on 15 May 2016
Beautifully illustrated. I have the whole collection of books illustrated by R. Ingpen and I just LOVE them. It is my greatest pleasure to read them to my kids and I am enjoying them over and over again thanks to the beautiful editions. I do own many different editions of all the classic stories but this one is the best. I hope to read it to my grandchildren in the future.
on 12 July 2017
This is not a book, but a fake and defective print of an unreadable format from the US. Pure mockery of the writer's work. Stay away unless you want a confirmation of your own poor cognitive skills. Or wish to become as illiterate as the American population.
on 12 July 2017
Beautiful looking book from the pictures, but don't be fooled - there are no colouring pages. Only the front cover and back cover are possible to colour, the rest is just the original text from The Jungle Book (this was not specified under "details" when I bought).
on 29 May 2016
This review is more about the book itself rather than the story. I couldn't write words to describe how amazing all Kipling's stories are. The book is beautiful. Wonderful illustrations,lovely little added bonuses likes maps and pull out pictures but all done in the style of the era the book was written in. Bought it as a present and about to buy it again for myself. More that a book,defiantly worth buying if it is for a gift. Excellent quality and looks like it's more expensive than it is.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2011
Roughly half of The Jungle Book is the story of Mowgli, the man cub, who is found in the forest and brought up by wolves. Mowgli's place in the wolf pack is `bought' by Bagheera the panther who pays for it with the carcass of a bull and his chief defender and educator is the old bear, Baloo. Baloo teaches Mowgli the ways of the `jungle people' - all the animals who live in the jungle - giving him the languages he needs to communicate with each species except for the naughty monkeys who fall outside the laws of the jungle. We follow Mowgli as he grows up, keeps away from his arch enemy Shere Khan the lame tiger (who wants to eat him) and join his friends as they attempt to rescue him from a monkey abduction. Everyone tells Mowgli that one day he must return to the world of man and be with his own kind but he believes he's a wolf, not a man, and so we can be sure that nothing will go smoothly when he tries to fit in with the local villagers.

Disney did a wonderful job of turning Kipling's dark and violent story into a jolly children's cartoon with lots of singing and fun. In the book things are far from gentle - there's a lot of fighting, animals wanting to kill their own kind and other animals, Akala the wolf-pack leader being threatened with death and the pack turning against each other. Mowgli and Shere Khan are destined to move towards a final countdown in which only one can survive. We want Mowgli to survive and thrive but this is the story of an outsider, someone who doesn't fit with his adopted species or his biological species. I certainly didn't expect to feel so moved by this small boy raised amongst wolves.

The language will be a barrier to many as it doesn't sit easily on the 21st century tongue or in the modern ear - we're just not used to phrases like "thou goest to thy mother...lamer than ever thou camest into the world". It's all 'thou' and 'thy' and complicated old-fashioned sentence construction. I don't doubt that Kipling was making a point by giving these voices to the animals but they sound very clunky to the modern reader.

There's another half of the book still to go when Mowgli's story reaches its end and the shorter stories in the collection take over. The problem is that the e-book is very poorly laid out and you'll need to really be paying attention to realise that you've just finished one story and started another because there are no chapters or breaks between tales. One moment I was merrily egging Mowgli on in his show-down battle and skipping over the annoying `songs' which were almost unreadable due to the dodgy layout then the next I was wondering where the story of a seal on the ice-flow fitted into the Indian jungle. Similarly the transition into the story of Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose popped up without any warning and then along came a story of a boy who wanted to be a mahout (elephant handler). It was extraordinarily confusing.

The stories that follow Mowgli's main event are cute, endearing and rather charming - if you can work out where they start and finish. The info that I found on my kindle about the book informed me that it had been converted from book to kindle format by a group of volunteers. At times it reads like those volunteers might have been the infinite number of monkeys locked in a room trying none too successfully to recreate the works of Shakespeare. I'm guessing it may have been one of the earlier books to be converted because there's a big problem with a lack of chapters, a lack of spacing and layout and a general sense that the whole lot has just been shoved into one big block of text. I mentioned the songs and poems that intersperse the Jungle Book - these would probably be really fun if they'd been laid out on the page better. Instead you find yourself wondering if they are prose or poetry.

I can't grumble too much after paying the grand sum of not one single penny for my copy but I am now inspired to go out and buy it in book form, just to read again and get the more authentic experience of the stories as they were written and originally presented.
on 10 February 2017
This is a superb edition of Kipling's classic Mowgli stories. They are of course a product of their time, and it has to be borne in mind when reading. This is of course so with all historical writing from Shakespeare to Orwell. It helps that Kipling is a writer of staggering skill, able to show us much about humanity while apparently characterising animals. Some younger readers might struggle a bit with some apparently archaic language, but it only requires a bit of effort to understand. Quite often Kipling is using thees and thous to suggest that characters are speaking and thinking in languages other than English - which, being Indian, they would be. This edition is also fabulously illustrated by Australian Robert Ingpen. If you haven't seen any of his illustrations before, you are in for a delighted surprise - check out what else he has done.
on 26 May 2016
Sticks fairly faithfully to the original book rather than either film. We listened to disc 1 and actually thought the story had finished, only discovering disc 2 a while later! Given it's setting is fairly alien to a 21st century British child it was quite hard to imagine what is happening and understand the meaning.

It's good but not sensational. Kept my son generally interested on car journeys.
on 12 June 2016
Saw the flim at cinema with my 5year old daughter she love it then she asked for the book she loves it takes it every where with her nice letter size and some nice picture's in it well worth it when it finish finished she would like another one fom the series
on 20 February 2015
My daughter (aged 2) adores The Jungle Book and we wanted a copy of the story to pacify her when the DVD went 'missing' (!). There are lots of versions of this story available, but this one ties in exactly with the film (and the illustrations are obviously from the film too) which meant that the story and characters were instantly recognisable to her. She enjoys listening to the detailed story and looking at the book alongside the film, making links between the two media.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 August 2011
I bought this for my well-travelled grandchildren (three and one); I always use the iPod with audiobooks on long journeys and this is one for their future. Apart from the enjoyment of the story, for a visual generation, I thought it would be good exercise for those to apertures on either side of the much-used eyes. An ex-colleague of mine used to say he "enjoyed the wireless because the scenery was better"; I hope the scenery will be vivid for my two.
Sensibly abridged, well-read with effective background music,it does Kipling proud.
On the CD cover as well as in the product details, I just wish Mr Kipling featured and was given credit for his original writing. "Author: Arcadia Books" indeed!