. It is still as thick as a brick, despite the quality of the paper. Pay the extra pound and get the better paper version, or pay another fifty pence and get it on Kindle.
on 23 August 2016
Never been a big reader til I discovered Game of Thrones. After finishing the first book, I couldn't wait for the next one. It doesn't flow quite as smoothly as the first one, but is still an undeniably entertaining read.
on 7 April 2016
I don't normally read this type of fantasy novel, it's just not my cup of tea but given all the hype about the TV series on Sky, I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised. It took a bit of determination to get past the first few pages but once I began to get to grips with the story it was a really good read. I needed to constantly refer to the family trees at the rear of the book as I don't think I have ever read a work of fiction withso many charactors. Having read the book I am hooked and have ordered the next one in the saga, I might even be tempted to watch the series on Amazon Prime.
on 1 July 2013
No spoilers in this review.

I have arrived very late to the Game of Thrones party but boy am I happy to have finally got here!

Have heard so much about the book series from my friends and of course you can't read a paper/mag nowadays without the TV series being mentioned but so far I have managed to avoid the plot lines/cast being revealed and have no intention of watching the TV series until all books have been read and I have made my own mind up on what the characters looks/traits are.

So on to the review, a great second book and once again well written and devised. Geoge Martin certainly tells a good story and the twisting and turning of the plot is simply the best.

If you got through the first book thirsting for more then the second one gives you what you need - there is layer upon layer of treachery/deceipt and the characters are extremely well-rounded and believable.

I have known people read these books who are not Fantasy fans and to be honest whilst for all intents and purposes the book belongs in the Fantasy section, I would not class the Game of Thrones as a stereoptypical fantasy book. As other reviewers have said, it doesn't contain mighty wizards sending lightning bolts everywhere nor does it contain elves/goblins/orcs. However, I have only just started book 3 and a lot of my friends who have finished the series smile knowingly at me which makes me thing that this believable world will change!

A great second book and I already know that when I reach the end of all 5 then my world will be an emptier place!
on 4 December 1999
The first novel grasped me and didn't let me go. The continuation of this "realistic" fantasy, as I call it, is never far from its predecessor. Intrigue, politics, love, war, mysticism, plots and counter - plots, revenge, sorrow, shocking development... It has all been in the Game of Thrones. In Clash of kings it almost goes through the roof. Excellent, but.... I cannot get rid of the feeling Mr. Martin has decided to present this series slowly. There is just so much detail he goes into (detail not being bad, mind you) in this book already! What of the next two or three, or four. Surely the Clash of Kings sets the stage for the big picture, but I would like the third part to be a bit more of a roller coaster ride! All in all, the book is fit for those who can stomach a bit more realistic portrayal of the average fantasy genre. No easy romance here! Rating - I gave it 5 stars, but if I could I would give it 4 and a half.