on 28 January 2015
I have used the hardback version of this dictionary for years and now that I travel and write, the Kindle version means that I can always have it at my fingertips.There is little point in reviewing the dictionary itself – it is well established as one of the major English references. The main reason for my review is to disagree with those who have described the Kindle version as difficult to use. It isn't. Searching for a word couldn't be easier whether you are using the paperwhite Kindle or, as I do, the Kindle reader on an iPad. You simply type the word you want into the search panel and it appears instantly, possibly with a couple of choices. Click on the one you want and the full definition(s) appear. How difficult is that?
on 31 October 2014
Brilliant and easy to use. I have the Kindle version and I am always consulting it as I love my crosswords. Would recommend to all.
thought it a bit pricey at first until I received it, but its not for what you get.
on 18 July 2017
what I wanted
on 21 May 2017
Does the job it should
on 26 April 2017
Very helpfull and easy to use.
on 24 February 2012
This is a large dictionary, one for the bookshelf, not a carry-around. It is comprehensive, well bound and the entries are presented pleasingly, with quite a lot of etymological and historical detail. It has a modern, contemporary approach to definitions, as well as including the classical ones, and what I liked was the wealth of biographical detail - why, even Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe gets a mention! This gives the work a slightly encyclopaedic aspect. Internet and computer language/jargon is well covered.

Good value for a modest price.
on 28 October 2014
good
on 3 September 2012
Collins English Dictionary is a good dictionary. Yes, it is! It is so good that I own each edition from the 6th to 10th edition. The idea to buy a newest 11th edition has formed in my mind for quite a while. With the release of the 9th edition, the publisher provided a free download of a Windows-based application for print version owners. The 10th edition was published at the time when mobile devices were growing in popularity. I was happy to have an iOS version of the 30th anniversary edition, i.e. the 10th edition, running on my iPhone 4 and iPad.

An electronic version, either Windows-based or iOS-based, has proven highly efficient, portable, and usable. It's hard for a user like me who feels completely at ease with electronic versions to go back to use a dictionary by turning pages. I've shelved my plan to buy an 11th edition pending a direct reply from the publisher. Unfortunately, the publisher remains indifferent to my query regarding the above question. I sent three emails to the customer support at HarperCollins Publishers last month. Nobody has replied to me so far. What's wrong with HarperCollins? Should I believe they keep publishing good dictionaries?
on 16 December 2013
As a edictionary, this is a failure in that one can not search for a word without huge difficulty, or a wait so long that it's possible to make a coffee in the time it takes. DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY WORDS THERE ARE, OR HOW GOOD THE DEFINITIONS IF YOU CAN'T FIND THEM. Don't buy it!
on 9 January 2014
Whilst this product works perfectly on Windows 7 PC it does not work on either Kindle Fire or Android smart phone. This is recognized by Harper Collins on their website and it is a pity that this is not made clear on the Amazon website. See [...] Collins English Dictionary & Thesaurus