on 17 April 2017
I first read Huck & Tom's adventures as a child & completely forgot about them.
Reading now as a 'mature' aged man I can better appreciate the culture, language & events better.
It is charming but also a disrespectful reminder of the past.
So when you read Jim being referred to as 'The N word', just remember, it was a reflection of the times.
I shall catch up with their further adventures in time
on 22 August 2013
Hahaha! This was my very first introduction to the world of Mark Twain and what a wonderful and marvellous introduction it is!
The book is a beautiful rendering of a very mischievous, precocious and clever little boy who, like a little boys, have a great love for adventure, fun and mischief. The things he gets up to, the way he thinks things through and the way he acts on his thoughts is absolutely hilarious and so very endearing at times.
In this day and age where children are now swamped with the latest electronic gadget (iPhone, iPad, xBox, Wii, etc), they have really forgotten what it is like to experience the simple joys of life where even a chipped marble or an apple core is considered big currency. In this book, children run about, invent games and plots, mimic their heroes and villains in acts of make-believe and get up to the most incredible scrapes and emerge stronger and smarter for it. Modern children are missing out!
Anyway, Mark Twain writes this book in an easy, affable and eminently readable way so please don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a classic ( and 'hence the writing must be heavy and old'). It is a great, easy and fun read, and one which I love going back to again and again, even if it just to vicariously live out my childhood days in that innocent, sweet and naive way again.
on 17 October 2014
Ashamed to say that I had reached my 60s before actually reading the whole of Huckleberry Finn (after having read Tom Sawyer, also for the first time, and you do need to have read that first). I hadn't realised how good a story-teller Mark Twain was, and if you haven't already done so I would thoroughly recommend them to you. OK, the world is rightly more politically correct now and you have to remember the culture that Twain was writing into, but even this is something of an eye-opener on the white-black divide in Mississippi at the time, but with a good deal of humour mixed in. The story requires you to suspend reality checks to some extent; for example, Huck is totally uneducated and in his early teens, but seems to have an excellent grasp of the geography along the river; perhaps he had just hitched rides on the riverboats and kept his ears open. Unlike 'Tom Sawyer', this book is written in first-person and with phonetic spelling; you just have to read with a Deep South accent!

The loss of one star is for the Kindle version, which had an irritatingly large number of words joined together - e.g. 'I tellyouifI catchyoumeddlingwithhimagain' - which you become surprisingly quick at decoding but was a bit wearing.

If you've not read it - now's your chance.
on 11 June 2015
I really don't understand why anyone should write a retold version of Mark Twain!
(Ordered this book by mistake; I found the original one and there was 'hardcover' button on the page, so I decided it would be better to have the hardcover version and it switched me to the retold one).
Not going to bother reading, will buy the original one (read the original Mark Twain's book in e-format together with my 8-years old daughter and the language is perfect, not seeing any reason for retelling).
on 23 January 2017
Read the adventures of Tom Sawyer years after reading them for the first time and they are still wonderful to read, displaying Mark Twain's literary skillls at their best. Great to be able to get these collections digitally and read them one after another. Great storytelling.
on 4 September 2013
Although an old book it was a very enjoyable read with many of the adventures being ones which children would not be able to partake in now - such as digging for buried treasure in haunted houses, and playing pirates on the Mississippi River and getting lost within cave groups. The use of charms and incantations to prevent things such as warts made me laugh quite a lot as well as other superstitions such as Tom not being able to swim due to him losing his rattle snake bracelet from his ankle.

It's quite politically incorrect at times, but you need to think about the time it was written, the fact it is set in the US south and take it all with a pinch of salt (if you're easily offended, and don't like the use of certain words I probably wouldn't read it). I had to read some of the characters such as the servant Jims parts out loud and I couldn't convert his accent in my mind, highlighting the illiteracy of the character. I really liked the sense of freedom it instilled and made me wish I could be a child again.
on 13 October 2016
I ordered this book for its beautiful artwork and colour scheme- of which I was not disapointed- however when my book arrived I found it was pretty damaged. The cover had signs of bending and was scuffed at the edges (not just at the corners) and the corners too were scuffed and bent. However, as I said, the cover artwork is beautiful and the book itself is surprisingly large and seeminly well made. Overall a very good purchase for the price that I would recommend as I was likely a one off
on 12 September 2017
I had never read any of these stories previously but it soon becomes apparent why they are included in the classic novels. Soon got used to the dialect by reading it in context. An excellent and uplifting account of people thrown together in dire circumstances and the human spirit which carried them along. Perhaps not for the current PC generation but a great snapshot of history.
on 1 June 2017
It's great to catch up with classics on Kindle - especially when they are free!

I enjoyed re-reading this but found the phonetic spelling (to indicate accents) wearing. In the end, I gave up and skimmed through a lot of the denser dialogue. I guess Mark Twain was writing for an audience who read aloud and wanted a novel to take its time.
on 24 October 2015
Tom Sawyer Collection - All Four Books...
Mark Twain

An awesome classic collection for all to read.

Take a trip back in time and revel in these beautifully written classics. Twain is exceptional, ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’,
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’, ‘Tom Sawyer Abroad’ and ‘Tom Sawyer Detective’

The extras to this volume make it a collection to thoroughly enjoy.

Great extras to this classic.