Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2016
Love these books. Dean Koontz tells stories like Stephen King. Campfire scaries that everyone wants to hear.
on 3 May 2017
Good follow on in the Frankenstein series, cant wait to read the next one.
"There is no light in my revelation. It's a dark tide in my blood--dark, cold, thick, and insistent, telling me he's alive."

No one could expect Victor Frankenstein/Helios to stay quietly dead and give up his plans to replace humanity with his "perfect" new race. So you can guess what happens in "Frankenstein: Lost Souls," a slow but solid thriller which Dean Koontz picks up the plot threads left hanging by his first trilogy.

For the past two years, Deucalion has been living at a monastery... until he senses that somehow Victor Helios is alive. Meanwhile, in the small Montana town of Rainbow Falls, cold-hearted replicants are replacing all the people, except for a handful who manage to escape notice. One of the townspeople just happens to be Erika 5, who catches a glimpse of a very familiar face -- Victor Helios.

So Deucalion tracks down his onetime allies Carson and Michael, now happily married with a baby daughter -- and with a tip from Erika, they set out for Rainbow Falls to stop Helios once and for all. However, this is not the Victor they defeated and killed in New Orleans, but something far more terrifying in every way...

"Frankenstein: Lost Souls" is apparently the first book of a new trilogy, so unsurprisingly it feels like the first third of a very, very long novel. It takes most of the book for Koontz to tie together all the plot threads and get everybody going, so the pace is kind of sluggish up until the last quarter. I kept wishing Deucalion, Carson and Michael would JUST GET MOVING.

However, he does an excellent job mingling mystery, bloody horror, science fiction and a hint of religious symbolism, and Koontz's prose is soaked with sinister moments (oh, the little nails in the brains!). He builds up the suspense steadily as the replicants take over Rainbow Falls, until they finally clash with the good guys -- but there are some funny moments as well, usually from Jocko.

Koontz also takes time to explore how his characters have changed. The mighty, melancholy Deucalion seems to be more at peace with himself now, while Michael and Carson have settled into pleasant domesticity (and start babbling like idiots whenever they talk about their baby). He goes a bit overboard with the overprotective parent shtick (baking soda?), but it's very touching to see how now they not only fight for the world, but for their daughter's future.

It takes quite some time for "Frankenstein: Lost Souls" to kick into gear, but Dean Koontz's fourth Frankenstein novel is a nicely suspenseful start to a new trilogy. Just hang on through the slow parts.
on 9 July 2010
I hadnt expected this sequel but I bought it hoping it was going to tie up many of the loose ends in the rather disappointing last Frankenstein release 'Dead & Alive'. Silly me - this is an even worse rip-off! It ends in the middle of (what was, to be honest, a reasonably exciting story) the tale with the denoument promised at some point next year! I am annoyed.

But, guess what - even though I'm suffering from a very mild attack of Koontz-rage, I'll probably buy that next instalment!

Mrs Miffed of Reading
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2010
Don't you just hate it when, after several hundred pages, you find that the story will be continued next year!
This is a good introduction (or possibly re-introduction) to the Frankenstein mythos. I thought that the last book (as then) was the weakest of the series, but still pretty good. This one is better but has lots of loose ends which are a bit frustrating (see comment above)so it looks like I'll have to keep it around to remind myself what's been happening.
The best bit about this book is .................. (to be continued next year!)
on 4 February 2011
This is the first Frankenstein book I have read by Dean Koontz. Although I am fan of his, it was with some trepidation that I bought it, not really knowing what to expect with this one, not having read the previous three in this series. But I'm glad I did buy it. I found it quite a good and entertaining piece of hokum. It's full of suspense and kept me gripped right up to the last page. Also Mr Koontz "brings you up to speed" as it were early on in the book.

I particularly liked the characters Bryce Walker and Travis - a poignant bond forming between an elderly man and a young boy as they go on the run for their lives. Also the equally comfortable and often humorous pairing of Mr Lyss and Nummy. Crooked wise guy meets 'intellectually challenged' boy, also on the run for their lives.

