Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2017
If you consider yourself a major Guns N’ Roses fan then this book is for you.

This book is to be recommended to anyone who has fantasised about living the life of a rock star. It’s all there. The unbridled sex, the rampant drug use, and of course, the amazing rock n’ roll.

Steve Adler’s story is quite a sad one. There are plenty of entertaining anecdotes and hilarious tales that will make you laugh and make you appreciate the music of GN’R even more. But ultimately you will find yourself shaking your head as you read about the downward junkie spiral Adler descended into which ultimately ended his journey with GN’R, destroyed relationships with the people who he cared most about and nearly ended his life.

I have previously read the autobiographies by Duff and Slash, and Mick Wall’s excellent biography about the band. Having read those, I have always wondered what Adler had to say about his dismissal from the band and subsequent treatment from GN'R. Adler's story gives you that much needed “other side of the story” perspective but despite reading his own account on things, I still come to the conclusion that Adler, despite coming across as a really genuinely nice guy, only had himself to blame.

A nice guy. An excellent drummer. The only man who can claim to be too hardcore for Guns N’ Roses. A legend in my eyes.
on 20 July 2017
It's ok if you want the GnR story from every possible angle but I wouldn't recommend it over any of the books that I've read on the subject (if you want up-close and coherent then go for Duff McKagen, up-close, colourful, and slightly less coherent, then Slash)
on 4 June 2017
Fantastic read
on 17 August 2017
Much better than I expected from reading other reviews. a moving account well worth reading for all fans, especially if you've read slash and duffs books.
on 4 April 2017
He bares his soul in this heart breaking , funny and enlighting book . he's been to hell and back .

Well done Steven
on 2 March 2017
Excellent!
on 19 August 2012
OK, what you already read about this book is true. It is not a good example of the proper use of the English language (probably like this review :-)). Especially in the second part (after Steven is kicked from GNR), you completely lose track of what is happening and when did it happen (as I guess Steven himself did...). The chapter about his stroke is a prime example of this...

But on the other hand, all this makes the book much more genuine. You know that this is Steven Adler speaking, you have a clear idea about the man's character and motives, he is not hiding behind a masterful "ghost writer", that's really him.

In the first part we have the GNR story. I don't know if his account of events is "truer" than Slash's for example, but one thing is clear: Steven Adler was a big fan of rock'n'roll music and an even bigger fan of the rock'n'roll lifestyle who actually BECAME everything he hoped for. It's like one day I am sitting in my room looking at posters and the next I am IN the same posters. And he couldn't handle it...
In the second part we have the aftermath of his exit from the band. This part is in fact more interesting than the first. It is obvious that Steven Adler wasn't ready for what happened. It gradually becomes clear that his life STOPPED that fateful day in June 1990 when he was kicked out of GNR. Since then, he has passed most of the time (something like 20 years) doing ABSOLUTELY nothing (except of course getting stoned on crack and heroin).

Still, in the and Steven Adler comes out of this book as somewhat of a sympathetic figure. I mean in the end you feel sorry for the guy...
And (although he doesn't seem to believe in himself so much) he WAS the best drummer GNR ever had. I sincerely hope that he finally lets go of the past...
on 23 May 2016
I enjoyed this book, and as I was getting closer to the end I did think 'wow, he must have been a nightmare to know'....he makes it read like nothing is his fault!!!! Glad he finally made it to be sober though.....he said when he went into celebrity rehab he finally saw himself as he was - well I bet Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy could put a different spin on everything, but God loves you steven ....you are a very likable character xx
on 6 August 2010
Unlike the previous commenter, I've actually a) got hold of a copy of the book and b) read it before typing my review.

I'll admit I'm not a particular fan of GNR, but I am a big fan of rock biogs and I loved the Motley Crue book 'The Dirt' without liking them, so I had big hopes for Adler. And I wasn't disappointed.

Unsurprisingly, he has a bit of help stringing sentences together from journalist Lawrence Spagnola - from the early chapters, you get the feeling Adler didn't spend too much time at school, learning the basics of sentence construction or grammatical inflections. But none of that matters - it's a page-turning, toe-clenching, stomach-churningly good yawn.

There's probably a fair bit of this book that should be taken with a pinch of salt. I mean, considering how long ago it all was, and how much drugs this guy took, it's unlikely he can actually remember half of this stuff, never mind with the amount of detail... so I suspect his co-writer did a lot of digging around through cuttings and interviews, and some of it was guess work. Still, that doesn't detract from the fun.

It's not as good as "The Dirt", but it's still a darn fun rock'n'roll tale.
33 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2010
Although not as good as Slash's autobiograpy this still makes for a good entertaining read. You can't help feeling Steven Adler's slightly deluded throughout the whole thing and doesn't seem to realise quite how badly addicted he must be and the whole episode of being kicked out of Guns n Roses seems kind of glossed over and not very detailed but then thats probably the drugs! His version of being kicked out is both sad but also very much his version.
A nice addition to the Guns n Roses literature which seems to be coming out a bit more regularly now.....
Will the ever reunite...not if Axl has anything to do with it but it doesn't seem to stop anyone wishing and wondering....