on 2 May 2017
Excellent. Paul takes you from what you know in English to the unknown of a foreign language and helps you to understand how to use this to communicate, in this case in Italian. It's basic, but gives you confidence and the ability to learn at your own pace. This is much better than many language courses which develop learner incompetence, throwing unnecessary grammar and vocabulary at you. Paul constantly reinforces your developing knowledge and confidence so that you feel conversing in another language is quickly within your grasp. For people like me who learned a foreign language from books and hated it, this comes as a liberating experience. For those who, like me, used Paul's "Learn Spanish" you will find the lady who gives the pronounciation a little more difficult to listen to than in the Spanish CDs. Nevertheless, Paul's encouragement keeps you locked into your learning and progress is relentless. My intention is to go on to more advanced learning with a course like Hugo as Paul doesn't offer the next (more advanced) level. He should he's a genius!
4 people found this helpful
on 29 June 2014
This has been a wonderful tool for me to learn Italian. I listened to discs 1-5 in the correct order, but since then, have kept all (12) discs on my shuffle playlist so listening and practising comes unexpectedly, regularly, without too much concentration and easily.

The method is simple, at a good pace, is explained clearly at the start and remains consistent throughout the discs. Paul constantly jumps back to reminding things we learnt earlier, too reinforce them and support the learner to remember not only the word and its meaning, but why and how the sentence is structured this way, how the verb is structured and the grammatical rules. This in turn enables me to go away and create my own sentences as i learn more verbs.

I'm sure there are cases where the reality of how something is said on the Italian streets is different to what is being taught here, but expecting dialect and slang from a language course is ridiculous. We should learn the correct way to speak, and then, once you have gained the skills to understand the grammar and sentence structure and are using the language, you will naturally learn where corners are cut and words dropped/modified etc.

I would say that in 6 months, my Italian is now conversational, and I have learned more verbs that aren't in the course, to broaden my ability. It would be good to have something to follow on from this level, perhaps taking learners to intermediate level.

I 100% recommend this, it is effective, clear and an absolute bargain. I wish I had found it a long time ago! I liked it enough that i have now bought the Spanish course too. Olé!
7 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2016
I have never attempted to learn another language, not even at school! I am enjoying learning with this course. My husband down loaded the discs onto the computer and then transferred them to an mp4 player. I take this with me when I walk the dogs. Paul is softly spoken and easy to listen to. I am finding that I am retaining the teaching. I have to give 5 stars as I have not had any problems, although I have no other experience to compare it with.
on 2 May 2017
Very easy to follow. Am very impressed how Paul makes it easy to learn and remember. Would recommend.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2017
Excellent purchase. I actually bought this for my sister, and she really loves it. She says that the cds are making her learning so much easier, and they are also fun.
on 24 October 2013
Having tried several other methods this is BY FAR the best. I listen in my car and have quickly picked up phrases and gained confidence. (I am on disk three but am so impressed that I wanted to come on and review- something I don't do very often.) His voice and tone are clear and reassuring and he uses a native language speaker to say the phrases and ensure pronunciation is correct. I love the way he explains things and makes them easy to apply more widely. I used to get stressed trying to learn but now I look forward to it, knowing that I will be given all the tools I need.
on 21 July 2017
A good clear system that includes sufficient grammar to build sentences but without being too complicated. I am happy with it and making reasonable progress with the language.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 October 2016
Listen to this while in the gym and have found it to be perfect for me. Learning French at school (many years ago) was a real chore, if only it had been taught in a similar way, I might have managed to pass an exam! My Italian friends have been impressed with what I have learned and my pronunciation, can't really get a better review.
on 26 August 2015
An excellent course for beginners involving Paul explaining the lessons and an Italian speaker demonstrating pronunciation . I eased through the 12 CDs in about 2 hours per night for 15 nights and now I feel fairly confident in situations at shops, restaurants, stations and hotels etc . The past perfect tense is used to good effect and there is an introduction to the future tense . I am now having a problem finding a course that goes to a higher level . It's a pity that Paul's course finishes where it does as I did find the format very helpful .
on 18 September 2012
At school I did French or tried to do it and never managed to grasp it. I have listened to one disc so far of this Italian course and already know many words, and best of all remember them. This is so far a brilliant box set and I cant wait to get home to learn more.
10 people found this helpful