However I have to admit I was a little irritated with former detectives, turned private investigators Carson and Michael, finding most of the dialogue between them tedious and redundant, especially when their young child Scott was involved. Maybe it had something to do with me not having read the first three Frankenstein books and thus not being familiar with Carson and Michael. But apart from this I did enjoy the book and thought it was a good read even as a 'stand alone' novel.

Well, half a 'stand alone' novel, that is. I was a little perplexed that we did get only half a novel and have to wait until later this year for the second half and this story to be finished.

But wait I will. As the saying goes: "I've started so I'll finish."
on 19 August 2010
I read this story with a degree of anticipation, with little doubt that Koonz would return to his earlier fine form, after the relatively dissapointing previous installment of his Frankenstein saga.
I was expecting this book to satisfactorily tie up a number of loose ends, something which it largely failed to do.
After reading hundreds of pages, only to find the revelation that the story would be concluded in another book which is to be published next year, i have to say that i was left with a degree of frustration... having said all of that, Koonz remains a master of his craft, and yes when the time comes i shall be purchasing the (hopefully) concluding episode of his Frankenstein series.
on 7 November 2010
This review contains some spoilers. The first book I read of this 'trilogy' was actually the second book which I greatly enjoyed so got the first. I then waited with eager anticipation as to how it was all going to tie in and how Frankenstein meets his end. But when the third book came out after a long, long delay I was very disappointed by the rush job he'd cobbled together so decided I would not buy book 4 but wait to borrow it from the library. Now that I've read it, this is a better book than the last instalment but not by much. The book reads like a poor Mickey Spillane novel with shallow characters, the beginning of chapter 2 was clumsy as if Koontz felt the need to encapsulate the intervening years in the characters lives between books 3 and 4 into two pages, he's introduced a weird creature called Builders who consist of some kind of laughable nanocreature creating cocoons, a thin plot of Dr Frankensteins megalomaniac clone wanting to destroy the world, etc. I will look forward to the final(?) book but just to see how it all turns out and maybe see if Koontz has re-discovered his delightful writing quality of past but will I buy it? Doubt it, library again if at all.
on 8 November 2010
... I had just finished ranting about a book with a cliffhanger ending when I took delivery of the eagerly awaited fourth novel in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series. The book was great, it brought together all the characters we've come to know and love and threw them straight into another adventure and then..... stopped. Not even a cliffhanger, it just stopped. This wouldn't be so bad if the next installment was coming out in the next few weeks, but NO, we have to wait until JANUARY! If it's anything like past novels in this series, we'll be kept waiting a lot longer than that too. It feels like a cheap trick to keep people buying the books and writers should be above that. Each tale should be complete in itself, even if it is part of a series. I suspect parts 4 & 5 were meant to be one book, and the publishers have done this to keep the cash coming in, this book has the usual number of pages, but REALLY big print to take up some space.
It's not on, and hence only 3 stars.
on 18 July 2011
I picked this up with some trepidition as I was totaly unimpressed with his previous book in the Frankenstein series and nearly did'nt bother when the first page informed me that if I wanted to read the other half of the story I'd have to wait till the following year! Come on! The book was not that long the story could have been told in one volume, this is just greedy.
Anyway that said this volume is a great improvment on the previous one the charecters better written and some new ones added. Although the plot is not the most original, there's more than a passing resemblence to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", It's tightly written and with a wounderful satirical edge to it. I loved the roadhouse ambush scene. I must admit though Carson and Michael the two cops (now private detectives) seem to have gone completly ga ga since the birth of their daughter and come out with lines like "She just farted in her sleep, it was so cute", Bleaughhh! Please Mr Koontz spare us!
So a worthwile read as long as you prepared to shell out again to read the conclusion. Hopefully the next one will be the last