on 12 December 2013
English to German = I have been self learning German for 4 years now and am very slow. I have used many books and tried different systems of learning the language and have to say that this dictionary has proven an excellent source for referral- not only for the words themselves but the contexts in which they are used, the gender, and many examples of use in the various past, present, perfect etc etc etc. which i found in particular difficult to get into. Since buying this particular dictionary I find I get quite absorbed, having looked one word up it leads me to others and so on and I find my memory is improving through this type of exercise. I would fully recommend it to anyone especially those at the beginning of language learning;

I also think that the other half of the book German to English will be equally helpful to those learning English.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 December 2012
I am just starting to learn German, so I'm writing the review from this perpective. I can't comment on it's usfeulness of otherwise for advanced students.

It starts with a few pages and an ongoing quiz, explaining the rules of grammar. There is also a verb table in the middle of the book. This explains how verbs change depending on the context. Thus, fahren is to drive/to go. However, the word will change depending on how is doing the driving (me, you, her, she, them etc)- the middle of this book lists the different versions of the word. This is useful, although for complete beginners I think it might be useful to become comfortable with the rules of German grammar and the concepts (gendered verbs etc) first. Other books can help that.

There is also a small phrasebook type thing in the middle.

The dictionary is clear, and states the gender of the noun alongside the word, which is handy ( eg, armchair is male, so "Der Sessel" etc.) There is an english to German section too.

Overall, this book is excellent to help you learn German, but doesn't quite stand alone, although it isn't meant to be a "stand alone" book.

Be sure you get the most up to date version, the one I bought was seventh edition, 2012.
on 12 November 2012
I bought this dictionary for a 12-year-old just starting to learn German at school. It is entirely suitable for a beginner of this age as well as for adults. It is much more than a traditional dictionary, with additional sections on grammar, writing e-mails etc. It uses colour, underlining and shading to make particular entries stand out. There are plenty of example phrases or sentences showing how a particular word in used. In addition there are 'language tips' beside some entries to help the learner write or speak in German, or translate into German. In places there are also 'did you know' points which tell you something about Germany.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 January 2017
Previous one eventually fell apart through years of use, this is a replacement, so yes -pleased with it
on 11 November 2016
Good dictionary that arrived very quickly. Easy to use and as new.
on 14 November 2013
I was advised by the school to buy this particular dictionary for my daughter as she started secondary school.

Very good delivery and she has found it very easy to use.

As a parent it has an English to German translation so helpful when supporting your child.
on 15 April 2014
Purchased this as I was studying German and was very terrible at it. This helped a lot and showed how to structure sentences with the correct words. I would recommend this product.
on 14 December 2011
I bought this book (along with the Collins Easy Learning German Grammar book) and both are excellent - the important/most common words are highlighted which is very useful if, like me, you are trying to learn German with no prior experience in the language and have no idea which words to start with! For many of the common words it also gives example phrases showing you where and how to use the words.

Very good value and, once again, it arrived before the estimated delivery date - thanks Amazon!
on 20 June 2013
Useful for helping in writing to a German friend as I try to get to grips with the language.Some words I want are omitted, but then it is small enough to be fairly quick to use.
on 5 November 2015