on 28 March 2017
Brilliant
on 28 March 2017
Bought this for my cricket mad husband. Delivered late
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 December 2010
Oh deary me, what a strange book to review. On the one hand this is a book about cricket, written in the inimitable Bumble way, full of quirkiness, English eccentricity and good natured banter. On the other, it is a book full of rich, essentially northern, Lancastrian characters, characters that come rubber stamped with 'mad as a hatter' printed all over them. Still, despite that and despite my being a southern softie, I enjoyed immensely this ramble over the history of cricket since the late '60s. Mr Lloyd, or the Commander as he is affectionately known back home in Accrington, certainly has an eye (and a pen) for a good story or two, with half the book reading like a session down the (real ale) boozer. To me this is a good sign, and at the end of 'The World' I genuinely felt as if I had been chucked out of a pub at closing time. The thing I liked the most is that the style is completely un-forced, Mr Lloyd has a natural wit and endearing charm, charm that makes his book rattle along like a real ding-dong-do, whether he be waxing lyrically about the genius of Mark E Smith, fishing or just swapping Flintoff stories with the reader. My only complaint is that he never mentioned my favourite cricketer, the fantastic Ashley Giles, or that he seems to be unaware of the band Peter & the Test Tube Babies - as he would love their lyrics, given his penchant for slightly juvenile humour. It only remains for me to say, to Mr Lloyd: "Now, get back on the telly and rub their Aussie noses in the Ashes"!!
on 11 August 2010
I bought this after reading the comments of the one-star reviewer (someone who can't spell claiming something is poorly written tells you all you need to know sometimes). A big thankyou.

David Lloyd has made me laugh endlessly as a television commentator and now he has me guffawing in print.

As previous reviewers have said, this book is rather like him chatting to you down the pub. Actually, it's like the best all-dayer you've ever had. He is exactly the kind of bloke you'd like a session with. And his mates the Regiment would be welcome too.

His crackpot enthusiasm spills off every page and although his pen-portraits of his Sky colleagues at the start of the book are outstanding, Start the Car's greatness is in the latter half of the book. Here, we find out everything that has shaped the man thousands of us dearly love (his childhood, his cricket club, Accrington Stanley, love of a pint, a passion for comedy).

Above all, this book promotes our Bumble as a natural storyteller. The young Flintoff dressing room escapade is priceless and how could anyone other than Bumble get away with trying to locate the whereabouts of a confiscated blow-up doll while in charge of an international team? Legend.
on 4 June 2010
I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping for a bit of rain during a Test Match just so that I can listen to David Lloyd without the distraction of any cricket!

Now I can enjoy his words of wit and wisdom at any time thanks to this terrific new book.

Bumble ensures that every page is an event by combining his unique brand of humour with the magic of a natural storyteller. It's a read that gets you in all the right areas - the heart, the head and, of course, the funny bone!

Marks out of ten? I'll give it Twenty/20!
on 9 February 2011
This is great fun. I'm a female northerner and I love this to bits. the humour is great, the stories and tales relating to all sorts of things, not just cricket are fabulous. It is a shame that I'm almost at the end of disc 8 and I want more. Bumble's take on the world is hiilarious, especially the tale of the dog who would gladly welcome people into the home but would not let them out again, well not without a fight anyway. Been there, done that, knew what was coming as soon as he mentioned the dog letting people in ... as a dog owner it was priceless, as are the many stories of pub crawls, in and out of The Circus Tavern in Manchester (amongst others) with the lads, the Brigadier walking straight through Bumble's living room while they are watching telly because it was a 'short cut' through his house LOL. Bumble paints a very vivid, laugh out loud picture of his life to date, complete with a sackful of double entrendes, cricketing stories, his favourite golf courses, food, fellow players, comedians he likes, bands etc and for the lovers of the game there's also a bit of cricket in there too.

I don't get why people don't like this or say it's tedious because I found it to be very entertaining, very funny and I'm genuinely sad it came to an end - all good things do I guess. We are all different so perhaps it's a good thing we all have our own opinions, perhaps it's because I'm a northerner and not so easily offended by the humour, which really is funny, it's not gross or over the top and it's not peppered with bad language, it's gentle and funny and I love it. Hope there wil be a Start the Car 2 - I'm already first in line for a copy.

Thanks Bumble, loved it.
on 21 August 2013
After some heavy weeks at work, and some heavy reading choices, I needed something a bit more entertaining for my morning commute. This book really helped!

In short, it is like sitting down in the pub and letting the gentle old fella - supping on a pint of Wadworth in the corner - talk at you for 6 hours. Perfect.

Don't expect structure, or a chronological account of his life. It jumps around, goes back on itself and goes on some bizarre tangents. And I loved it for it. There are some wicked tales, and some fantastic jokes, but mainly you read about him and his drinking buddies!

Next time I am in The French House, I will keep my eye out for him.
on 31 December 2010
I bought this in the Christmas sale and as such think it's pretty good value. It's neither a biography nor a memoir, rather a collection of anecdotes from his time in cricket. Like his commentary, it's a rambling trawl through his career, leaping from player to coach to commentator. There are funny stories in there and insights into some of the contemporary players as well as names from the past. It's written in the same way he commentates, from inane to insightful, which I can understand will irritate some readers but, persistance, a practice lacking in today's readership, pays off. The birth of Flintoff as we know him anecdote is worthy of the cut-price alone!
on 20 June 2013
As a cricket lover I am used to Bumbles ramblings and weather from Reading!

This was a heap of laughs, serious and absorbing in turn.

Started and finished in quick time.
on 20 August 2013
You don't have to know Wisden inside out to enjoy this book. It's as it says on the cover: David Lloyd's humorous, insightful and irreverent look at the world of cricket which he's been part of for over fifty years - as player, umpire and coach, and now commentator. You get a good earful of opinions as well as his memories of great players and other characters. He probably didn't write it with women readers in mind but nonetheless it gave me a few chuckles amongst the gossip!