Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 December 2011
"Hoping for a Home" is a wonderfull collection of true stories from the working life of an RSPCA Shelter manager and her family.
There are probably a lot of people who know of the RSPCA and similar Rescue Shelters, but who do not realise what life is like behind the scenes for the staff who work in them.
There are 20 chapters with each being a different story, not only og domesticv pets, but also of wildlife creatures and farm animals. The stories are amusing, heartwarming, sad and thought provoking.
Any animal lover will enjoy this book. It would also be a good read for anyone thinking of pursuing a career in pet rescue, as it is an easy to read true account of the type of work to expect, it is factual but not text book.
Thoroughly recommended.
on 17 January 2011
I saw this book for sale in asda, and it caught my attention right away, i read the back and i though i have to have it. I wasnt wrong the first chapter had me in tears and the other chapters i have read touched my heart. The different stories of the different things they had to deal with and the animals that needed there help from an abused dog, a sheep caught in barbed wire, a talking parrot who stole there hearts and ( rather funny) to wild ferell cats having kittens, all the stories i have read so far are wonderful and the outcome fab, i have knocked of one star for this book as the first chapter was great but going further on in the book there is alot of swearwords and i was shocked to see how often language was used in the book and thats very dissopointing to me as i dont use language and to have to read it in a book is really spoiling it for me and wish there was a copy with out it all so to me thats the down side to this book but the stories are beautiful yet sad. All in all if you can get over the language then you will love this book.
on 25 January 2011
I absolutely loved this book and was finding myself going to bed early to read it, having 4 dogs of my own I don't get a lot of peace during the day.
The stories were heartfelt,heartbreaking and many of them would make you wonder just what sort of "person" using the term loosely, would treat animals the way many of them that Tony and Janie had to deal with had, it broke my heart and made me extremely angry. Why cant animals be treated with love and respect.People buy dogs,cats etc,then get fed up with them and ill treat them and then dump them. It is appalling.,and those people deserve to be treated in the same manner, but what happens, nothing, a slap on the wrist and a ridiculously small fine.

Yes she did use a few swear words in the book, but she actually made me laugh.

I love animals and find it almost impossible to deal with the fact that so many animals are badly treated.

Thank god for people like, Janie,Tony,Anna and Marie and everyone else that has rescued animals from a bad situation.

A book to treasure.
on 16 June 2011
What a lovely book this is!! It made me laugh, it made me cry, a great all rounder. Some of the stories are heart wrenching, it makes you wonder how some people are so cruel. I loved reading about Janie and her family, she takes you through ups and downs and I found the book so easy to read that I could really connect to her and anna. Yes there is some mild language-mostly humorus and I felt totally fitted for the story, making it completely realistic!
I have passed my copy onto a friend who is also thoroughly enjoying the book. I can't wait to read more from Janie!
on 23 June 2012
I thought I'd get my pennies worth in after reading some negative points about this book. I believe some people are looking past the whole point of this book. It's been written how it happened, told through the authors' eyes. I note that a few people have commented about their dislike for the 'smoking' and 'swearing' but, what they fail to see is how it's these sort of things that make it more realistic, not made up and fake! It's true stories, not made up to be fluffy and full of happy endings..... It's not a book of short fairy tails, It's a book full of real heartache, frustration and anger! And quite frankly, anyone who claims they would not swear, when faced with some of the horrifying events that Janie did, or find comfort and release in lighting a ciggarette, you're wrong. I have too, worked for the RSPCA and have seen many horrors of my own, and Janie has described the thoughts and feelings that you endure impeccabley.
Without a doubt the best of this genre to read.

Highly recommended
on 19 June 2011
The author works for an animal charity and saving, caring for and rehoming animals. I began this book expecting it to be an emotional rollercoaster and wasn't disappointed. There are some shocking stories about animals who survived cruel or neglectful owners, interspersed with lighter, often amusing anecdotes. I read it within two days and couldn't put it down. Janie Ritson and her two colleagues (one of whom is her husband), work tirelessly to save and rehome animals. Whether stopping a man from being attacked by a goose, surviving a belligerent parrot or trying to break up a variety of interspecies fights, there's never a dull moment.

An entertaining and often moving read for any animal lover, as well as a testament to how resilient animals can be.
on 17 September 2011
This book by the amazing person Janie Ritson, is a collection of stories about her life working at the RSPCA. It really made me cry in parts as she played such a huge part in the animals lives and helped them so much. I would love to work with animals and it has been a real eye opener. There was one part when Janie was going quit her job but I knew she wouldn't and she didn't.
Deffinately buy this book!
on 24 March 2011
This was a good book, heart warming but also very indicative of our times when people can be so cruel to animals, cruel to animals and they are cruel to all creatures, only minus in the book was the amount of swearing used, I felt this was unnecessary, you should be able to get your point across without this.
on 21 March 2011
This book is excellent, a real insight into a rescue.
However I wasn't prepared for how heartbreaking it is, the story of Samson had me in tears whilst reading & then every time I thought about him for the next few days. Recommended.
on 26 August 2012
It's the best book I've ever read. I couldn't stop reading ! I would definitely recommend this book to any animal lover. It was inspiring and interesting and I was upset to have to finish it.