on 16 February 2014
I have had a bit of a problem trying to learn Irish grammar, especially as I was never taught proper grammar in English, and so had no reference points when it came to noun cases and declensions and the like.

I have Teach Yourself Irish grammar you really need to know, and while this is an excellent book, it does kind of throw you in at at the deep end a little, but Collins easy learning Irish grammar explains things simply and clearly, there are "What is?" sections at the start of each section e.g. "what is a Noun?, What is a conjunction?". These really help if you are not familiar with such terms, and are of great help to me as I am rather unfamiliar with them too.

In coclusion, I would say that if you are looking for your first grammar book for learning Irish, or just one that is easier to follow, you could do much worsethan to start with this one. Incidently, although other customers may have had issues with the binding, the copy I purchased was in very good condition, so it isn't a problem endemic to this volume, just dependant on the quality of the book you purchase.
15 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
For rank beginners in Irish, this book is outstanding. As a grammar text, it is lucid, concise and comes with excellent examples of the various linguistic points. It clearly indicates the intricacies of a highly complex language and - again - does so with good, recognisable examples. If you wish to come to terms with the workings of the Irish language, this volume is vital. You will not be disappointed.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 June 2015
This book proved great in helping me to understand Irish in my Irish exams. The grammar is laid out in a clear and concise format, including everything you could possibly need to know about Irish grammar. Unlike the standard Irish books found in secondary schools (which are very unclear and all in Irish) this book puts all the grammar simply and more significantly, in English. The book also includes useful information on things such as names and dates and times, as well as verbs tables at the back of the book for the irregular verbs and some more difficult regular verbs. Earlier reviews state there was a problem with binding on the book but the copy I received was well bound and had no physical problems. I would definitely recommend it to any enthusiasts of Irish.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 July 2015
Another useful language book from Collins. They have good explanations and breakdowns of more complex grammar rules that make it easier for people to understand - especially if they are just starting out with a particular language. Have bought many books in this series and all are of the same quality.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2018
I am a beginner and needed help with grammar as I was struggling to understand it all from my course. This book explains things very well, with examples and I wouldn't be without it. Turned me from thinking "I can't do this" about Irish to "Actually I really can do this"
on 18 October 2016
As far as I already now can say is the book very easy to understand becauce it is so easy written
One person found this helpful
on 3 April 2018
Very helpful.
on 19 June 2018
Excellent, safe delivered
on 21 December 2013
Great help for the Grammar Revision I keep threatening to do. I am doing diploma in Irish Language and have dipped into this a fair few time to keep me on track
3 people found this helpful
on 25 September 2015
Nice reference book.. looks to be quite comprehensive