on 17 March 2017
Simon Callow is well known as an actor but deserves to be even better known as a writer. His insights and interpretations. Into the man and the writer are shrewd and witty. Callow the actor turned writer is a mirror image of Dickens the writer turned actor. But I'm sure Mr Callow is aware of the neatness.
on 12 March 2017
Reading it now
on 29 September 2017
Superb book
on 15 February 2012
I cannot recommend Simon Callow's book highly enough. I wanted a history of Dickens to fill out my understanding of the man and his life, hopefully to add depth and enjoyment of my reading of his books. Mr Callow breathes life and vibrancy into Dicken's life. The book flows quickly and effortlessly. You feel you are there with Dickens, feeling every experience with him. There maybe more in depth and technical histories, but none more accessible!
on 19 February 2014
I chose this book because it looked like an easier read than other biographies available, especially as I wasn't sure that I actually wanted to read a biography about Dickens. I thought it might be a bit dull. My goodness, how wrong I was! I can't recommend this book highly enough. For a start, if you don't know anything about Dickens, which I'm ashamed to say I didn't, prepare to be amazed and mesmerised (did you know for example that he was brilliant at putting people into trances? Maybe everyone knows this and it's just me who didn't! Once, he even put his wife into a trance by mistake!) I'm only half way through the book and had to stop to write this review as I feel I'm now on a mission to get everyone to read it! It might be a lighter read than other biogs, but it's fascinating, complex, funny, enthralling and more besides, full of incredible details about Dickens' extraordinary character and exploits. I can't ever remember a tv drama about Dickens, what a missed opportunity. I want to make the book last for weeks but can't put it down, so it may be a long night!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 March 2012
Callow has written a superbly readable and affectionate account of the great man's life, viewing it from the perspective of how Dickens' love for the world of the theatre influenced his life and work. Interspersed generously with Dickens' own words, taken from his correspondence with friends, we get a real feel for his massive personality, his sense of fun, his unstoppable energy and, yes, his occasional pomposity too.

Callow doesn't shirk from telling us about the less flattering aspects of Dickens' life - his appalling treatment of his wife, for instance, and the occasional bullying of his poor publishers. But he also reminds us of the social campaigning and the generosity to family, friends and colleagues. The account is a linear one, so we find out what Dickens was involved in at the time of writing each of his novels and get a feel for the inspiration for each one.

Callow concentrates in considerable depth on Dickens the showman - the many theatrical performances he wrote for, played in and directed in his early life; and then the tremendous and punishing public readings of his own works which came to dominate so much of his later years. Here was an author who gave generously of himself to his adoring public and who thrived on the adulation he was shown in return.

I've been in love with Dickens the writer for most of my life and now having read this sparkling biography I have fallen in love with Dickens the man! If I tell you that I cried when Dickens died (not an altogether unexpected plot development) then it will give you some idea of how much of the humanity of the man Callow has managed to reveal. I have been left wanting to re-read so many of the novels and stories, not to mention the letters - thank goodness for my copy of The Complete Works.

An exuberant and boisterous biography - a fitting tribute to this remarkable and exuberant man. Highly, highly recommended.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse