on 1 April 2017
Pretty good especially when you get challenged about words others challenge as 'not proper'.

Could be improved by a duplicate listing all 2 and 3 and 4 letter scrabble words at the front of the main dictionary (as 3 separate listings). This does suggest a skimming approach which isn't entirely within official rules but makes home games richer and gives an opportunity of memorise or at least be aware of some very handy words.

Useful and has allowed me to keep countless scores that otherwise would have been rejected. It's presence is not universally popular however!
One person found this helpful
on 13 April 2017
Bought as a gift for my mum, a Scrabble fanatic and part of an ongoing Scrabble group. She has nothing but praise for the helpfulness of this dictionary in-game, though she's complained it's hefty size understandably makes it less portable.
One person found this helpful
on 7 February 2015
I am very good at Scrabble now!!
It's up to date using 'now' words.
When I am wanting to improve my word power I play by myself and use it to look up words I think might be right or to learn meanings of new words my computerised Scrabble kindle game throws at me.
I read a few pages too, sometimes, just for fun.
I have always loved our language and words.
It makes a great companion to an ordinary dictionary.
So, for any other Scrabble/word vslied out there, buy one, it's great fun.
on 19 August 2017
A great easy-to-use dictionary as you'd expect, nothing too amazing or appalling about it. The binding has frayed a bit over the years after frequent use and is barely holding together, but has served its purpose well.
on 3 March 2018
There are words you would not think exist. Yet they do and you find them in this great aid. Every Scrabbler should have one!
on 8 December 2012
Having had The Official Scrabble Word book for more than 20 years. and found it very good for finding words, I have updated the OSW and am buying THe Scrabble Dictionary to give away as Christmas presents to family members, who I know enjoy playing Scrabble.
The Scrabble Dictionry, says it in the name, gives meaning to many words. When I have checked on the viability of words before and an opponent says what does that mean, I can now give an answer. Magic !
on 5 April 2010
I bought this paperback dictionary on the strength of all the excellent reviews, not to mention the lowered price. I was very disappointed when I received it as the type was so small that I would need a magnifying glass to read it. It was also printed on poor quality paper of the type that quickly goes yellow, which would exacerbate the problem of lack of clarity. Five stars to Amazon though, for a quick and trouble-free refund on the return of the book.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2011
Before i purchased this book, any word challenges would have to be looked up in a normal dictionary, but this dictionary is much more helpful - it tells you exactly the words you can have, even down to if a word can have an additional 's' on the end unlike working it out with a regular dictionary. Also its improved the playablility as discovering new words especailly those very obscure two letter words, has been great fun! Unlike other reviews, i found both the quality of the paper and the size of the font more than suitable.
on 15 August 2013
The binding of the hardback edition I purchased started giving way after six months from purchase, The pages just came off loose and no amount of sellotaping could restore the book to a usable condition. It is a shame that there is no 12-month warranty on this item and there is no recourse to any body for this defect. In addition to this I noticed that several words are not properly defined. I realise that this is not a regular dictionary but even then there is no excuse for not giving the most common meanings of words.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 19 December 2016
Present for a friend who's shareable mad. They've been very happy with it. More definitions than normal dictionary.