Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2012
I bought this one as a present for a friend, and decided just to take a loo(c)k before wrapping it; when I put the book away, I was on page 32 and though not hooked, clearly interested and 'into' the book. It is a quick read, and a very satisfying read if you know what you are in for. High fantasy it isn't, low fantasy a la Abercrombie it isn't either - even though the cover tries to imitate everyone's (including my) favourite Joe. It's what used to be called 'sword & sorcery', a sub-genre of fantasy that does not see too many new entries anymore, and at that is very good.
Accordingly both sorcery and swords play THE central roles, but both the characters and the setting are not badly drawn, and the plot comes to a conclusion that managed to satisfy and even surprise me - and I have been reading fantasy & sf for 40+ years.
The novel also has a proper ending. No need to read the next one in the 'Ancient Blades'-series, but I think many will, including me.
I would not have written this quick review were it not for the first review moaning the weakness of this book over the author's history novels. That review is unfair in my view. If you like sword & sorcery-novels, you will no doubt really enjoy this one.
on 12 February 2013
Having been reading sf&fantasy for over 30 years and having a collection of over 2k books covering all styles of writing in this category and others. I bought these books on the back of a recommendation of another author and glad I did even though I read some of the comments. If this is poor work by this author compared to his previous work then the early books must be outstanding. I found this book very easy to read and once into the story couldn't put it down. Would have given it 5 stars but in a couple of places would have liked a little more clarity on certain parts of the story line. Other than that it was refreshing a well written and felt I was there alongside Malden and Croy in this adventure. Also nice to see the main character was good at his trade but had weaknesses such as his ability to sword fight. Nice touch with the tattoos. welcome addition to my stable of authors and on the shelves with the rest of my collection
on 6 January 2013
Excellent book, a strong narrative with engaging characters,all with different motivations that make them who they are. Cant wait to read the next one.
on 12 April 2012
The book is a great start to an amazing series (Trilogy) As a 17 year old teenager i greatly enjoyed the book and the whole series is one of my favourites.

The book does have a proper ending so if you didn't fully enjoy it you won't feel hooked to move onto the next 2 books. However I would seriously reccommend finishing the series. The books get better and better through the whole series; and the final book is a definite read.

The book plays to some classic themes and plays to them well - magic, swords, thievery.

I felt hooked from the start and i would definatly reccommend the other 2 books; Ancient Blades Trilogy (2) - A Thief in the Night and Ancient Blades Trilogy (3) - Honour Among Thieves
on 26 March 2013
Most of the characters in this book are well written and the storyline was engaging. i found it easy reading although the world is not described in much detail so my imagination had to fill in the gaps. A little bit simplistic and not as rich or complex as some other offerings out there but still enjoyable. Am hoping the rest of the trilogy will build and improve.
on 12 May 2013
Well written linear story with good and evil taking their sides but not clear resolution until the very end. One person fight in intrigues and conspiracies against higher principles. Good reading for long evenings.
on 15 July 2013
Great Read. Really enjoyed the plot and the characters. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good fantasy read.
on 24 December 2012
I really wanted to like this book. I have read other books by the author and liked them. This though, it crawls, and I found it like trying to get through thick cement and I found that although I usually get through books really fast, this one took me ages to make myself continue through. The characters also seemed to me to be running around in circles. The characters are interesting enough in idea but aren't really fleshed out. A 3 star book that could have been a lot better.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 August 2011
This is a decent enough, easy read - no great revelations, no great philosophical discursions, just a tale of your everyday common or garden thief, with suitable nods towards Fantasy RPG computer games or previous series like the old "Thieves world/Sanctuary" books by Robert Asprin et al (surely these must be up for a decent re-print?). All the usual suspects are here, the gangland uber boss, the "warrior", the mage and the thief hero has more than a few wisecracks up his sleeve. So if you forgive these standard characters you will find the plot skips along at a spritely pace and offers suitable entertainment if nothing particularly new or gritty.
on 20 April 2013
I thought this book a breath of fresh air compared to some of the dross around. Complete fantasy of course but the character and part of super thief Malden is very well written and makes for compulsive reading. I can honestly say I believe that many who read this will want to read more of his exploits. I certainly do