Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2017
Experimental fiction at its finest. This book is a classic.
on 22 January 2014
Bought as a gift and enjoyed by the reader
on 17 February 2012
It was entirely refreshing to read a book which ditches the usual flim flam and tells a engaging story in the fewest possible words.

The text makes you believe that the author is writing from memory and has actually experienced all that she describes.
on 23 August 2011
Set in Beverly Hills in what I think is the late 60's, early 70's, we meet Maria, an actress out of work, just as her marriage is ending and she is going through a nervous breakdown.

If I'm honest there was very little substance to make Maria a convincing central character - She comes across mostly as a beautiful but empty vessel being buffeted by the many masculine egos in her life. The back cover suggests that Maria is about to do things her own way for a change but I saw more eating disorders and addictions than independence - She is constantly 'trying' to eat something, popping pills and being sick.

I feel like Didion has attempted to create a novel about inner female strength and resignation set in glamorous Hollywood, but the result is superficial and depressing. It's not all bad though - I found the rhythm hypnotic and surprisingly addictive. Its short chapters provide brief snapshots which are almost cinematic in quality, but the quality of these are quickly lost in the longer chapters. A bit of a depressing and pointless little book, but not the worst read I've been subjected to.
on 8 January 2013
Fantastic. Entertaining. The first book I read from Joan Didion and I cannot get enough. Captures its time perfectly. Never a dull moment.
on 8 May 2014
This was a weird book as in chapter construction. I persevered with it and ended up quite enjoying it. You do have to give it a good chance tho.
on 3 October 2013
This is a very interesting story and extremely well written. The characters and locations are vivid and alive and the story pulls you in.
on 18 January 2013
I purchased this book because I needed to read it for my class at uni and it was I thought hard to get into but then a fantastic read.