Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 November 2010
A United Kingdom table tennis champion, Matthew Syed recognizes that he succeeded not because of innate talent, but rather due to the special circumstances of his youth. He was able to learn from expert, dedicated teachers and to practice all the time. Syed knows he was fortunate and, to his credit, he worked hard to become as good as he could be. He discusses the science that demonstrates the validity of the adage, "Practice makes perfect." He explodes the "talent myth" by presenting scientific evidence that people who practice with enough diligence, patience and focused intensity can become great, regardless of the presence or absence of supposedly inborn ability. Syed covers numerous other fascinating topics, including racial stereotypes, the "placebo effect" and baseball players' "good luck" rituals. getAbstract warmly recommends Syed's well-researched, enlightening book - a hymn to the power and efficacy of practice, dedication, determination and hard work.
on 26 June 2012
I bought this book by chance and I am so glad I did. It has some fantastic findings and is inspirational really meaning any of us could achieve just about anything if we put in the practice. As a teacher I have found this very positive and a great read for anyone.
on 16 July 2014
What a great book, thought provoking and challenging. I really enjoy the convenience of instant download and getting started to read right away. No problems with the download and I would encourage anyone, particularly sports people and musicians, to get this book.
on 28 September 2011
This book provides a very readable summary of various aspects of deliberate practice. I have read several other books on this and have found this to be the best. The fact that it focuses on sport doesn't detract from its applicability to other areas of expertise
on 29 May 2011
I started off a cynic but his analysis and argument is difficult to refute. I ended up still believing that some people are born with natural aptitudes in all arenas but it is not easy to mount a compelling argument against Syed. Could not put the book down.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2014
Written from the perspective of a world no. 1 class athlete, prepared not to pander to the clichés of praise. Instead to diligently & scientifically find true meanings behind ability. All eloquently & logically explained & verified. A stunning piece of work.
on 27 January 2013
This is a must read book, whether you are a sports person or not. You may not want to agree with the conclusion but there are plenty of fascinating examples and case studies and until you have read the book your not really informed to debate the conclusion.
on 1 September 2012
Along with 'soccer tough' by dan abrahams this has to be one of my favourite ever psychology based sports books. He is just utterly convincing with his argument and turned my opinion around about matters page after page. Highly recommended. Just brilliant
on 2 January 2016
The most enjoyable book I have read in ages. Full of great examples that make the subject seem so obvious. I wish I had read this years ago or at least understood its contents when I was a lot younger! I'm going to try and get my sons to read this asap!
on 18 April 2016
Awesome, strong proof is given in the book that so called genius are nothing of the sort, In the great majority of cases they are proven to be normal people who just engage in extreme practice, 10000hrs + and become super talented. A must read book.