on 9 June 2016
The lack of colour photographs make it more or less useless as a text book to be used for gathering food.
on 14 March 2017
Handy little book for when out camping or foraging for berries or roots for cooking.
Good information, illustrated nicely and recipes and ways to cook each plant, berry or mushroom.
Really handy to know what mushrooms and fungi you can eat without risking being as high as a kite having hallucinations that your being chased by a giant Mars bar.
A nice little book to have on the bookshelf, will come with me when I go camping and want to try my hand at making nettle soup for supper.
on 12 March 2017
Brilliant little book! I'm so fascinated with the fact I had no idea so many common plants are edible! Can't wait to give it a try on nature walks. Perfect size for your pocket, beautifully layed out. Even contains a recipe glossary, plant glossary and calender for picking seasons! Highly recommend
Richard Mabey is the king of food for free authoring.
We have several of his books and have used them to try out what the hedgerow has to offer. We own a small holding and knew that most of what nature produces free every year was going to waste and with rising food prices needed education on how to use what's there more effectively.
This book backs up his other writings and includes lots of extra information on collection, identification and cooking. It's hard to believe that it is possible to feed yourself year round in the UK without the need for supermarkets. We are not going to go that far but using Richard's books have saved lots of money and are probably healthier for it.. We use stinging nettles, Alexanders, Blackberries, Field mushrooms, nuts and wild fruit in our diet now on a regular basis. There is plenty more out there and this book is extending our knowledge much more and there was a few other things we will be trying.
Overall an excellently written and illustrated book.
on 19 July 2017
This book won't help you to eat for free but the author makes this clear in his introduction. Rather this book is a great resource for foragers and those with an interest in the history of what people ate and when. The book covers what plants can be eaten, how they can be used, where they grow an what times of year to find them. It's not a definitive hotricultural encyclopedia but it is a great pocket book to have if you want to add supplement your diet with some new (or rediscovered old) ideas.
Yip, I still have my original paperback version of this (but will give that away to a friend now I have treated myself to this updated, hard-backed, better illustrated version) and it really is an invaluable source of trusted information if you like to forage in the wild and not poison yourself!

This book is beautiful. Beautifully presented, high quality production - a hard-backed version of a classic title.

Super-sized glossy pictures that make what you are foraging easy to identify and also comes with plenty of superb recipes for things to do with your find.

I love this book, so I've bought it twice over the years.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND (will be good in this downturn we are having in the UK .... save yourself some money, pick your own in the wild and have fun whilst you are doing it and get exercise and fresh air)

10/10
on 22 November 2016
I bought this book to keep in my bug out bag as I lack wild food knowledge.Its a good size and lightweight. The pictures are clear with good information. Recommended for the hiker, backpacker or someone interested in finding their own food in the wild.
on 24 July 2017
It is a pocket book,there for easy to carry around if out an about,might order the bigger one,it has a wealth of information on various plants and there uses,very pleased,delivery was quick an packaged well.
on 18 August 2016
Great book. Perfect size for traveling and good, clear print. Decent font size. Excellent content and I really like the little chart at the beginning of the book; it clearly shows all the months of the year, with all the plants and berries that grow during them. Would recommend!
on 8 March 2017
A classic I should have bought years ago! Mabey is the grandaddy of foraging.