Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 August 2017
This book is designed with a golden cover and photos of the HRH Prince Charles on many of the pages. The photos are exceptional, giving the reader access to a collection that would only be available to a prince. The message in the book is obvious to any of us that live close to nature, those of us who have known since the 1990's that climate change is an issue for our planet and that we should live in harmony with nature. It is reassuring that HRH Prince Charles uses his power to emphasise this point, however, the book is written from his egotistical, self centred and glass towered perspective which comes through clearly in the narrative which is sometimes difficult to absorb. The mathematical analysis relating our relationship to the environment to a sacred geometry is interesting. It's too bad that HRH Prince Charles cannot communicate in a language that is not self promoting or privileged as this is not natural to most of us.
on 12 April 2017
thought provoking and beautifully written
on 28 July 2017
Very lovely book. It is a pleasure to read it!
on 30 May 2011
I was astonished by this book. I was astonished by the HRH that wrote it. It has put my view of the man on an entirely different level, and happy I will be to have such a King.

The depth of learning on which his words are based is extraordinary, and I know this because he follows quite uncannilly my own. He brings up many issues I have, quotes the exact verses I have, and tries to help move us forward in ways I haven't yet got to grips with.

I know his basis in philosophy will make a lot wince, but I know what he says is true; it is the very path I started along myself. Since we appear to have walked the same road and come to the same conclusions, there must be something born of right thought in it.

His explanation of the lost ecological essence of the major religions is remarkable to me since I have struggled with the paradox of how far religion has moved away from our Source, the Earth. It is indeed this fracture that has made us believe we are masters of the planet. Man cannot create one blade of grass! We are made up of the rocks and minerals, the air, water, and bacteria of this planet - we are part of it, and it is all of us. We do not exist without it, we are One.

He has done a very remarkable and brave job of pulling the threads together. I agree entirely that we must control ourselves - our population size - or we will go beyond the Earth's willingness to sustain us. This is critical; solving our insane lack of selfcontrol, and sealing the rift between knowledge and knowing, selfishness and community, human and all else, is vital.

Science is a mode of enquiry and it has given us much, but it is only that. There is much that we do not know, much that we never will. We are viewing the world through a letterbox and it's about time we got a much wider holistic outlook whilst there is still beauty to be dreamed.
on 14 January 2011
Like a many people I used to think of Prince Charles as being a naive and unworldly tree hugger. In fact in many ways he was a man before his time, a prophet crying in the wilderness and far from being a fool he was talking nothing but common sense. Either that or else I have just got older or perhaps wiser myself.

This is a well written and lavishly illustrated book and will sit well on anybody's shelf, coffee table or reading desk. It is also a very practical book for gardeners, environmentalists and anybody trying to come to terms with the 21st century.
on 13 February 2016
I have not yet read this book fully but, as usual, the Prince of Wales shows his grasp of the need for the environment to be both considered and improved. This is another really good, educational read and another one which should be read and digested by politicians the world over, especially Members of Parliament!. Thoroughly recommended.
on 1 November 2016
brilliant
on 26 June 2014
HRH's motive are worthy, and it is difficult to fault many of the charitable works, etc. he is involved with. Poundbury is another matter, of course!, a blot on the town of Dorchester and its environs of epic proportions. However, as a writer, even with the of two of his closest aides, this is a piece of typically woolly British ecological prose. Why is it that some many English language ecologists seem unable to apply logic or structure to their arguments? I am deeply concerned with ecological matters, but I wouldn't be if I relied on this stuff for philosophical grounding and encouragement.

Prince Charles could have saved himself and everyone else a lot of time and effort by reading and reflecting on Martin Heidegger's two seminal essays 'The Question Concerning Technology' and 'The Turn', both of which are available in a number of good inexpensive English translations. It's all there in lest than 60 pages! Thought through at a level unrivalled in depth and richness.

Don't waste valuable reading time, go to the source.
on 11 March 2011
This is a very well written book covering the whole area of problems that we face as humans on our fragile planet. It covers the history of how we got to where we are and why we think like we do, but also dares to suggest that we should take note of where we went wrong, which was mainly divorcing ourselves from nature and living in discord with it instead of in harmony.

The breadth is amazing covering philosophy, art, ecology, agriculture, architecture, global warming, education, economics, health, spirituality the list goes on, but the main theme is that you can't divorce one from the other. Life is a system in which they're all interrelated.

The other point it makes is although science has raised our standard of living considerably over the last four hundred years, we must remember that it always proves itself wrong as it progresses. Nature on the other hand has had nearly fourteen billion years to get it right.

Another thing I love about this book is that it challenges our need for constant economic growth and more and more material things, happiness isn't measured by how much we possess. What we need is empathy for other humans, animals and nature itself, foresight for what a beautiful planet we could have and an awareness of where we are going wrong. It also offers many pointers on how to achieve these things.

The Prince is obviously a deeply spiritual man (and I don't mean religious) and comes from a world centric perspective. If only there were more public figures like him.

The book begins with a call for a revolution! Well I for one speak the same language and when there is enough of us we'll have a wonderful planet to hand down to our children and grand children.
44 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2011
Charles, Prince of Wales puts into very inspiring yet understandable words a highly complex relationship and congruence between nature, art, science, environment and spirituality. This is an exceedingly easy to follow book and an exceedingly beautifully read audiobook by Prince Charles. Many people prejudiced about monarchy will in the future acknowledge this ground breaking work. HRH quotes with equal ease Theodore Alexander, Pythagoras and Lao Tzu - at the same time showing the similarity of a Stradivarius violin with the essential geometry of nature.
An often misunderstood pioneer of alternative thought, organic farming and human scale architecture, he makes his points with unassuming surety. Anybody but the most truculent doubter will surely see the relationship and custodianship we have with nature and our own spirituality explained in this MUST listen-to audiobook.