Customer reviews

Women of a Dangerous Age
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 March 2017
A cracking good light read to escape a dreary pre spring day.
It deals with everyday issues in an entertaining way.
I can see myself in both of the two women.
Enjoy and laugh
on 5 March 2017
It started quite well and I was enjoying reading the book and as I was getting into the book it ended disappointing
on 3 September 2014
BRILL!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 April 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really enjoyed Fanny Blakes first novel and l have to say she is doing extremely well as a writer
and really hitting her stride with this book as a novelist of fabulous talent.

The plotline is amazing its a cracking story - two women meet on holiday hit it off immediately and
returning to delightful old Blighty find they have so much more in common than they could have ever
anticipated. Not in the best of ways either....
What happens next is a victory for common sense, and above all womens ability to overcome the worst
that can be thrown at them.

I absolutely love Lou, shes a good natured chaotic romantic fond of a glass of wine or three - its a
happy liberating read and l was gutted to finish it, well done l am looking forward to the next one.
on 28 April 2012
How often do you read books that make you look forward to a) your commute and b) going to bed? In my case it's almost never (especially since I hate both of those things) but, when I'm in the middle of a Fanny Blake novel, I want to go to bed early and get on the Tube for at least an hour.

Why? Because her characters feel like friends, and she really gets how important friendship is, her dialogue is spot on, almost uncannily so and I love being in the world she creates, however briefly. Most of all though, and the thing I like best, is that she has a really balanced eye for the absolute ridiculous nature of human endeavour and effort, both recognizing the importance of her characters' desires and ambitions, whilst at the same time gently mocking them in the light of the greater significance of love and relationships. If you want a book that is about real people and relationships, that explores friendship and frailty whilst being both thoughtful and funny then read this. Or the first one, What Women Want.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our heroines in this book are 45 and 55 and so I was hoping for something a bit different from the ditzy girls who inhabit chick-lit - but no: apparently age doesn't stop women from strewing their huge knickers all over airport concourses, buying beautiful shoes two sizes too small so that they're crippled on big nights out, and getting drunk and waking up in bed with the wrong man.

This kind of light read depends on sympathetic heroines, and I didn't warm to either of these women. 45 year old Ali's prissy eating really irritated me (she's the sort of woman who pays nearly £50 for a hotel champagne tea then `scraped an almost invisible layer of cream onto her scone followed by an equally meagre dab of jam'); and Lou just never sounded right for a woman who'd previously had a big job on a fashion magazine.

So this is light and escapist, a bit rambling, and with no real over-arching plot - not so much chick-lit for grown-ups, as chick-lit featuring older women who still act like they're in their 20s.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved this book , I loved Lou , so much about her I found easy to identify with , as we are of the similar "dangerous age" the worries the too tight shoes , the sags and the drift downwards of the the fromer pert bits. Ali too is a character that I grew too like as you learn more about her it becomes easy to see why she led her life a serrial misstress. I will say the only thing I found a bit samey as other books is the opening of a shop selling vintage clothes , it seems to be a theme running through books of this type at the moment, not a huge problem but I just wonder why. It is nice to read one of these type of books with women of my age in rather than younger women , I would recommend for beach reading , sure to entertain and not depress
on 22 May 2012
It took me a while to really get into this story but once I did it was difficult to put down. From the synopsis I had expected more of the book to be based in India but there was only a small section at the beginning. This small section was written beautifully though and the descriptions made me feel like I was there with them.

There were some funny moments in the book that had me laughing out loud, in particular the scene at the airport when Lou and Ali were on their way home from India, and an evening out for Lou that involved an authentic curry in London, make sure you watch out for those if you read this book!

I loved the characters, they were all very real and I found myself relating them to people in my own life (although I wont say who). I really liked Lou's courage in following her dream and learning to live for herself after so many years, this was really empowering to read. I had mixed feelings towards Ali at the start because of her life as a serial mistress, I think as a married woman it's always difficult to read about characters like that, but as I read through the book I really warmed to her which surprised me. She seemed to have lots of things from her past that she hadn't managed to resolve and I enjoyed following her story as she tried to finally settle everything.

It was great to see Lou and Ali's friendship blossom from the moment they met and I was really worried when a huge bombshell threatened this. They were both at the start of their new lives and there were many ups and downs for them to overcome, this was interesting to read and a couple of the revelations that came along literally made me gasp in shock!

Something that I really liked about this story was following Lou and Ali as they embarked on a new business venture, I've always wanted a shop of my own so I found it really fascinating to follow their progress.

The end of this book was perfect in my opinion, I had tears in my eyes as I read the last few pages.

This is an enjoyable book, a perfect curl up on the sofa read.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Katie Fforde will remain my author of choice when I want a book which will provide a pleasant distraction from the horrors of a plane journey but I thought this was a pleasant gentle read. For those of us who are at, or even passed the `dangerous age', this novel also has the charm that it is a story where the characters ,despite no longer being young women in their twenties or early thirties, are attractive and interesting to the opposite sex. Lou and Ali form their unlikely alliance when, holidaying alone in India, they need someone to take their photograph sitting on`Diana's bench' in front of the Taj Mahal. The two women could not be more different, Lou, mother of three young adults, is in the process of disentangling herself from a far from satisfactory marriage, whilst Ali is marking time whilst her married lover sorts out his family life prior to moving in with her and [she hopes] enabling her to finally have a baby. It would not seem as if these two women could have enough in common to encourage them to meet up on their return to Britain but Lou is sufficiently interested in the jewellery Ali makes to suggest she might wish to sell it in the dress shop that Lou is about to open. Their friendship proceeds from there with some interesting developments en route [there is what is obviously meant to be a major surprise for the reader when Ali and Lou meet for afternoon tea but I, and probably many other readers, had seen this `surprise' coming long before it actually happened]. Lou is an extremely likeable character and I found her story both interesting and satisfying. I was not so smitten with Ali - not because she had spent many years being the serial mistress to married men - but because I didn't like the way she treated her father when she discovered the truth about a significant event from her childhood. This is a meaty read, and at just over 400 pages, allows the characters time to develop and become well rounded people the reader feels she knows. It kept my attention throughout even though I have little interest in either jewellery or vintage clothes! I shall definitely seek out more from this author and I warmly recommend this as an enjoyable read both for those on holiday or simply curled up in an armchair at home. Fjs
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lou's philandering husband has hidden too many secrets from her and she wants to strike out alone and set up her own business. Starting with a holiday in India - where she meets single Ali, a serial mistress. They have more in common than could have guessed, which I thought was rather obvious but not to the detriment of the story. (Why else does Lou's husband have a silly nickname?). I enjoyed the take on the advantages of being single over being married, which means no longer being admired by your man but being taken for granted, the cook and cleaner while your spreading age spots, hot flushes and crepey cleavage threaten to sap your confidence. It's a great book with a positive upbeat ending, recommended to boost the confidence of middle aged women everywhere.