on 26 June 2017
Bumble is very amusing on TV and currently the best cricket commentator.

Unfortunately this type of humour doesn't carry through a whole book. There is little evidence of a consistent theme and it is really just a series of short stories and anecdotes not patticularky well connected together.

He certInly has strong views which can be a little over the top at times.
on 20 August 2013
You don't have to know Wisden inside out to enjoy this book. It's as it says on the cover: David Lloyd's humorous, insightful and irreverent look at the world of cricket which he's been part of for over fifty years - as player, umpire and coach, and now commentator. You get a good earful of opinions as well as his memories of great players and other characters. He probably didn't write it with women readers in mind but nonetheless it gave me a few chuckles amongst the gossip!
on 13 December 2017
Bought as a present. Have read myself already and loved it. Funny as well as informative about Bumbles career.
on 18 September 2013
Bumble has one of the best voices on Sky Cricket and he is never short of something to say on air, and as I was reading this I could almost hear his voice! I really enjoyed reading about the other guys in the commentary box and his life as an umpire or coach or player. However, the second half of the book was a let down, it just dragged on for me, other readers may have enjoyed reading about salmon fishing or his drinking buddies but it did nothing for me.
on 27 July 2013
Bought it for my husband who says he enjoyed it, but was a little disappointed that the flowing style of Bumble's wit on television doesn't come through as well in the book. Unnecessary use of bad language also spoiled the enjoyment and meant that I wouldn't have enjoyed reading it, which is a shame, because I find Bumble really amusing on television.
on 11 August 2013
I just love to hear Bumble's commentary on the cricket and this book is exactly like hearing him speak. He is hugely knowledgeable about the game and seemingly knows everyone who has played it at a top level over the last 50 years. I really enjoyed all of his stories about colleagues, matches and life in general. Definitely a book to read during the cricket season. I was sorry when I finished it.
on 22 September 2015
I was laughing even before we got to the actual the book itself. His view on life is really funny. A must for anyone to read not just cricket fans.
on 21 August 2013
After some heavy weeks at work, and some heavy reading choices, I needed something a bit more entertaining for my morning commute. This book really helped!

In short, it is like sitting down in the pub and letting the gentle old fella - supping on a pint of Wadworth in the corner - talk at you for 6 hours. Perfect.

Don't expect structure, or a chronological account of his life. It jumps around, goes back on itself and goes on some bizarre tangents. And I loved it for it. There are some wicked tales, and some fantastic jokes, but mainly you read about him and his drinking buddies!

Next time I am in The French House, I will keep my eye out for him.
on 13 August 2015
This is a great book - an entertaining collection of cricket experiences from the serious to the not so serious.
Thankfully we still hear David on radio and TV to enjoy more of his experiences and humour!
on 17 January 2015
As ever Bumble writes in exactly the same forthright and irreverent manner in which he speaks - would you expect anything less ?

He recalls numerous memories and as usual relates many (often amusing) anecdotes.

Anyone who follows Bumble on television will love this book