Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2012
Honestly, to me Melissa is a genius. The sheer size and complexity of this story is mind boggling!

It is not just that by the time you read Darkest Mercy there are about seven faerie courts involved - each with its set of regents, hierarchy and followers - but the fact that she manages to give each of them, and I do not mean just the courts but every character within them, very defined characteristics, personality and interests. Not to mention the politics in between the courts, which... closely resembles real life politics: lies, manipulation, misleading, good intentions behind devious means and worse. As an inspiring writer, creating a story filled with so many characters that are all so different seems like a damn tall order, but Melissa manages it beautifully.

Is Darkest Mercy the best book of the saga? I am not sure. Then again, I cannot see the story ending any other way. Be prepared to run for the tissues.

What amazes me the most about this series, though, is Melissa's contrasts: beauty is sickening, cold is passionate, perfection is boring, cruelty is noble and death is merciful. The tittles to her books are a good hint of how she operates. Every first impression you have of any situation and any character gets thrown right out of window as you get to know them better, to the point that after all the lies, deceits, deaths and love affairs you cannot really dislike any of them, apart from Discord. Keenan is the typical example for me. Through his manipulations, misleading and lies I can say I did not like him from the very beginning and was hoping he would pay for his ways. In Darkest Mercy, however, you will discover a little more about him and I found myself hoping he would also have his shot at true love and happiness. How do you go from wishing a character's death throughout the first four books to cheering for him at the very last one? *scratches head in confusion*

Ultimately, for me, these books are also about human nature, as every court is the embodiment of a facet of human personality, and the fact that true happiness can only be found when a balance in between all those is achieved. I would most highly recommend this series to anyone.

"Let Melissa Marr take through alluring romances, heart-stopping danger and sinister intrigues. Step into a world of shadows and desire - into the world of Faerie."
on 25 February 2011
Have just read this on my kindle and really enjoyed it. It's good. Not great, but definitely good. Melissa Marr's managed to keep me interested enough to read all five of her books in this series.

In this book, there's a cheeky little twist that occurs in order to bring to an end the Aislinn, Keenan, Donya, Seth love thingy - more than a triangle but less than a square, or rectangle, make of that what you will :).

The water fey described in the beginning of the book really piqued my interest and I wondered that Marr was introducing yet another new thread into this already massive tapestry. I believe the water fey were perhaps meant to play a larger part in the story than they actually did - I could be wrong, but it certainly felt that way.

There are some more new kids on the block, Death and his sister. They've turned up for one very important fairy, but as they wait they gather up several more who are killed thanks to Bananach (the fairy of War). Bananach's had enough of being the fey bully, she's tired of reigning in her cruelty and decides it's time that blood spilled...some will fall...

Leslie from Ink Exchange makes a reappearance, and practically everyone features in this book - which must have been quite a challenge to write. Devlin, Ani and Sorcha fall into the background, which makes sense considering their stories were told in 'Radiant Shadows' (Book 4).

Certainly entertaining, but for me this doesn't leap into first place ahead of the other books in the series. The four books ahead of 'Darkest Mercy' deal with different main characters, this book pulls together the various stories into a fairly satisfying conclusion.
on 19 February 2015
The book is a fantastic climax ending to a wonderful series of books i read all of them in a week i could not put them down i had to know how it ended. The service from the book seller was top nothch i got my book in 3 days of ordering which was fantastic.
on 9 April 2013
Five out of Five!
I loved this book and i was completely engaged in it as soon as i started! Marr has done a brilliant job and i look forward to reading more books like this!!!
on 3 December 2014
I love escapism ,let's face it this is nothing but. This book is the one you buy to see if everything you thought would pan out does. A nice tidy finish!
on 3 February 2014
I loved all these books. It was a great ending to this series of books, bringing everything into synthesis. I really recommend this book
on 25 April 2013
I had the first 2 books in this series and once I'd read those I had to read the 3rd one!
on 8 May 2015
Wonderful book, great service. What more can you say. Thank you.
on 23 November 2015
Completely and utterly captivated by this series, Marr is a legend
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2011
We start right where we left off in the last book; in the aftermath of Bananach's attack on those of the Dark court, Gabriel's daughter Tish is already dead by her hands and Irial, having tried to defend the Dark King; Nial, is now seriously injured and facing death. Nial is angry and suffering without Irial's guidance and he has lost the faith in himself he needs to be the Dark King his court needs. Without Irial around, he slowly begins to turn insane and turning against those that he cares about as a result. Everything regarding Irial is not what it seems though, with the stitching together of their dreams by Rae in the last book...

Meanwhile, having not heard much from Keenan, we now see what he has been doing for the last 6 months since leaving Aislinn, the Summer Queen and his counterpart to Summer in charge of their court. We see that it was a valuable use of time from which he gains new allies as a result and which could come into play if Bananach succeeds in her mission to cause the War she so desperately wants. We see how Aislinn has been able to deal with the Summer Court on her own but is missing both Keenan and Seth who is still in Faerie following the closing of the Veil in the last book.

But Seth of course , is not one to sit back, so inevitably he leaves Fairie to go see Aislinn and help his `brother'; The Dark King Nail and a few other's along the way... Seth sees future threads as we learned in the last book, but not once does he utter what they may be to anyone, heightening the tension and uping the anti as the inevitable fight against Bananach looms closer. It is only a matter of time rather than an if and it then becomes a game of trying to get all the courts to stand together in opposition to her.

Winter Queen, Donia is let in for a surprise with an unexpected event which rocks the whole world of Faerie and possibly for the better, in the looming battle...

The end of the book see's the inevitable battle with Bananach in an epic fashion and which sways from both sides so many times it is never actually clear untill the very end, who wins... and with it a whole lot of deaths but also a whole lot of new beginnings which provide the perfect end to this fantastic, spellbinding, beautiful unforgettable series.

Sadly we have entered the world of Fairie for the last time but if like me, you have enjoyed this series, I am sure it won't be the last time we delve back in to Faerie to relive it all again.

Cassandra220689