Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Little girls are definitely made of sugar and spice, as author Lauren Conrad proves in the third and final chapter of L.A. CANDY.

The drama picks up again with the season two premiere of "L.A. Candy," PopTV's most popular reality show. The show's main stars - Jane, Scarlett, Gaby, and Madison - are forced to smile for the cameras together as if they are best friends. As readers and show viewers understand, though, this is certainly not the case. Instead of trying to make the girls friends, show producer Trevor decides to use their disgust to his advantage to enhance ratings and plots.

Jane and her coworker, Hannah, are forced to work with Madison at Fiona Chen Events. After the revealing of Madison's plot to destroy Jane's image in SWEET LITTLE LIES, the last thing Jane wants is to have to cooperate with Madison. Little to Madison's knowledge, though, her past and greediness are about to catch up to her when her blackmailer's identity is discovered.

Scarlett is willing to work with PopTV and the show's producers more so than in the past books. She attends photo shoots and agrees to reunite with an old friend from high school, seeing as how her boyfriend, Liam, cannot be filmed. But is she really happy with her life choices and her decision to follow every PopTV command?

Lastly, Gaby is always seen as "L.A. Candy's" most naïve and somewhat plain star. However, a new publicist and directions from Trevor unleash a new side of Gaby, much to the shock of her fellow co-stars.

As you will find out in SUGAR AND SPICE, sometimes the lack of truth behind reality television can really hurt - and help those who are involved to learn about themselves along the way. The ending of L.A. CANDY is somewhat of a letdown after the amount of drama bursting within the novels, but, at the same time, it goes to show that reality television personalities are real people when all is said and done.

I hope that Conrad continues writing, for she offers an intriguing inside glimpse at the lives of reality show participants that is often unseen in fiction.

Reviewed by: Hannah Marie
on 4 January 2011
In the final instalment of the L.A. Candy series we find out the fate of Jane Roberts and her co-stars.

Madison's deceit and betrayal has been discovered by Jane but somehow she still manages to manipulate everyone around her to her own advantage. She does have SOMETHING to worry about though and it is threatening to ruin everything she has fought so hard to achieve. For me, this was the most interesting storyline in the novel as I wanted to see Madison get her comeuppance and also I tried to imagine what I would do if I were in Jane's situation. The other storylines are a little bit thin and boring and don't really seem to go anywhere.

I enjoyed this book, mainly because I was curious about what was going to happen to all of the characters but also because I like the fact that it is showing some of the more real aspects of "reality TV".

I felt that the ending was a little anti-climactic and that it could have had a bit more detail. I won't go into it too much as I don't want to give away any spoilers but for me the ending made it feel like the books were a bit pointless. I was hoping for something a little bit more exciting or profound. Then again, I am most likely slighty older than this books intended audience at twenty-two so it might be unfair to expect anything particularly insightful. Still, I felt like the books were leading up to something really juicy and exciting happening but the big event was never actually delivered.

Overall, it is an easy to read, fun, feel good book that provides a bit of escapism into the crazy world of L.A. celebrities.
on 7 October 2010
After growing to Love L.C from the reality shows that she did, I always wanted to know what the 'real' story lines were and whether or not some of it was for show or completely 100% real.
So after hearing that Miss Conrad wrote a book about her time on the show I thought it would be a great way to find out the real story.
The first two books were amazing, full of gossip - amazing writing and of course un-predictable cliff hangers, and with the release of the 3rd book looming, I will hold my hands up and say that I actually waited outside Waterstones for the staff to unlock the door so I could get a copy.

The Book starts off extremely well, taking into account that it is based around a year after the girls become famous and how they are coping with it, there is a lot of things going on, I won't spoil it but let's just say that it feels a little bit rushed in comparison to the previous two wonders.

I will however say to you - if you are a fan of the character 'Gaby' you may be disappointed that she isn't featured in the book a lot (although saying that she is not the main character) she seemed to have a lot more going on for her in the previous instalments.

The ending of the book to me personally feels slightly rushed. As if Miss Conrad had been given a strict deadline and needed to reach a certain level of equilibrium before she could quickly get the book into stores.
Through out the story you will be getting more and more involved with the story and the enigma-filled secrets that are hinted at throughout, and when these secrets are revealed, I personally felt like 'is that it? - I already knew that!'

