Format: Paperback|Change

"The Dog That Saved My Life" is not one true story but 5 true stories of amazing dogs and their handlers.

All the stories are about dogs that have served in War Zones and shown unbelievable bravery and faithfulness. These dogs are an inspiration and they, along with their handlers are true heroes of war.

"Gander" was originally a family pet who then travelled from Canada to Hong Kong with his soldier friends and saved their lives.

"Judy" is another dog of war who survived being torpedoed and shot at and was the only dog to be officially registered as a prisoner of war.

"Bonnie" is an explosives search dog who worked with her handler in the war on Iraq and together they served in the front line.

"Rats" is recorded as the longest serving dog in the British Army and worked with the soldiers during the troubles in Northern Ireland. This dog is extra special as he had no formal training, he just trained himself and used his instinct to help his soldiers.

"Caesar" and his handler worked in the Australian Army and served their time in the Vietnam war.

Each story is an inspiration. You do not have to love dogs to enjoy this book. It is a book of courange and love which you will not be able to put down as it is an absolute page-turner.

If you like this you should also read the other book called "Beyond The Call of Duty" also by Isabel George which tells of more true stories of war animals and their handlers. Another brilliant book.
on 6 June 2013
Being ex Army and a Snifferdog handler trainer it dosent surprise me what our four legged freinds can do they are loyal and honest its a pity the human race is not the same but thats life. The book is well written some sad stories and funny ones it just goes to show what man and dog can achieve in life.
on 4 May 2017
Good read
on 5 March 2010
Any dog lover would appreciate this book, though there are some very sad elements in this collection stories of dogs in war zones. The story of Judy, the only dog to be an official prisoner of war, is especially inspirational, as she was an irrepresible survivor. It is a book I would re-read, apart from the story of Caesar, who went to Vietnam and I quote 'Eleven Tracker dogs left Australia for Vietnem - none returned.'
on 26 March 2010
Very thought provoking book bringing tears to my eyes in places. Book is being passed onto lots of family and friends for their enjoyment.
on 13 March 2010
this book contains a story about our daughter jenny with her dog bonnie. we know how brave she is, but it is nice to share this with everyone. Our family is very proud of her, and hope millions of people buy this book and help all our forces heroes.
on 17 April 2013
I loved this book - so much so that I'm now reading the next one "Beyond the call of Duty: Heart-warming sories of canine devotion..." I love dogs and believe they are truly devoted animals and the stories in this book prove that no end. Sad, but lovely!
on 12 May 2012
I didn't know much about working dogs, I'm an animal lover, and specially, dogs lover, but these stories made me look at my own dog in a different way. Is my dog as intelligent as Judy, Gander or Caesar? Now, I know much more about dogs capabilities, loyalty, hard work, fidelity and a lot of skills they have. I'm very impressed by that special and unbreakable bond that dogs develope to their human pals. Gander, Judy, Caesar, and many others, are so special furry beings. 100% recommended book. So heartwarming, sometimes so sad, and sometimes so touching.....It brought tears to my eyes many times. If you think about dogs like if they were "just animals", without feelings, you have to read this book and you'll change your mind immediately.
on 11 February 2010
Durrell, Attenborough,Darwin...and now, dare I say it, are we able to add to that Pantheon of great naturalist writers the name George? In her book, The Dog That Saved my Life, Ms George ably, succinctly, and at times touchingly, communicates the stories of the dogs who were invaluable not only for their incredible skills - but also for their absolute devotion and love, at a time when men and women needed them most. Judy, Gander and Bonnie; canine heroes and heroines whose stories are only now being told in full. I urge you to buy not one, not two but as many copies as you can to send to friends, family, acquaintances and indeed anyone you believe might be worthy of a book as god as this one. Go Isabel! I for one will be looking out for volume two....but wait!!, is that a 'phone I hear? Is that Spielberg on line two?..make that film Steven, film that book!
on 18 July 2013
Lovely collection of stories. I laughed and cried along with the men and their dogs. Yes it could have been written better but please look past that and see the dogs and their handlers for what and where they were. I would recommend this book to everyone. Its true stories of men and their dogs in war zones all over the world, how some survived and how some didnt.