Wonders of the Universe
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 April 2014
a lovely hard back book purchased to go with wonders of the solar system they made a great birthday present
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
He makes the the subject of space interesting to read about, hence that is why i gave the book four stars.
on 2 May 2013
I brought this as a gift for my brother in law and he loves it. It arrived very quick and well packaged.
on 31 December 2013
My wife tells me that he is absolutely wonderful, even though she has no idea what he is talking about.
on 18 December 2013
It was a birthday present for my husband and he really enjoy it. So I can recommended for geeky boys :)
on 16 February 2015
Excellent book, compliments the series. Illustrated through out. Technical but understandable.....just!
on 7 February 2013
Great book can't put it down, hope there is another book on the way. Will look forward to the next one
on 2 December 2013
A good read with parts that take some comprehension. It opens your mind as to how small we really are.
on 18 December 2012
For Science Geek 14 year old. Hope he is enthralled. I will read it too and learn so we can discuss.
on 12 October 2011
This is a very good book which does not disappoint and it is a worthy companion to the tv series. The style is appropriate and the book is lavishly illustrated. I particularly liked the sense of wonder and excitement that pervaded the writing The concluding pages were especially good in bringing us back to the amazing situation in which we can (begin to) understand this wonderful universe. It was also good that the sense of mystery remained - in that we do not have all the answers.
Only a couple of points did disappoint.
Firstly the explanation of gravity left me feeling that I am thick or had missed something; "Gravity is simply a curvature of the space-time continuum" That did not feel like an illuminating explanation to me.....
Secondly in the section on the Arrow of Time an attempt was made to predict the future fate of the universe. This was based on the rule of increasing entropy or disorder and seemed very reasonable. However, it was then admitted that the thinking is flawed (because it implies that in the past there must have been a highly ordered universe and we can not imagine how this arose). Given the (admitted) difficulties with the theory I thought that the future fate of the universe should have been stated less dogmatically.
I might have gone with 4 or 5 stars - it only gets 3 because I have the highest regard for the authors and expect perfection from them; perfection was not quite achieved, but they came close.