on 14 April 2008
This book seems to be exactly as described, and is perfect for UK Scrabble words. Bear in mind that this is not a comprehensive dictionary in so far as only words upto nine letters are included, and the descriptions are short. However it is great for Scrabble, and crucially includes all variations of a word such as plural, different tense etc. Fully worth the money!
on 8 November 2007
This book is brilliant for all families that enjoy casual word games.

It is comprehensive and authoritative, so it contains all the words that should be allowed in a word game, but aren't in grandma's 1963 edition of the Concise Oxford dictionary that you keep next to Delia on the bookshelf.

Due to it's very brief format and small print, it's small and light. You can take it on holiday with you.

Because it's a dictionary with definitions rather than just a word-list, you can learn what the words mean, which is a great aid to learning.

It can be used for all word games such as Boggle, Upwords etc. not just Scrabble.

Highly recommended
Most things have been covered in other reviews here, but I ought to add that if like me, your Scrabble games are punctuated with 'debates' (ok - arguments) about the validity of words, this will change your Scrabble-playing life!

There are older editions available too, under the name OSW (Chambers Official Scrabble Words), which can sometimes be a cheaper option, but with this book selling at a reduced price like it is now, seize the moment and buy one - you won't regret it!
on 25 February 2009
Best I've seen, 25 Feb 2009
By J Healing (uk)

I have looked at several different scrabble dictionaries. In their descriptions, Collins have made it extremely difficult for scrabble players to know which scrabble dictionary to buy.

I like to have a book with as many words as are allowed, and to have brief meanings of the words. This book does both.

Because of the muddle of scrabble dictionaries published, I would urge you to check the ISB number, because the covers and the descriptions alone might lead you to buy the wrong book.

# ISBN-13: 978-0-00-721359-7

So I would very much recommend this book, which I am very very happy with.
on 31 December 2009
Purchased this book as a present. Fast efficient delivery, excellent value for money. Gives word names and also the meanings for the words. Comes with a hard cover case(useful). Ideal for the electronic scrabble games that throw up words that you have never heard of..Very Very pleased...
on 22 November 2011
The Scrabble dictionary is a great tool, it solves all the arguments on what words are allowed and how to spell them with the added bonus that unlike some of the scrabble dictionary you also get the definition for the word. It is amazing the number of 2 letter words that are allowed and have you seen the number of words beginning in Q that don't need a U. Handy size and easy to read.
on 22 April 2010
What a revelation! I had previously been using an ordinary dictionary, which was slow because of the long definitions of each word. Not only is the Collins Scrabble Dictionary much quicker to use but the number of admissable words has been astonishing. I get much higher scores now.
on 24 November 2009
Very good dictionary,contains up to date scrabble words which are also very easy to look up.
on 10 September 2010
A great help. But very small lettering and no 2 or 3 letter word list. The old paper back had both. Sad they missed them out in the hard back deluxe addition.
on 7 February 2015
I am very good at Scrabble now!!
It's up to date using 'now' words.
When I am wanting to improve my word power I play by myself and use it to look up words I think might be right or to learn meanings of new words my computerised Scrabble kindle game throws at me.
I read a few pages too, sometimes, just for fun.
I have always loved our language and words.
It makes a great companion to an ordinary dictionary.
So, for any other Scrabble/word vslied out there, buy one, it's great fun.