Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2013
Bought on impulse for my Kindle and then forgotten about, I stumbled across it when I was looking for a book to read. I'd forgotten what the story was about. So it was a delightful surprise to start it and discover what a cracking story it was, beautifully written and a real page-turner. I shall look out for more of his books - and try not to forget about them the next time.
on 6 October 2013
I enjoyed this book. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am not a true fan of Sword and Sorcery novels but having been gently led into them by Lois McMasters Bujold I have sampled a few others. Mostly I can tell very soon that they are not for me but this book led me on quite successfully. It seems to me to be very heavily based on what is know of real happenings in the English and Viking worlds towards the end of the first Millennium. It may be that having some knowledge of this period helped acclimatise me to the tale. As I say it reads well, the characters are thoroughly well depicted and quite believable so forming one's opinion of them and their actions makes the book richer. It all ends reasonably well as the best stories tend to do. I am not sure if I shall dip into others of this author's works (for reasons given at the top) but neither do i rule out the possibility if I'm looking for a good read with nothing else to hand. Thank you for the pleasure you gave me Guy.
on 13 June 2016
What a book! Having only read one of his novels - Under Heaven - before I had moderate expectations. Though lyrical and well written UH had left me unsure what I thought of it. The Last Light of The Sun on the other hand had me spellbound. Fully rounded characters who you could believe in, brilliant plotting with a hint of the fantasy but not overwhelmed by it and allowing the all too human emotions and traits of grief, anger, love, longing and honour (among many others) to come to the fore left me spellbound. What a novel. Ignore those who say it has too many characters (it doesn't by the way) and enjoy being transported.
A second treat for me (as someone who has lived in or around Narberth for the last 15 years) is the welsh setting. The welsh name for Narberth is Arberth. I'd love to know if that was intentional.
on 30 September 2013
Unlike some of the reviewers, I have never read anything by this writer before. It is a sort imagined history set amongst the Vikings, Welsh Celts and Anglo Saxons and sets out a story that is essentially about four families who run into various troubles (two of the families are royal and one is part of the viking raiders). It is very well writtten as you really want to know what happens to each of the characters, despite the reviews saying they were stock characters or other cnaracters in other books were easier to emotionally connect to. I'm not sure I would describe it purely as fantasy (although there is some bits of magic in it), as you may well find you enjoy it simply if you like historical ficton. I certainly enjoyed it thoroughly enough to go out and buy another book by the same author.
on 16 June 2013
...but in this book Kay overdoes the authorial observations he likes to insert into his narratives. I haven't had a problem with this in his previous books - on the contrary, if used sparingly it's a device which can help build up the atmosphere in his novels - but here he indulges in it too much too often, with the result that (to my taste at any rate) it becomes something of an irritation, creating overlong and somewhat pompous hiatuses in the story. I enjoyed this book even so, but I can't agree with other reviewers who rate it more highly than "Tigana" or my own favourite, "A Song for Arbonne". One for a confirmed GGK fan rather than a reader new to his work IMHO.
on 29 October 2013
Once again this author writes beautifully of an imagined world sufficiently like our own to be recognisable but different enough to stop one trying to tie the story in to real history. His characters are believable and the story whips along at a good pace. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 28 August 2013
Hadn't read this author for many a year and this book reminded me what a great author he is. The plot was well thought out and the book is gripping from start to finish. I love how he interweaves history and fantasy.
on 24 November 2013
I loved this- the first book I had read by this author. What a careful combination of well researched history and spiritual/ magical overtones. This is excellent alternative history and stays with me still
on 3 November 2013
As always a beautifully crafted tale with a mixture of faerie and human linked by love,loss and sadness. The many strands of lives twine to a warm ending. One of my favourite fantasy writers.
on 9 October 2013
Beautifully written and totally absorbing. Kay creates a world in which the reader becomes immersed. Far better than Lions of Al-Rassan, the only other of his books I have read so far.