Do Not get me wrong, I am not saying DONT BUY THIS BOOK!, but out the three - I will say it has the weakest ending.

If you loved the first two books, I will happily say get this one for this price (cheapest anywhere) but I feel that Lauren could have easily turned the ending into something more sort of extravagant and scandalous.

After hearing that Lauren is now in the process of writing a spin-off series featuring the character Madison (blatantly a copy of Heidi Montag) I will read a review first before running down to the bookstore.

Overall I will give it a four. - Good story telling nice plot but the last star is missing because the ending is missing something.
on 6 August 2012
This was my favourite of all three LA Candy novels. And at the bargain price of £1.49. This is a must-read if you've read the other two books.

I really enjoyed this as it showed just how devious reality tv can be. Putting Madison to work with Jane and Hannah at Fiona Chen events was pretty funny yet you do feel for Jane who wants to be an event planner for all the right reasons.

It was also nice to see more of Scarlett's relationship featured. Her insights into college choices etc really helped round out her character.

Madison's plot was a surprise, and seemed to be a form of karma for hurting Jane, so it was interesting for her to be the victim this time around. However, I hated Gaby in this one, her makeover didn't seem in keeping with her character and she annoyed me in the scene in the Vegas hotel room. I thought the character of Caleb didn't seem right either, in high school he was "perfect" and then once the cameras were upon him he became "fame-hungry" although he'd been talking about how building homes for the poor was so rewarding? That doesn't make sense to me.

All in all, it was a great book and gave the characters some nice closure. I would love to read the next Lauren Conrad book, The Fame Game, but at £6.99 I think it's too expensive for a Kindle book and will probably wait for a price drop.
on 16 February 2012
By far was this her best work to date. There was less of the minor mistakes but most of all it was a fun book. One thing I loved most about this book is the fact that it teaches girls that you don't need a man on your arm to have fun all you need is your friends and friends you can trust. I was so glad when Scarlett and Liam's relationship was ok, they are the characters I was rooting for, I love Scarlett she is so laid back and care-free. I was also secretly rooting for Jane and Braden because that was they only guy I took a liking in Jane's life. This book is perfect for teenage girls as it teaches you that it's ok not to have a boyfriend and it's ok to be a nobody. I wouldn't recommend reading just this book, I think you need to read the full series to really connect with it and understand it properly or you could just try really hard at trying to figure what has happened. Overall a really good book.
on 26 August 2014
The first book was ok a good story line if you have watched the hills you get an inside of what happened behind the show ( I know it fictional but this must of come from somewhere) on to the next but don't know were this is going to go!!
on 13 April 2011
Sugar and spice is based around a reality TV show, candy. Typical LA girls start in the novel, filming their lives, but when the producer of the show starts to plot scenes and take control over their lives things start to turn up side down.

Jane, one of the main characters in the book, is caught in the middle between 3 boys Celeb, her high school lover, Brendan and Jessie. But when her best friend goes behind her back and gets with her boyfriend at the time, Jessie, Madison soon becomes one of Jane's enemies.

Madison doesn't have it easy when she fears her past will be dug up when she bumps into her sister, Sofia, drowning her sours at a hotel bar. Sofia demands that Madison puts her on the show and transforms her into a typical LA wag or there would be consequences as the truth will all be reviled as Madison wasn't from a rich background but was from one of the poorest and ran away changed her name and had a load of plastic surgery so that no one at home would recognise her on TV. When Madison puts Sofia on the show Sofia losses control at a big event party and reveals all.

Jane on the other hand fell again for her high school lover but soon has doubts as he becomes too obsessed with fame. Jane ends her relationship with Celeb as she was having doubts again and thought that she was in love with Brendan and not celeb but everything is definite when Jane walks into yet another one of Trevor's plots of Celeb kissing Gaby.

Scarlett becomes close to Jane and become good friends. Things get tough for Scarlett as her boyfriend, Liam, isn't allowed on the show and be film as he work doesn't allow him to be film but POPTV. When the reality TV show starts to cause problems for the two Scarlett quits the TV show and move to university in Colombia and leaves Jane behind and takes Liam with her.

