Format: Hardcover|Change

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This low fat cookery book or 'pudding, biscuit and cake book' goes to prove that you really can make delicious desserts without using butter.

So far, I have made the Low-Fat Baked Lemon Cheesecake, the Guilt Free Sticky Toffee Puddings and The Healthy Bread and Butter Pudding. Of the three the latter maybe didn't work quite as well as the original full fat butter one does. I would also check that the low fat spreads you use are suitable for baking with because not all of them are. I quite fancy making the Carrot Cake as well although I will use full fat cheese for the icing/frosting as neither my husband nor myself care for Quark. As neither of us eat cakes or puddings a great deal anyway it seems a small change to make.

This book also had the great appeal of having photographs in it so you can see what your finished product is supposed to look like.......some of my attempts didn't exactly look the same but they tasted good for all of that.

The book has several sections 1) Large cakes 2)small cakes 3) breads 4) cookies (or biscuits to us Brits) 5) Hot desserts 6) Ices and Sorbets and finally 7)a chapter called Extras.

This is a great addition to a cooks library particularly if you have high cholesterol, wish to lose weight or have had a triple bypass like my Husband and need to watch your diet.

Highly recommended by myself and 'Him Indoors'.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very 'nice' book. By that I mean it looks good and is practical and easy to use.

I must admit, neither I or my wife (who is the cook in our house) had heard of Sally Bee before but she is a pleasant looking lady and it was interesting to know she's survived 3 heart attacks all in the same week.

I say interesting because a concern for healthy eating is a theme that has been applied to this book and its true the receipes are reasonably healthy though my wife didn't find them more than so.

The actual book features some very bright & colourful pictures, with simply laid out receipes that are easy to follow. A nice touch is most of the ingredients are easy to find and there are some unusual receipes too such as caribbean bananas!

So far my wife has baked a couple of cakes (spicy apple muffins and the gooey chocolate cake) as well as the soda bread.

All turned out well (my wife is an experienced & very capable baker) though we didn't like the soda bread at all!

A good book, maybe no better than many others of its kind, but bright & cheerful with some slightly unusual receipes and fairly healthy ingredients.

A nice thing to have or give as a gift!
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Cakes bakes and cookies for the health concious.
Plenty of tasty recipes using healthy spreads tofu, low fat ingredients and less sugar.
I liked looking through this book and thought the recipes looked tempting but a little lacking for my taste.
the book is well set out with good clear instructions and almost all the recipes had colour full page pictures.
If you are wanting to cut down on fat then this is a great choice for you, she has lots of tempting ideas such as
Fat free Strawberry victoria sponge, low fat brownies,Rye bread, Courgette and cranberry loaf, hot choccy soufflé, blueberry muffins and gluten free cookies.
worth a look
on 16 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a cook book specifically aimed at heart friendly recipes rather than being dedicated low fat or low cal. This isa point that could be more than a little misleading to anyone buying the book thinking that it will be diet friendly... Since recieving the book I've read up on Sally Bee and what caused her to write her books in the first place. Definately eye opening!

Onto the receipes, there's a good selection - many require the use of heart friendly spread, now I'm not sure where I stand on this one as when I bake I want to indulge! However there are times that you want a sweet treat but don't want to go the whole hog. The pistacio cake at the beginning of the book and the flapjack reciepes have both been successful. I plan on working my way through some of the pudding receipes over the coming weeks.

There are a few niggles I had with layout, these have been touched upon by other reviewers - having a page turn mid-receipe wasn't a great publishing decision but don't let that put you off getting the book!
VINE VOICEon 14 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sally Bee always looks so healthy in her photographs that I feel sure her recipes must be very good! I have another of her cookery books, which is also good, but this time she turns her attention to cakes and deserts. As Sally says in her introduction, the recipes in her book are still classed as treats, even though they use less fat and sugar. Smaller portions sizes and not eating deserts and cakes too often are all important. So if you are going to make a cake for the family, why not make it more healthily than usual? Other reviewers have complained that there is still too much fat & sugar, but there's no such thing as an entirely 'guilt free' cake, so surely it's better to make them as healthy as possible. Some recipes just don't use much fat, while others substitute the fat for apple sauce or prunes to provide the moisture. Some things don't taste quite the same, but for me, I think I'd rather have these recipes than no cake at all.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a great partner to Sally Bee's 'The Recipe for life', which I have used regularly over the past year, but found a little too healthy ;)

Oh how I wish this book had a picture for every recipe. I do like to see how things are supposed to look.

That moan aside, we have really enjoyed this recipe book so far. We have made the chocolate orange cookies and the carrot cake. Both were really tasty - the carrot cake especially so (although we added more icing sugar to sweeten the icing!) For any fellow WeightWatchers out there, the recipes, whilst billed as being 'healthy' were rather pointy.

We are looking forward to trying one of the many recipes that uses apple puree to replace the fat.

It would be lovely to see nutritional information given. As a WeightWatcher, it is a pain having to work out the points without this given.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was quite surprised when I first read this and found quite a lot of sugar,chocolate and nuts in the recipes,as I had assumed these were bad things,but Sally explains at the beginning that the recipes are for occasional treats, and she gives portion size guides for each one eg. Serves 8,so you know how many slices to cut it into.
She says that when we are down in the dumps,a bit of sugar can boost the endorphins and give us a lift,and I am certainly down with that!She has a lot of interesting ideas,like making flapjacks with apricot puree instead of butter,and it's really made me realise that you can replace unhealthy ingredients with healthy ones and no-one will notice;at least my family hasn't so far,it all just disappears down their throats!
Heartily recommend this book,(little pun there),and hope you enjoy your sin-free treats!
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
firstly if you already have a low fat cake book there is nothing new to you in this book , fatless sponges ect. that said if you have a weight/health issue you will find a good assortment of "healthier" versions of some nice sweets.
however i dont like the cover of this book , the tape measure on the front screams diet book to me, and i dont think this will help you loose weight, cake is still cake even with less fat , sugar ect.cake even with less calories is never going to be a healthy choice (just take a muffin for example).
this may just convince you that you can eat alot of these cakes and not worry about the consequences as they are "healthy cake"
however these are good workable recipes for the occasional treat with a little less guilt and calories, so if thats what you are after this is a good choice
on 22 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have Your Cake & Eat it Too is billed as being a book of "sin-free treats". There are certainly some lovely cakes in here. My favourite recipes were in the cookies section and I think these are the recipes that most successfully pass as the real thing. As with many low-fat cook books the substitutions weren't always to my taste. I think this book should really have been subtitled low-fat treats rather than sin-free treats. Low-fat dairy products/fats or substitutions for these ingredients are used in the recipes, but there is still a lot of sugar in this book. This is certainly an attractive book and I found the recipes reasonably easy to follow. I am not sure what this book offers that other low-fat cookbooks do not though.
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Some interesting recipes with reduced sugar and fat content through some rather quirky ideas. For example using apple sauce rather than sugar, or oats and seeds in muffins. Low calorie foods no longer need to be tasteless! Illustrations are available for every dish and there are plenty of recipes across cakes, breads, cookies, puddings and hot and cold desserts. Each recipe has a small preamble, setting the scene, without being patronising, yet with a genuine feeling of warmth. 'Have Your Cake and Eat It' is a kitchen friendly hard-cover and offers you a smart and friendly opportunity to eat well and enjoy it.