TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Cecelia Ahern's books - enjoyed PS I Love You and Thanks for the Memories, not so keen on The Gift or The Book of Tomorrow. Sometimes it seems like she has a great idea for a book, but doesn't quite manage to follow through with a believable or engaging story.

So, the premise for this one is that journalist Kitty is given a list of names by her dying mentor Constance, with no indication of who these people are or why Constance was so interested in them. This happens at a time when Kitty is at her lowest ebb and is in the midst of a crisis of conscience and confidence, having been successfully sued by a PE teacher she falsely accused of abusing two of his pupils. She feels she owes it to Constance to redeem her career and self-respect by proving that she can be an honest and principled journalist.

As she starts to work her way through the list of names, Kitty encounters a group of seemingly non-descript people who on the surface appear to have nothing in common, and she struggles to see why Constance should have pointed her in their direction. However as their stories develop it becomes clear to Kitty that, with most people, it's what goes on beneath the surface that counts.

This one definitely fell into the `hit' category for me. It's a light, funny and heartwarming read (albeit verging on the sentimental at times) but there's also a bit of an edge to it. My one criticism would be that things are tied up a little too neatly and predictably at the end, but overall this didn't spoil my enjoyment of this charming and very likeable book.
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2017
This book was easy to read, captured me and took me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I did not want it to end. Thank you Cecelia, you did it again!
on 3 August 2017
fantastic book
on 12 August 2013
I enjoy this author her imagination really is second to none. Not scared to jump out of reality and back into mingling both to make it believable. But this book lacked her usual sentiment and feeling. Still worth a read as she still beats most chick lit authors
on 1 April 2017
Loved it
on 10 June 2017
GREAT READ
on 29 June 2017
loved it
on 2 October 2017
Perfect. My partner loves books written by Cecelia Ahern and here is yet another great book, which she enjoyed reading.
on 23 November 2013
I love her books - but I haven't finished this one. I found it confusing, and I wasn't interested enough to see how it ends.
on 9 May 2017
A perfect gift for my Niece who loved it. She is an avid Cecelia Ahern fan, whose writing she finds very entertaining.