This Wisehouse Classics edition is illustrated and they show up perfectly okay and large enough on a kindle e-reader, but if you look at this on a tablet device you can enlarge the illustrations if you so desire. I should point out that these illustrations are in black and white, the first edition of this tale did have colour pictures but these were hand painted and so most editions such as this only go for the black and white versions. Never having been out of print since it was first published this novella has remained a favourite amongst us all both young and old, and I know I am not the only person who has read it many times.

In many ways Dickens helped to ‘invent’ Christmas as we know it today, this tale being a part of that. With Scrooge first being approached by the ghost of his deceased former business partner he is warned that he will be visited by three spirits. Written in an easy to read style we see how Ebenezer Scrooge changes his ways and by looking at his past we can start to see why he is like he is. But as the Christmas spirits of the past, present and future show Scrooge things he knows that a change must be made. From greed and selfishness, with lost opportunities and lost love, this tale shows us how redemption can be gained as Scrooge himself starts to transform.

A hit on first publication and also acclaimed by critics Dickens here plays with our emotions giving us a feel good sensation as we are told to be more generous and kindlier hearted, something that always seems to happen more over the Christmas period. Always an enjoyable read this is something that the whole family should love.
on 13 January 2016
I read this every year at the beginning of December. The message within its pages is still as powerful now as it was when first written in 1843. A tale of redemption which has been copied again and again but never matched. A story of hope for us all. It's never too late to change our ways. I keep Christmas in a good way and hope that the cheer will stretch into the new year. A genius delivering his knockout punch. Every political sentiment, the power of giving, the lightness of laughter, the empathy of caring and the humility of position, all wrapped up in the finest novella of all time.
on 9 June 2015
Oh we all know the tale of Eberneezer Scrunge and his night of torture at the hands of Gaz Topp and his miserable elves (Mumpy, Gumbo, Flucks, et al), but whomany of us know the story behind Dickens' own 'black night of the soul', ie, Bonfire Night, 1850, when he and his by then fatugly wife (and whomany of us wouldnot be fatugly given having birth some eighty-two times to the same bearded man, and she a Wedgewood?) whence for once he was besieged by the sort of sausages one only usually sees at weekends (underneath), along with a particularly viscous (ie, sticky liquidy) attempt on his life by one, possibly two, Fred Dineage/s, and what looked like, to some, a whole herd of Carol Voordermans? The answer, off course, being Severn. Witch said, stick with The Muppets one or at worst the Albert Finney, this is full of words.
on 31 January 2017
I read this book during Advent and it's simply a wonderful, warming, beautiful Christmas classic. I don't find Dickens that easy to read although his stories are of course just magnificent. But this is concise, sweet, atmospheric, magical and thought-provoking. The story is as relevant today as it was 150 years ago. Ebenezer Scrooge is a wonderful character, far more complex and poignant than the cartoon-like figure we usually associate with the name. You could weep for him.
This reprint includes the original illustrations which are an intrinsic part of the story. However, a word of warning - there are a few typos in this edition.
on 10 January 2017
For my English GCSEs. This was very useful as it was the full illustrated copy which was very easy to use and being able to take notes at the side was very convenient as I needed to annotate to remember quotes for marks in my English paper.
on 29 February 2016
This is one of my favourite books, and I still read it from time to time out of season. I don't think this really should be restricted to a 'Christmas tals' because it encompasses so much more than the more shallow tales of Christmas (hello, Santa.) This is a story of greed, and ignorance, of human compassion and the of course Dickens expertly interweaves the moral background with the idea of christmas: a festive season where people are generous and give presents. This, is the antithesis of Scrooge, and I still adore how the three ghosts change him overnight. Marley with the chains of debt, the ghost of Christmas past showing Ebeneezer his childhood, The jolly present-ghost showing the world as it is, how humans are, their feeling towards Scrooge, and finally (my favourite) the ghost of things yet to come... His absence of words emphasises 'actions speak louder than words', and always used to scare me. The gravestone of Scrooge is unloved and his possessions are flogged.
The story of his employee, which I'll let you read for yourself, is a story in itself- a true analogy to the working person at the time and a truly heartfelt, warming story.

If you see this book cheaply, please give it a read!
on 24 December 2012
I think A Christmas Carol is a book best enjoyed when being read aloud. The writing is beautiful, as of course is the language. The opening sentence is still one of my favourites and spending the first three paragraphs being assured that Marley absolutely is dead was much more entertaining then it probably should have been.

I loved the way Dickens addresses the reader throughout, which is another reason I think this is so suited for reading to or having someone read it to you. My copy came with extra little notes to explain some of the less known sayings which were helpful.

A Christmas Carol is so well known that you aren't really in for any surprises. That said I did think that you gain a much better understanding of Scrooge from the book.

For this time of year I can't think of another book as suited.
on 9 October 2016
I ordered this book for my younger brothers book report and he was happy with the quality of the product.
The product arrived before the estimated delivery date and was packaged very well.
I found it looks exactly like the picture. Overall I am pleased with this product.
on 9 December 2015
This is the timeless tale of Scrooge, a miserable miser who loathes Christmas until he's visited by three spirits. Everyone has probably watched a film version of 'A Christmas Carol' but I implore you to read this classic with charming illustrations. It's a rather quick and pleasurable read, just the thing to get you into the Christmas spirit!
on 26 December 2013
I think that the review by F E Hamilton was attached to the wrong annotated Christmas Carol. This has annotations throughout; the original illustrations plus many others; and a suitable cover (,as is clear from the picture on Amazon).

This is a well produced high quality edition with helpful annotations.

Beware that the Kindle and paperback 'Christmas Carol's linked with this book and not versions of the hardback described here. This may have led to the confusion referred to above.