Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 April 2016
i recommend this book as the ultimate, practical pastry book. It is a delight in every way. it is generous in its subject, with sections on bread, cake both large and small, biscuits, doughnuts and batters, pastry, sweets, including a wonderful selection of cake fillings and icings as well as desserts and suppers.

Each chapter begins with a list of the sections, then opens with a useful and thoughtful introduction and oh so valuable tips and techniques. Dan treats his readers to insights gleaned from his own experience and valuable theory is trickled in too to make cooking his recipes a great way to learn for any cook. I had loved his Guardian columns and missed him when he left. I have two of his bread books and these taught me huge amounts including how to nurture a sourdough starter. i was tempted to buy this book because I read that it included many of those Guardian recipes and that Dan had revised and further perfected them, the wonderful Cider Vinegar Muffins for example. i am now using it to refresh my bread skills, working my way through the section and it is a delightful prospect. Today I made the best loaf ever and that is why I thought I must offer a review.

I rate the format as being practical, the book stays open which I love - the only other recipe book I have with that clever feature is the Polpo cook book - and the text is beautifully laid out and readable. The chapter organisation is something I have commented on but it does make the book a delight to use as does the comprehensive index which details key ingredients as well as recipes, a most welcome feature of modern recipe books. In his recipe selection, Dan shows a great ability to blend novelty with classical expertise, I need an excuse to bake his Hazelnut Wafer Cake which he says was a childhood birthday treat and reminds him of Topic bars, you can find this recipe online if you are curious. Just reading the recipe helps your imagination run riot so you can taste the cake! It sums up a glorious book, delicious recipes that work and make you long to keep baking.
on 4 August 2016
I bought this for my step-daughter. Wish I hadn't as she keeps making things from it and it''s not doing my waistline any good! Brilliant recipes and they are easy to follow. If you enjoy baking or know someone who does, this would be a good addition to their recipe collection
on 20 January 2012
I believe this is the first book I pre-ordered, as soon as I read it was coming out, in to my Amazon basket it went - before I even knew, exactly, what the premise of the book was. The reason for this is that pretty much every time I've used one of Dan Lepard's recipes before, it's been (a) a bit different and (b) a bit, or a good deal, better than every other version I've come across.

It turned out to be a wise decision. Short & Sweet is entertaining, full of personality, friendly, but most importantly in a cookbook, practical. Each section talks you through techniques, from basics like bread and pastry, to fancies like doughnuts and desserts, but also offers some neat little tips that I haven't seen anywhere else (which you should buy the book to find out). I've tried a handful of the recipes and they've all worked, the peanut butter biscuits being particularly memorable. I'm looking forward to trying the fancier recipes because I have no doubt that they will work; Dan Lepard's book is going to join my Marguerite Patten baking book as a reliable source. Unfortunately this means the beautifully designed book is going to get a bit messy and dog-eared, but I think that's a compliment to a cookbook - the last thing I think a good food writer wants is to produce a coffee-table tome and there is no danger of that here!
on 22 November 2015
As a novice baker this book is a great introduction as the recipes are clearly explained and mainly straightforward. However, they will also appeal to the experienced cook as so many of the recipes look so impressively mouth-watering! I am determined to try my hand at things I would not have dreamt of before having this splendid book.
on 23 May 2016
I bought this as a gift for my niece who is a budding home baker; she is thrilled with it. I have read through some of it and especially like the 'tips and techniques' included in the book. I think I will get another copy for myself!
on 30 November 2016
Great
on 8 April 2017
Great recipies that work
on 12 December 2015
Buy this book if you like baking or cakes.