Trevor in the end is left with a lesson to be learnt as a lot of people from the show drop out and leave him hanging.

I quite enjoyed this book.
on 1 May 2011
Sugar and Spice is the third - and final - book in LC's LA Candy series and picks up pretty much where Sweet Little Lies left off. In fact all three books must only span a few months in total as Sweet Little Lies picked up where LA Candy left off, and Sugar and Spice does exactly the same. It's very clever, I must admit, to have the books so close time-wise. Season One of LA Candy has ended and Season Two is just about to air, and all the girls, Jane, Scarlett, Gaby and Madison, are at a party to celebrate the premiere of Season Two. Jane and Madison are still feuding after the goings-on of the first two books, while Scarlett is still not entirely happy about being on the show and Gaby is just Gaby. I thought it was nice to pick up with the girls again although I found it took me a while to fully get into the book.

The plot is hugely enjoyable, and has definitely taken elements from LC's experience as a reality star (and I use the term "reality" loosely because if the LA Candy trilogy is anything to go by, reality shows aren't so big on the reality). I loved all of the insider gossip and goings on of what really happens when it comes to reality shows and if there's ever anyone able to pull off the plot it had to be LC. Not only do we have the whole reality TV drama to live off, but we also have Jane's boy dramas (she's a boy-magnet!), the fact that Scarlett is dating someone, Liam, who can't actually be filmed for the show, Madison is being blackmailed and Gaby is feeling left out. Put all those elements together and it's a hugely enjoyable book. Yup, it took a bit for me to get into it but once I got into it, I was hooked and I raced to the end!

We're three books in and I still love all of the characters. Jane is a fantastic lead character, sweet, naive and incredibly likeable. Her boy dramas can be a bit much at times, but I thought they were all handled very well. Scarlett is probably my favourite character, she's feisty and says what she likes and doesn't let anyone call the shots for her and she's just plain awesome. Madison is the only character I've ever questioned. I didn't like her in LA Candy and Sweet Little Lies, and for the most part of Sugar and Spice I didn't like her, but she's finally grown on me. She makes a good bad girl (ha, oxymoron much?) but we learn more about her during the book and it turns out, she ain't so bad, not really. Gaby is just Gaby, a bit of an airhead, but her heart's in the right place. As for the boys in the book, none of them really appealed. I didn't much like Jesse or Caleb and even Braden wasn't what I expected during the book. The only boy I liked was Liam, Scarlett's boyfriend. He was the only one who seemed at all decent.

The book is written in third-person, following Scarlett, Jane and Madison and I think Conrad has done a fantastic job writing the novel. I'm not 100% sure if she wrote the book herself, but any author taking on the third-person perspective should be given kudos as it must be a difficult perspective to write from. For me, Sugar and Spice wasn't as good as the first two books, as it took me a little while to get into it but once I had persevered and got into the first 75 pages, I was well away and back into the world of the LA Candy girls. I thought the ending was very satisfactory and if the whispers are true, and Lauren is working on a new series focused on Madison, then I can't wait to see what she comes up with as Madison's story is definitely far from over. As for Jane and Scarlett, who knows if this is the end. As I said, the ending worked for me, but I'd definitely love to catch up with them again if Lauren ever decided to go down that route.
on 15 December 2012
Addmittely this certainly will never win a Pulizer Prize, but than again that probably wasn't the idea behind it anyway. Not sure whether it is intended or just me, but I find the book a very neat mirror to our gossip-craving society where it doesn't seem to matter anymore what is and is not true, filled with Z-List celebrities famous only for doing nothing.
on 26 July 2011
Like the other two books in this series, this is a fantastic read. The book definitely gives you an insight into filming a reality television show. Even though all three books state that everything is fiction and based on the author's imagination you can tell that she has used in her own life experiences, in creating this book. You can relate some of the characters to Laurens friends from The Hills. The LA Candy collection has been really enjoyable to read and you are hooked from beginning to end with dramas unfolding that you could never have imagined. If you have enjoyed The Hills then this book is definitely for you. Even though this book was the final instalment I hope Lauren continues to write in the future as she is a brilliant author.