Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2016
I’m going to be completely honest here: whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this second book in the series I did find myself somewhat annoyed by the number of predictable moments that appeared throughout. Admittedly there were some twists and turns that I did not see coming but most I managed to work out in advance which disappointed me a lot more than I care to admit to. Nevertheless, if you have read the first in the series this second book is a must read: continuing on with what started in Sanctus.

Much like the first it is fast paced and keeps you entertained throughout with the characters we grew to love (or maybe hate) in the first book. Whilst more questions are answered, ultimately to have everything brought to a conclusion we need to pick up the last book in the series to know how everything plays out. So, if you’re a fan of the series I recommend continuing on to know every secret that exists.
on 10 August 2013
I kept willing this book to live up to expectations after reading Sanctus, but sadly it did not. It's very unlike me to take longer than 2 weeks to read a book, but this just showcases how little a page turner The Key actually is. As much as I wanted to know what happened to the characters, the sheer far fetchedness and improbability of events meant I kept putting the book down in frustration, only picking it up a couple of days later, just determined to finish it. A bit too far off track from the original Sanctus, however it did finish on a great cliff hanger, so now it's up to me to decide if I take the bait and buy the third instalment. An annoyingly average read.
on 23 August 2016
I was lucky enough to find this author by chance and read this and the prequel within a fortnight. A fantastic story that will have you on the edge of your seat. My tip is to buy the trilogy together so you can read them one after another, and not wait for the next.

Would recommend this book and its author to all who love mystery and suspense or just if you fancy a change.
on 28 October 2016
AMAZING FOLLOW UP TO "THE SANCTUS" (TRILOGY 1). IF YOU LIKE THRILLERS WITH A POWERFUL RELIGIOUS THEME LIKE DAN BROWN'S "ANGELS AND DEMONS" OR "THE DA VINCI CODE", THEN THIS KEEPS YOU GRIPPED UNTIL THE END AND WANTING TO READ THE LAST PART OF THE TRILOGY STRAIGHTAWAY, WHICH IS CALLED "THE TOWER".
on 23 September 2014
Set a book in Ruin add a little Mystery through in some darkness and passion I'm hooked, well I'ved been hooked lined and sinkered in the first book. It is not easy to review a sequel without giving away elements of the first novel which should remain perfectly unknown, lying in wait for their unsuspecting reader, and so I shall be careful and brief. I would urge you to read Sanctus, if you haven't already. Despite the complexity of the plot, Toyne expertly manages all aspects of the story through his streamlined prose. The novel picks up right where Sanctus left off, allowing the urgency of the story to permeate the entire novel and the characters to continue to develop believable relationships and reactions to their situations. Toyne never lets the enormity of his concept drown out the subtle motivations of his characters. He seamlessly weaves actions, history, romance, and suspense into a nonstop thriller that pulses forward to a shocking and extremely satisfying conclusion. The Key successfully continues the precedent set by Sanctus, and leaves the reader anxiously awaiting the conclusion to this gripping trilogy.
on 2 October 2015
Simon Toyne shows himself to be a master of the genre with this as in Sanctus. I look forward to reading more. Ruin and the Citadel are so well described that I found myself looking for them in the atlas. Some people may claim the ideas and scripture inspired stories are over done. Others are defensive and have objections probably because of their beliefs, but the riches provided for the imagination and profound thought are there and Toyne demonstrates this in his series. The drama of the story too provides page turning interest. An excellent read.0
on 29 April 2013
Brilliant! it was a very interesting read and I could not wait for the next book to be released as it kept my attention at all times.
I was impressed with the delivery time as the book was delivered before Amazon's recommended date.
on 4 September 2016
After reading a later book by this author I was a bit disappointed with the style of writing in this book. It was rather overwritten at times and I tended to speed read a lot of the pages. The story line is good and there has obviously been some research done.
on 23 October 2015
I'm definitely a fan of the religious thriller genre, but this wasn't one of the greatest, to be honest. Even though the story has pretty good speed and is entertaining in that sense, I found the plot lacking in credibility and the characters were somewhat two-dimensional, in my opinion. I'll rate the book three stars anyway, as its pace doesn't make it that hard to finish, but the story might have been developed better.
on 13 April 2015
Having read Sanctus I immediately downloaded the follow book. I left it a while before reading the sequel and found that the author eased us into the story, recapping nicely what had happened previously to get you up to speed.
The story continues at a fair pace that keeps you wanting to turn pages.
Having short chapters helps as well so you can put the book down and resume at a convenient point.
The only downside I found with this book was it was a bit padded out and could have been a 100 pages or so shorter without loosing any of the plot.