on 5 January 2016
After finishing 'it's not what you think', I thought I wanted to read this next book to find out what happened in the meltdown & 'Billie-years'...but no, I soon realised that I didn't...I was really interested in how Chris worked, hard, to get himself back to the best place he is in now...and well done to The Evan's..
on 4 March 2017
I can thoroughly recommended this book a great read couldn't put it down - you may be a Fruitcake but what a life
on 13 January 2016
bought for my partner who after reading his most recent one, wanted to know a bit more
on 3 August 2013
Chis despite his madness earlier on in life and through it - I might ad comes across as a generous soul, and a down to earth guy. He has become more grounded over the years and it is nice to see him happy and hear him first thing every morning! I am a big fan!
on 26 March 2013
Good read,like top ten at start of each chapter good insight to Chris Evans
. Bring on the next one.
Chris Evan's, like him or loathe him, is a genius. Here we have the second half of his autobiography following on from last year's part one. This picks up at the point he bought Virgin Radio and takes us through to the present day.

It is refreshingly honest and very interesting, although told in light and easy to read chapters. It is incredible what the guy has done, part by luck and part by judgement and it is a calmer and moderate Chris Evans that takes us back through his most difficult years. He shares lots of amazing tales (I loved him in the South of France having dinner with Bono and then being invited to drink the best wine in the world by Andrew Lloyd-Webber) with his descent into the darker side of his personality and behaviour. Yep you do roll your eyes about how many times he had everything you could wish for and then chucked it away, but a flawed genius is still a genius and you do root for him when he finally gets it all together and turn into today's Chris Evans.

I was a listener at the time of the Virgin changes so it was interesting to see it from the other side although sorry to see the way he was forced to get rid of the old team through Boardroom politics. It has to be said that I don't tend to listen to his R2 show now, I actually think he has gone a bit middle of the road and lost the edge he once had - perhaps his new re-invention of himself has slightly taken the edge off, but it is nice to see a tortured soul settled down and coming to terms with himself.

This is a very interesting read that works on a number of levels - recommended.
55 Comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2011
I've been a far of Chris Evans since the very first episode of the Big Breakfast, only wavering when his ego span out of control and by his own admission he pretty much lost the plot. The first volume of his autobiography, "It's Not What You Think", was a hugely enjoyable read and this book picks up where the last finished at the time of his acquisition of Vigin Radio. Personally I felt this second volume fell short of the high standards of the first. It was more interesting to hear of his growing up and developing career than it has been to read of his fall from grace and subsequent climb back up the ladder.

For me the repeated self depracation and chastisement became dull as were the lengthy tales of Ferrari adulation and acquisition. There are a few pages dedicated to the oppulance of his former Surrey home which go into so much detail as to the granduer of it all that it sounds vain and boastful, which I'm sure weren't the intention as Chris appears very much a changed man, but were nonetheless excessive.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. It gives an insight into the world of celebrity, it's honest, it's easy to read and there are far worse autobiographies out there. Equally though there are far better reads which why I'm scoring this an average 3/5.
on 11 November 2010
The second part of Chris Evans' brilliant autobiography, following where 'It's Not What You Think' left off. If the first book was a more sentimental reflection on how he reached the heady heights of fame and success from his early beginnings, this second part goes into what those kind of heights can do to a man. He is open, honest, touching, laugh-out-loud amusing and a fantastic writer.

I haven't been in to autobiographies before but this had made me not only a new fan of the genre but also a born-again Chris Evans fan and a new listener of his Radio 2 breakfast show.

I loved every minute of it and couldn't put it down - really recommend it!
on 4 March 2011
I really enjoyed Chris' first book 'Its Not What You Think' which I found very entertaining - this isn't. The whole book should have been condensed into a few chapters and tagged on to the end of the first book. This one felt too long and rather dull. Most of the early chapters seemed to end with a hint of something interesting to come i.e 'but there was worse to come' but the eventual tale never quite lived up to expectations.

Most of the stories involve other famous names but they are not nearly as interesting as the tales in his first book of normal everyday people! I did enjoy the couple of chapters about his marriage to Billie Piper (call me old fashioned though, but if they really did love each other as much as he claims I'm sure their marriage could have survived different work schedules...but maybe thats just me).

Read the first, give this one a miss.
on 23 January 2012
I am a big fan of Chris Evans both on TV and radio so was delighted to receive this book as a Christmas present,however I was quite disappointed by it. I felt that it was dull and didn't reflect Chris's personality at all.The chapter surrounding the break-up of his marriage to Billy Piper sounded rather unbelievable, considering how much they loved one another.I thought they could have worked through the minor inconveniences given that they would be apart for a matter of months and were wealthy enough to be able to travel easily. Most of all I hated the boastful way he went on about ostentatious purchases then said how happy the simple life made him.Sorry Chris,I shall stick to listening to you on the radio in future.....don't write another book if it's going to be like this one.