on 8 September 2014
My first impression on receiving this was that it was ridiculously small. However having spent some time looking through it I would say it is a very practical size - roughly 12cm x 8cm, and definitely pocket size.

Approx a third of it is an English-Italian and Italian-English dictionary, including pronunciation. The phrases are grouped - as you would expect - into sections, eg Leisure or Restaurant, but there are sub sections making things so much easier to find.

All in all I think it is a little gem and well worth the very low price.
on 30 April 2016
Heading off to Italy soon and wanted to brush up on my school-days Italian (back in the 60's). The little book brought back most of the basics of Italian, which was great. Whether I have the courage to speak it when I am in Italy is another thing!!
on 13 September 2013
Took this on a cycling tour in Italy. very compact and many useful phrases although the arrangement of the food items being separated from eating out was a bit strange. Good for basics but dictionary at back a bit limited as were some phrases so struggled in areas where we really needed it but overall a good guide and very easy to transport around.
on 31 July 2015
have not had the opportunity to use it yet, but it looks comprehensive and should be extremely useful
on 29 October 2017
handy and informative
on 3 October 2012
My fiance and I am lucky enough to be going to Sorrento for our honeymoon next year, and in preperation for the trip I purchased the excellent:

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Naples & the Amalfi Coast

and also this great little phrasebook from Collins.

It is a really handy size, just 84mm by 115mm, and it contains 253 pages.

It is a paperback, and unlike the unfortunate experience of another reviewer I have found the binding to be strong and suitable for some pretty heavy use.

Despite its diminutive structure it has a considerable content:

1. Using your phrasebook
16. Menu reader
17. Grammar
18. Public holidays
19. Dictionary

Each of the main sections, 4 to 19, is colour coded down the papers edge for quick reference and and these sections are split into sub-sections concerning each subject.

The words are all spelled out phonetically and this makes it incredibly easy to find the subject, then the word and finally the pronounciation.

The dictionary contains an impressive 3000 words, and they are presented as both English to Italian and Italian to English.

Its a really great little book, and after no time my fiance and I were able to run through basic scenarios that are almost certain to occur on our honeymoon with a surprising degree of confidence!

Highly recommended.
on 12 September 2011
Book is really good. Has all the essential phrases you will need to get by and phonetically spells words for you to help pronounciation. Split in to sections of restaraunts etc so all the phrases you will need when ordering food are all in the same place. At this price, you really can't go wrong. Small enough to fit in the wifes handbag or in a back pocket. Bought a spanish version when I got back from holiday as I was so impressed with it.
on 9 March 2012
Took this on a recent week's trip to Italy house hunting! Invaluable. Honestly. Not exhaustive by any means but has everything you are likely to need to get by in most situations. Really well laid out with explanations for pronunciation and lots of helpful general information too. I left my handbag in a cafe and didn't realise until we were 20 miles away, by the time we got back to the cafe I was word perfect on "Can you help me please? I think I left my bag hanging on the chair over there when I came in about an hour ago" I didn't even get to the bit about the colour and what it looked like as I was perfectly understood and my bag (miraculously) was still there behind the counter!
on 9 August 2012
I found this book very useful during my holiday in Tuscany. It covered most of the subjects and phrases I need to get by. I like the phonetic pronunciation bit. Had some good laughs with staff in bistros and shops trying to make myself understood. The people in Italy are very nice to us ignorant brits. I always find I get into trouble when people reply to me!
on 28 August 2013
It is not as easy as I thought to have a phrase book on Kindle. I think it is easier to carry around a small pocket size book when travelling in a foreign country.