on 13 February 2011
This book is huge! According to the introduction, it contains 268,000 words which represent an exhaustive list of every valid play in Scrabble. Presumably this is the same as the SOWPODS word list, which contains 267,751 words and is used for tournament play outside of the USA, Canada, Thailand and Israel.

About 75% of this substantial hardback is taken up by words of between two and nine letters in length and includes short definitions. This is invaluable as I think it makes learning words that much easier when you know the definition.

The other 25% of the book is a list of words of between ten and fifteen letters in length. No definitions here but I don't mind as, according to the book, "in any Scrabble game, most words will be between two and nine letters, with longer words being formed only very rarely." As a casual Scrabble player, I think I have some way to go before I start playing 10+ letter words!

In addition to over a quarter of a million words (!), there is a fantastic bonus section called A Quick Guide to Scrabble by Barry Grossman. This section has been lifted straight from Grossman's paperback book, Scrabble: Play to Win, included here in its (almost) entirety. About 80% of that book is included here; it is worth purchasing the paperback for the missing content as it contains additional useful tips and advice. Also, the svelte paperback is easier to carry around than this monster hardback! (See my review of Play to Win for a list of contents).

Collins Ultimate Scrabble Word List is absolutely indispensable to all Scrabble enthusiasts. I intend to keep it close to hand for all my home Scrabble games where it will no doubt come in very handy to resolve any disputes. (For Scrabble games away from home, I have a slightly more portable iPhone app containing the same list of words).

In summary, this has to be the best, most comprehensive Scrabble word list around and I recommend it unreservedly. The book is well laid out and it is easy and quick to look up words. Very good price, too. If you play Scrabble, you NEED this superb book.
on 6 January 2011
Wow what a whopper! Bought this in a hurry, did not look at the details , really intended to buy a soft back/paper back compete word list and selected the Big Daddy of all Scrabble books instead. It was intended to accompany the Travel Scrabble set bought as a Christmas gift, but the two are somewhat incompatible! But nevertheless it is a lovely, sturdy book that is nice to look through (though a little heavy to hold) and will last for years.
on 29 May 2010
We find it very useful. It has list of scrabble words along with meanings - two in one. The only drawback is that it is rather heavy.
on 6 February 2011
This book is great and gives you lots of words. Comes in very handy when disagreements about allowed words in scrabble. Great product so happy i bought it.
on 27 December 2012
It is exactly what any serious scrabble player needs. A bible! It is clearly written in fairly large print, it has hints and tips which are invaluable to learners who wish to improve their game.. I use it constantly.
on 22 January 2013
My husband and I have become obsessed with Scrabble and this bible of words is the best on the market. Only problem I have is that it is so heavy but what do you expect with billions of words in it..................
on 25 July 2011
I bought this for friends who are Scrabble fanatics and were always arguing whether a word was allowed. They are very happy with the gift as they now get twice the number of games played in the same time with very few disagreements as it contains all the words allowed.
on 13 January 2013
A large book which by it's nature isn't over portable but for Scrabble Meetings at my house it is absolutely perfect as a learning tool. We all like to check spelling or whether a word is permissible but it is so much better to learn the meaning of the word in question. Thankyou
on 13 August 2012
Have had several Scrabble word books but this one is the best yet. Words are easier to find with this being a larger format. Groups of words over nine letters in a separate section very handy.
Very heavy to have on knee when looking for a word but worth it.
Good book for browsing in between games to get an edge on competitor.
on 13 December 2011
Having started playing Scrabble over the Internet, I couldn't understand how my family each knew such obscure words - Now I Know!

This book has served as both a dictionary and as a great Scrabble aid, helping us to "Hold Our Own" and "Fly The Flag" for our generation!

The added bonus has been that we have learnt many new words, too!