Customer reviews

The Babylon Rite
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2014
I sent for this book together with The Deceit, having read everything I could find by Paul Sussman and Will Adams, as historical and archeological themes with a gripping storyline is my preferred theme. I was certainly not disappointed and can recommend this most interesting book.
on 2 October 2017
Great
on 4 March 2012
I read all of Tom Knox's other books and this didn't disappoint, although I felt it dragged towards the end a bit, but still very good. I think I preferred his first two but I would still highly recommend this as a gripping read.

Watch out for the Toothpick Fish - eeew!
on 17 October 2017
Really good book keeps you not wanting to put it down.
on 2 November 2012
I struggled through this book like I did through his last, purely for the sake of the plot. Sadly the Author's writing skills have not improved. The scene lacks atmosphere, the characters are lifeless and two-dimensional and why on earth does Tom Knox feel the need to use every adjective and adverb the English language has to offer in each novel. Why e.g. can the weather not simply be 'cold' instead of 'frigid'. The two words are NOT interchangeable, even if Thesaurus says so.
on 10 December 2014
I have read and enjoyed previous novels by Tom Knox but The Babylon Rite was a monumental disappointment.

Don't waste your money buying this book. It is poorly written, has bad syntax and grammar and has far too much padding that distracts from the story line. The Templars segments of the story are minimal and only incidental to the main story which takes in the present time (c. 1900 to 2014)

I found the main theme of the novel was sexual perversion and debauchery through use of extremely dangerous drugs. If you consider the following topics obscene and disgusting, I would strongly suggest you do not read this book. Content that I found obsene were: violent rape, violent anal rape, erotic murder, erotic suicide, erotic self-mutilation, torture, bestiality, mass human sacrifice, mass murder and any other perversion and debauchery you can think of and several more that only a truly sick mind could conceive.

Tom Knox is now on my "never buy any of his books again" list.
on 12 April 2012
Interesting start with solid characters.Sadly author seemed to struggle to pull the story together towards the end and lost my interest a little. Nevertheless not too bad.
on 16 February 2012
This is Tom Knox's best thriller so far, I think. I knew nothing about the terrifying Moche culture of Peru - to be perfectly truthful, I'd never heard of them until I read this book. It's one of the things that I enjoy about Tom Knox's novels - despite the fantastically page-turning stories and the truly lurid murders at the heart of each one, I learn things about the world - its history, archaeology, rituals, cultures and ancient civilisations - that I nev knew before. He's really brilliant at digging up the most incredibly obscure but fascinating details and linking them together within a really entertaining story. This one travels from Scotland to Peru via lots of ancient Templar-associated sites. My favourite part is when the characters travel through South America, which I have never visited, but it is clear that the author has - his descriptions of poor rural villages and the weird rituals going on in the markets is riveting. You can tell he's travelled to these places and recorded genuine experiences, because the details ring true and are extremely vivid. This is never going to win literary awards, but it's the perfect armchair or holiday read - it'll sweep you away all over the world and leave you breathless and a little horrified. Just what I like.
33 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2013
I can see the idea that the Templars fought under the influence of a drug, but the means of getting to that conclusion was a tad too bloodthirsty for me. I tried this book before and gave up because of that.
on 30 April 2014
This is the third book that I've started to read and lo and behold the format is the same as the last two. I just hope that the ending is a proper one this time and doesn't leave the whole point hanging in the air. Don't think it has been proof-read properly as Jessica turned into Nina in one chapter!!! What is it with authors nowadays, they all have such lame endings.