on 17 April 2017
I first read Huck & Tom's adventures as a child & completely forgot about them.
Reading now as a 'mature' aged man I can better appreciate the culture, language & events better.
It is charming but also a disrespectful reminder of the past.
So when you read Jim being referred to as 'The N word', just remember, it was a reflection of the times.
I shall catch up with their further adventures in time
on 17 October 2014
Ashamed to say that I had reached my 60s before actually reading the whole of Huckleberry Finn (after having read Tom Sawyer, also for the first time, and you do need to have read that first). I hadn't realised how good a story-teller Mark Twain was, and if you haven't already done so I would thoroughly recommend them to you. OK, the world is rightly more politically correct now and you have to remember the culture that Twain was writing into, but even this is something of an eye-opener on the white-black divide in Mississippi at the time, but with a good deal of humour mixed in. The story requires you to suspend reality checks to some extent; for example, Huck is totally uneducated and in his early teens, but seems to have an excellent grasp of the geography along the river; perhaps he had just hitched rides on the riverboats and kept his ears open. Unlike 'Tom Sawyer', this book is written in first-person and with phonetic spelling; you just have to read with a Deep South accent!

The loss of one star is for the Kindle version, which had an irritatingly large number of words joined together - e.g. 'I tellyouifI catchyoumeddlingwithhimagain' - which you become surprisingly quick at decoding but was a bit wearing.

If you've not read it - now's your chance.
on 11 June 2015
I really don't understand why anyone should write a retold version of Mark Twain!
(Ordered this book by mistake; I found the original one and there was 'hardcover' button on the page, so I decided it would be better to have the hardcover version and it switched me to the retold one).
Not going to bother reading, will buy the original one (read the original Mark Twain's book in e-format together with my 8-years old daughter and the language is perfect, not seeing any reason for retelling).
on 13 October 2016
I ordered this book for its beautiful artwork and colour scheme- of which I was not disapointed- however when my book arrived I found it was pretty damaged. The cover had signs of bending and was scuffed at the edges (not just at the corners) and the corners too were scuffed and bent. However, as I said, the cover artwork is beautiful and the book itself is surprisingly large and seeminly well made. Overall a very good purchase for the price that I would recommend as I was likely a one off
on 12 September 2017
I had never read any of these stories previously but it soon becomes apparent why they are included in the classic novels. Soon got used to the dialect by reading it in context. An excellent and uplifting account of people thrown together in dire circumstances and the human spirit which carried them along. Perhaps not for the current PC generation but a great snapshot of history.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 December 2013
Sometimes illustrated Kindle versions don't translate to the format well, but this edition is very good in every way. Clear and easy to read, and enjoyable to look at (even in black and white).

From the point of view of the story, I found it a drier read than, say, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Characters were more caricatures than well-drawn, but Twain still managed to point out the dichotomy of rich and poor in a way that makes me glad I live in the modern era.

I've been reading Tale of Two Cities at the same time, and am afraid that Twain can't hold a candle to Dickens in terms of characters and social commentary (at least, not in Prince and the Pauper), but that doesn't mean I would leave him off my list of authors who (whom?) should be read.
on 24 October 2015
Tom Sawyer Collection - All Four Books...
Mark Twain

An awesome classic collection for all to read.

Take a trip back in time and revel in these beautifully written classics. Twain is exceptional, ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’,
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’, ‘Tom Sawyer Abroad’ and ‘Tom Sawyer Detective’

The extras to this volume make it a collection to thoroughly enjoy.

Great extras to this classic.
on 14 February 2015
I like this book and if you are already interested in buying it then go ahead, you will not regret it and it is a great price. Saying that it was written a long time ago and sometimes the way the narrative is (slang) can be hard to understand. It was written for children apparently, so it makes me feel a little dim when I'm looking up words on my phone. Anyway, i would tell myself to buy it if i could go back in time and you will love the cheeky ways of Tom and Huck. My first Mark Twain book, and I enjoy his writing style very much.
on 13 September 2011
These are brilliant stories, great adventures as well as painting a vivid picture of life in the southern slave states. Full of witty detail and packed with a whole variety of hugely entertaining episodes. I write this just to boost the star ratings which are ridiculously low for such great books. I've just got a new Kindle and I'm starting off by downloading some old favourites. Pride and Prejudice of course had to be first. Next this.
As for the debate about language, to change the words would be to miss the whole point and distort history. To me the books give a clear message that slavery is wrong and the bad words are put into the mouths of people who would have known no other words to use. I haven't persuaded my children to read these yet but maybe they've read too many Rainbow Fairies and vampire romance books (actually I really enjoyed Twilight!) to enjoy the classics! Don't think these are boring dry books like some classics can be though, they are alive and exciting.
on 9 November 2013
I thought I'd buy this as I hadn't read it since childhood. I already had The Adventures of Tom Sawyer but to buy Huck Finn separately was quite expensive. This copy of both stories together was very cheap so I have given my Tom Sawyer to my friend. I was a little disappointed as the print is very small, but this does not detract from the charming story of my childhood.