Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 14 June 2011
Bought this to while away a long flight to Bangkok (and back), and it served its purpose admirably. I do The Times Cryptic regularly so know most of the tricks the compilers use, but, even so, some of these puzzles are fiendishly difficult. Others you can polish off in a few minutes and put a smug smile on your face if anyone's looking, which of course they never are. Unless you cheat and slyly look up the answers in the back, in which case everyone on the plane seems to be glancing in your direction. A guilty conscience is a burden.

Incidentally, there is a useful Beginner's Guide and worked example at the front to help anyone who wants to begin to learn how to tackle the world's most famous crossword.

All in all a safe bet for solutionists everywhere.
on 5 June 2012
As a keen cryptic crossword solver from way back this book is very challenging
and provides quality time to keep the brain active.I am always amazed by the ingenuity of the compiler and enjoy quiet moments of personal satisfaction when
solving the clues.
The purchase met all my expectations and more and was especially significant to me
living in Australia where cryptic crosswords are not so popular. Obviously the purchase is of a particular type and those unfortunate people who have no interest in cryptic puzzles would never appreciate the product. But anyone with a desire to learn or develop their ability in this area should invest the small sum and reap the rewards.
on 3 October 2013
I enjoy cryptic crosswords and have tried e-crosswords but I like paper ones best. These are cryptic but not hard, all doable without a dictionary or other aids so great for taking on journeys. You get plenty of margin for trying out anagrams. I've occasionally seen a clue/solution which looked badly crafted but most are good, some are very witty, one or two are quite brilliant - classic crossword quality. Saved my sanity when waiting eight hours to board a delayed flight :-) worth every penny.

I also bought some Guardian cryptic crosswords books from Amazon and I recommend them too. I think the Guardian ones can be tougher. My favourite setter is Araucaria and there's no way I'd try one of his without having at least a dictionary to hand (and better yet an internet connection to look up quotations and stuff).

The classic cryptic crossword is quintessentially English, Anglican, obsessed with cricket. You might find these puzzles a bit hard to get into if you know nothing about such things. I hope a new generation of setters (including some women, non-Anglicans, and non-sportsmen) will give us more crossword puzzles, as well made as the old puzzles, but which are less narrow in their cultural allusions - trying to solve a crossword set by a Muslim woman who is obsessed by knitting, hang-gliding, and Mexican soap operas would certainly stretch my abilities. I look forward to the day! Chuckle.
on 26 August 2014
If you love Times cryptic crosswords, buy this. In fact, buy two, so you can revisit the crosswords after a decent interval. If you don't like Times cryptic crosswords, maybe you should seek counselling.
on 25 September 2013
This sounds a bit sad, but I love doing the crossword with my breakfast in the morning. For me this is a great collection of challenging, but not impossible, puzzles. There is a good range, some being easier than others! Highly recommended if you like cryptic crosswords.
on 25 September 2011
Little to be said. I like to take a Times Crossword book to occupy my resting hours on holiday. Needed a new one, and bought this. Perfect - only problem is that I can rarely complete the crossword on the page. Still, it has all the answers at the back, so I can take a peep when stuck!
on 15 May 2014
I bought this to try and understand how the cryptic crossword in the Times works. It did the job but as the paper now has an easier version it would be best for the beginner to start with that.
on 20 March 2014
London Times Cryptic is the *only* crossword! Since I'm across the "Pond" I don't get the daily paper, so it's great to be able to buy the collections on Amazon UK.
on 2 December 2012
Very pleased with the book. I love crosswords and this is a good compilation. Keeps me happy in my retirement.
on 29 January 2011
This is the fourth book of Times crosswords we have bought from Amazon and we have enjoyed them all which hopefully gives our brains some exercise. They are always well priced and despatched quickly and are very good value when the post is free.