on 3 July 2015
I am a great fan of history from the pen of Mr Starkey, he is both knowledgeable and able to transfer this intelligence in an easy to understand way.
Don't get me wrong though, you do have to concentrate, but if you can there is a lot to find out about our monarchy and its foibles.
on 12 April 2013
I bought this item to gain more of an understanding about the progression of the British monarchy throughout the ages. It does a very good job of filling in the blanks about some of the periods in our history with which I was less familiar and provides interesting anecdotes about the more famous monarchs along the way. The style in which the author narrates the book is actually very engaging and was the right way to go about it in my opinion. Some readers may expect a different narrative style if they are used to reading other books in this genre.
on 8 May 2013
This is a very readable book and is a very good overview of the history of the rulers of England. It is only concentrating on England so is by nature anglo-centric. The period around the tudors is best - it is the author's area of expertise. The earlier and later periods are less good, and some monarchs are dealt with in a way that seems to say the author wasn't interested in them so couldn't be bothered to do any research. There are occasional salacious touches which seem to be aimed more at titillation than history.
Overall a good easy read - but could have been so much better.
on 29 December 2010
In my view this is a well written and page-turning book, interesting and apparently factual. However there is a lack of any form of bibliography - one must take on trust Starkey's writings. I think this is quite poor for such a worthy subject.
on 7 March 2013
My history knowledge is woeful, so I was looking for a book that would tell me the stories of ALL the monarchs. I could then buy books on individual monarchs if I wanted to know more. I found this and although I'm only a third of the way through it, I'm loving it. It's well written, and gives me exactly the level of detail I wanted at this stage of my......'education'. :-)

This book is a must if you want a potted history of English monarchs.
on 21 March 2012
Superb. Easy to read and understand. Nobody does it better. Parts of history which are not easily understood become clear in Starkeys capable writing. Starkey and the Tudors are as one but to produce such an expansive volume on the English monarchy shows what a master of history he is. Reading Crown and Country is a must for those whose knowledge of history before the Tudors and after William and Mary, is woolly. As an academic subject of study history was way down the list but David Starkey has rekindled the interest. This book has broadened that study to discover more about the early kings and queens of England before the Tudors.
on 18 March 2014
From the dawn on England through the glory of the British Empire to nowadays, this books tells you everything you want to know about British history, and it does so in a beautifully detailed and interesting way...
A piece of advice? Don't miss it!
on 27 October 2015
A useful overview for someone like me who dropped History as soon as possible at school. An enjoyable and easy read. Whether Starkey's view of the future of the monarchy is correct, only time will tell.
on 9 February 2011
OK. there is a couple of mistakes, which I must say I don't think I would have spotted.
It is two previous books combined, but it also fills in a gap between them.
You have to balance the fact that it is perhaps not intended as a University text book and that it is very readable.
Personally I recommend it because it is so absorbing, and has given me a view of things not given by other books, which may, or not be University text books. I would even recommend that University scholars should read it !
on 21 April 2014
Firstly, this is -as one would expect, wonderfully well written - clear and engaging. It might be thought that there is little new to be said about the Monarchy, but David Starkey looks "behind the throne" to examine the implications and effects of the various reigns, and shows how events and decisions long past reflect on the present day. His analysis of the modern Monarchy may be a little controversial, but this, above all, is a book to make you think!